1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a look at this.

Will they really?
Well I suppose they could if BlueLink is working :mad:
The question is should they if they can?

·
Registered
Kona 64
658 Posts
Not a problem for me as I do not have the complication of Blue Link. I would be quite happy to get a preloaded card thought to spend on charging. Hyundai UK are always behind the curve, I wonder when we will get to hear.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,913 Posts
Have hyundai said how long it will take to replace all the affected batteries? I'd be a bit annoyed if I had an affected car and suddenly 20% of capacity was lost to me over night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If not resolved quickly I forsee a class lawsuit, similar to the current "dieselgate" no win no fee campaign.
It will be about battery capacity and range - when we bought our car a good part of that decision was based on the range of the car in comparison to competitor vehicles.
We bought the Kona for its claimed range - even after Hyundai downgraded it's original advertised range.
Not happy to lose 20%.
Hyundai need to get their act into gear before they're swamped by claims for compensation.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
interesting situation if the usable capacity is still above the capacity warranty, not sure there's much to argue against then.

Reactions: richtrash

·
Registered
Kona64
1,656 Posts
Can we take it if the company has not informed me to date that " I may have an issue " , then my car is NOT in the affected group?
I would assume the lawyers would have been running the letters to the postbox themselves to have got their " we told you not to do X " proof out there ASAP

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
So a 200 dollar sweetener will be given - this looks as if it is aimed at the US market.
And looking at a US Kona EV forum I noticed two posts from the same person,

11 April 7.42 pm
"Overnight our car's charge limit was reduced to 80% for AC and DC charging. On Bluelink the limit can't be set above 80% now"

11 April 10.48 pm
"My wife was able to change the settings back to 100% through the infotainment screen, and the car took a full charge. All is well again."

And AFAIK the European/ UK Bluelink doesnt actually have a menu item for setting the charging limit, it can only monitor the state of charge and set a charging time schedule.

My current conclusion is that this is just a bit of scaremongering and very likely not relevant to the UK.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Perhaps more so!

If not resolved quickly I forsee a class lawsuit, similar to the current "dieselgate" no win no fee campaign.
It will be about battery capacity and range - when we bought our car a good part of that decision was based on the range of the car in comparison to competitor vehicles.
We bought the Kona for its claimed range - even after Hyundai downgraded it's original advertised range.
Not happy to lose 20%.
Hyundai need to get their act into gear before they're swamped by claims for compensation.
I'll be honest I think its way more likely to succeed than the Dieselgate as well. Whilst the diesel one had "some" merit, what had the buyers actually lost? It could be easily shown that all cars get different figures for fuel economy to tests and the purchasers actual financial loss was minimal.

However, to lose 20% of your battery when as much as 80-90% of the buying decision for an EV is based on range (mine was initially 100% - in that I only looked at cars that had over 200m range in the depth of winter, I didn't even consider a car that didn't, then once shortlisted I went and looked at them and a normal selection process happened) so you could quite legitimately say that you would not have bought the car at all.

If they have any sense they will cover this with free rapid charging for everyone affected - and perhaps for a further 6 months or something to keep everyone happy - perhaps with a disclaimer that people won't sue for loss of range or inconvenience at a later date? That's what I would do.

interesting situation if the usable capacity is still above the capacity warranty, not sure there's much to argue against then.
Not sure about that either - if I have a 7 year warranty that promises 70% SOH up until 2028 - then I will be expecting a gradual deterioration... Not to lose 20% in a month or so after ownership. Plus it's not a "natural level of decay" but an artificial restriction placed upon the user without their consent by the manufacturer.

As said above - they should act decisively, and fast with a practical solution that will keep 99% of owners happy and could even be argued to be a benefit in excess of the problem of the 80%.

80% of a Kona range is about what, 200m + ? So if you are limited to that, the only times 80% will pose a problem is if

a) You have no home charger - well then you charge on a rapid for free rather than having to go off to find a cheap / free granny / 7KWh charger locally - so you have a gain.

b) Long trip - You will perhaps have to make an extra stop or two, however those stops become free not paid for - so again a gain for the user to slightly offset the mild inconvenience.

However - if a rapid charger would normally charge to 80% - what will the new top level be, 60%? Then I can see even more problems. If this cap was to protect the battery, they wouldn't' want to allow rapid charging right up to it I wouldn't have thought!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Can we take it if the company has not informed me to date that " I may have an issue " , then my car is NOT in the affected group?
I would assume the lawyers would have been running the letters to the postbox themselves to have got their " we told you not to do X " proof out there ASAP
No. Hyundai UK are trying to pretend there is not a problem as their latest statement by email to me was - I just wanted to note that the announcements made in Korea and the USA are of those countries vehicle specifications, they are also made at different factories as opposed to the UK Specification Vehicles. HMUK (Hyundai UK) are investigating and establishing the situation in relation to the models sold with a UK specification!

My response is in this thread - KONA EV) 14th Fire While Quick Charging in korea.!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
My understanding is that the charging limitation is for DC chargers only. Because it has always been cars charging to 100% on DC chargers that have caught fire. I personally never charge to 100% on a DC charger anyway because it's a waste of time. Get on the road to another charger and charge up to 80% again.

I do not believe that there is a charging limit set on the AC charger that most of us use at home.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My understanding is that the charging limitation is for DC chargers only. Because it has always been cars charging to 100% on DC chargers that have caught fire. I personally never charge to 100% on a DC charger anyway because it's a waste of time. Get on the road to another charger and charge up to 80% again.

I do not believe that there is a charging limit set on the AC charger that most of us use at home.
Hyundai UK have made no statement about charging limits (or anything else to do with the battery fires)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hyundai UK have made no statement about charging limits (or anything else to do with the battery fires)
Indeed. But for the US owners, that I posted about previously in the other thread, it’s only a DC charging limitation. Not AC. You can still charge to 100% at home on AC.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
562 Posts
This was the email that one US owner posted on FB. There is nothing mentioned about that applying to DC only and that subject has not been raised on any other posts I've seen on any forums or social media.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just got all the battery recall related software updates done. Bluelink is limited to 80% but you can still change it to 100% in the car if really needed.
Some other thoughts and effects of the update process are documented here:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts