Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Hyundai Kona Electric Ground Clearance Speed Bumps

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  cdlb 
#1 ·
I nearly bought the Kona Electric. What put me off was it bottomed out on a 20mph speed bump on a road in Sheffield here in the UK. Was doing only 20mph over it. Not much ground clearance and this can't be good for the batteries

#7 ·
So apparently speed bumps in the UK can be up to 10cm high, so if you managed to bottom out with 15cm ground clearance, you might have been going a bit too quick for the suspension to react. In your other post on the forum, you mention driving a Jeep Cherokee - that has probably about a good 50% more ground clearance than a Kona (and a lot of cars), so you can't drive them the same over bumps.

#14 ·
Never had an issue with speed bumps catching the battery in either Kona. As posted earlier, the Volt had a rubber lip at the front that scraped on every slight bump in the road but could be 'reset' by pushing the tags back in.
I just went outside and checked and the Niro battery sits at very much the same height.

The Elan scrapes it's bottom on every bump in the road but that's more to do with the weight of the driver.

#17 ·
15cm is probably slightly low for an SUV style vehicle, but it's very normal for a road car - e.g I think a Metro was something like 12cm, a 206 or a Golf are maybe 14cm, my last few Passats around 15cm. I can understand the complaint if you're regularly going up dirt tracks and bouncing over tree roots, but you'd think 15cm clearance would be plenty for hooning around the Morrison's car park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.