Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai have been banging on about their next generation FCEV for a while.

Now the Times’ resident Hydrogen fanboy is raving about how much better they are than a Tesla. Forget about the Kona or Niro that will soon be available, Hydrogen is the future:

The Rufford Review: Hyundai Nexo

Now, he starts off by saying that it will be available to buy in the UK. However I can’t see anything on the Hyundai website?

Any idea if they will actually supply demo models to dealerships?

Fully Charged also just reviewed one:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Lol, second paragraph where "hydrogen is cheaper than diesel" got me.

Definitely in the pay of Big Oil.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,613 Posts
Looks a lot better than the Kona! Shame they aren't making an EV version...then they wouldn't be able to make them fast enough!

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's a really nice car, I've not driven it but I've had a chance to poke around it on some dealer training back in July, it's apparently on sale in Europe already and should be released here in March/April time.

No real word on who's getting one however I should imagine it'll only be the dealers within spitting distance of a station and it'll possibly be down to individual dealers as to who actually wants to have one. After that they'll have to send the techs and sales guys on the relevant training, after all anyone that's looking at buying one will really want to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about.

I've heard on the grapevine they've already got 100 orders, however it wasn't clear if that was in the UK, Europe or Globally. I can see most UK buyers being people with plenty of disposable who need something new to talk about at dinner parties, it's not really a car so much an engineering showcase.

'Clean' Hydrogen like they have at the Beaconsfield services is generated on-site powered from a wind turbine so it's relatively expensive, 'Dirty' Hydrogen from fossil fuels is apparently way cheaper. (This is what I've been told anyway, haven't looked at the prices to compare).

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
'Clean' Hydrogen like they have at the Beaconsfield services is generated on-site powered from a wind turbine so it's relatively expensive, 'Dirty' Hydrogen from fossil fuels is apparently way cheaper. (This is what I've been told anyway, haven't looked at the prices to compare).
I wonder how many cars per hour the Beaconsfield site can service?
The old argument that H2 cars can be filled in the same time as a petrol/diesel car will be shown to be a joke as the tank is depleted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In theory about 13, if everyone practices perfect etiquette and fills up from empty. Which they won't on either account.

From memory it has an 80kg storage tank and the Nexo holds just over 6kgs of H2 with a 5 minute fill up from empty out of the 700bar nozzle. (Again these are the figures of what I've been told, not what I've spent time investigating).

As to how fast it replenishes, I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I don't think it works like that as less in the storage tank means slower filling.
Even so, 13 cars only and replenishing will be glacially slow.

I couldn't find a cost but I bet you could install numerous Rapids for the price of this white elephant and I know what I would prefer to live close to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts