Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

As per title really - looking to p/x my 'old' 2019 ICE Ford Kuga ST-Line for a Hyundai Kona to add a second EV to my driveway (no more ICE in this family!).

We're aware the Kuga is much larger, and the bootspace on the Kuga is larger (litre capacity) but does any Kona owner happen to have a tape measure handy? Looking to get width, depth and height measurements to figure out if our dog can fit in comfortably.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Unfortunately my Kona has been bought back due to the battery recall. But what size dog is your furry friend? We have two. A black lab about 60 lbs and a small 20 lbs beagle.

Most of the time they rode in the back seats with a dog hammock. But we also had 4 adults in the car with the two riding in the boot (cover removed, obviously).

They loved both options. The latter one probably more since they could lick ears easier ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying - that's a shame re: battery recall? I assume you've been given a courtesy vehicle whilst that's being 'repaired' (not sure if they can even do that?).

We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - she thinks she's royalty though. So not too big. I guess it's fitting in the dog cage which we were concerned about.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hyundai bought back my car, so right now I'm EV-less.

Well I can't help any more with measuring for the crate size, sorry.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Thanks for replying - that's a shame re: battery recall? I assume you've been given a courtesy vehicle whilst that's being 'repaired' (not sure if they can even do that?).

We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - she thinks she's royalty though. So not too big. I guess it's fitting in the dog cage which we were concerned about.
Why not visit your local dealer with dog cage to hand?

When I bought an MX5 many years back the salesman said he was quite used to people turning up with suitcases and golf clubs to try in the boot but his bass guitar was only thing he'd needed the external luggage rack for.

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,176 Posts
We've just got a Kona so I've measured it. I assume you prefer colonial measurements - I make it 40" wide (48" into the cubby holes) x 28" deep at the bottom (20" at the top) x 28" high (from the raised floor to the boot lid frame).

Reactions: robsimm

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
We've just got a Kona so I've measured it. I assume you prefer colonial measurements - I make it 40" wide (48" into the cubby holes) x 28" deep at the bottom (20" at the top) x 28" high (from the raised floor to the boot lid frame).
Don't forget you can lower the base if you need a bit more space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not visit your local dealer with dog cage to hand?

When I bought an MX5 many years back the salesman said he was quite used to people turning up with suitcases and golf clubs to try in the boot but his bass guitar was only thing he'd needed the external luggage rack for.
Great idea - will take it along with me. I'm sure they've seen worse ;).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Trevor. Really helpful. Based on these measurements I think the boot is large enough for the crate.

I was meaning to ask - what's your impressions of the vehicle since you took delivery? What colour did you go for?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't forget you can lower the base if you need a bit more space.
“Lower the base…” Can you expand on this @Duncan? I know there is an under-boot storage area, but can all this be removed or something (my Kona E is on order. I haven’t got it yet…..).

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,176 Posts
I was meaning to ask - what's your impressions of the vehicle since you took delivery? What colour did you go for?
Early days yet - it's officially the wife's car, and I haven't taken it on a long journey yet. Overall pretty good, though the boot is smaller than I expected. I've swapped from a BMW i3 which has a tiny boot and expected it to be much bigger. In fact the boot liner from the i3 is quite a good fit for the Kona, though the Kona boot is probably taller. We've found the interface/screen a bit confusing, as well as other functions, so at some point we may be forced to even read the manual. It's quite lively, and the range capabilities look to be as good as promised. That was the key factor, given it's low price point.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
“Lower the base…” Can you expand on this @Duncan? I know there is an under-boot storage area, but can all this be removed or something (my Kona E is on order. I haven’t got it yet…..).
If you take the base out of the boot and remove the top polystyrene container then you can put the base back in a couple of inches lower. As you can see in the picture from the old thread it isn't quite flat any more but it is intended to go in either position and gives you just a little bit more height.

Reactions: CJKonaE

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you take the base out of the boot and remove the top polystyrene container then you can put the base back in a couple of inches lower. As you can see in the picture from the old thread it isn't quite flat any more but it is intended to go in either position and gives you just a little bit more height.
Thanks for this @Duncan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts