Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

I’d 3 tour pro problems

4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  TheDrownedApe 
#1 ·
Hi all the software shows 2.0 but when we use the heating in the car it straight takes off 150 miles from range I’m thinking this needs a software update it’s booked in for 28 th for diagnostic they said I’ve asked them to check if there is a software update for our car and they have said there is no, reading here everyone says 2.1 is out should I demand they search for that software?

#2 ·
If you're not on 2.1 (0792) then you need an upgrade. 2.3 is coming over the air and if you're not on 2.1 then you can't get 2.3.

Do you mean your range is dropping by 150 miles or dropping to 150 miles?

I like a cool car, I can tolerate a pretty cold car in the winter as I really don't like warm air blowing at me, so i'm more likely to use a bit of aircon in the Summer and not use much heat in the Winter.

When i've charged to 80% and had an indicated 190 miles left with no aircon on, the moment I put that aircon on, it drops to about 160 miles. This is because the car is working out range based on current consumption. If I were to run the car flat from that state of charge, having the aircon for those 160 miles would use as much power as driving 30 miles without aircon.

It's as simple as that. Turn the aircon off and those 30 lost miles suddenly reappear because you didn't use that energy after all, and it's available to propel the car further.

#3 ·
Ours is today the range showed 252 but soon has we put the heating on it went from 252 to 100 but once we turned it off it went back to the 251 range the previous I’d 3 1st edition did this but after a software update we only tend to loose 30 to 40 range off mileage so wondering if it wonts a update

#8 ·
The drop in indicated range does seem excessive unless you're literally challenging the system at max heating (28C?), which wouldn't be sustainable for long until you would pass out. As soon as you turn it down to sensible levels, the indicated range should recover somewhat.

Your initial range indicated (at 80% charge?) Seems incredibly optimistic. At 80% charge I wouldn't expect more than indicated 200 mikes, unless you somehow manage an average 4.5-5 miles per kWh. Similarly, unless maxing out heating, an 80% charge with range of 100 miles seems massively pessimistic.

If you're still on 2.0 and not 2.1, you need a warranty update at your chosen dealership branch.

#10 ·
What sort of miles are you doing?

If you are only doing short urban journeys then it might actually be clever enough to be right. If all you do is a few miles at a time then the burden of electrical power is very high as you have to heat the car up each time you get in, it might be making an assessment of that based on your recent driving habits.

If so, then, yes, your range might well be 100 miles (say, 20 times a 5 mile round trip journey = 40 times heating up the cabin = 1kWh to heat up the cabin = .... probably right).

The Ampera that I could get 50 miles from easily would drop to less than 20 miles if I did several short trips in the cold. Of course, if I was doing more miles than that I'd do something different to go further (in that case, use the engine for heat and power).

What you are reporting is not beyond the bounds of expectation (if short urban trips is how you have been driving the car). Welcome to the brave new world of EVs.

#21 ·
Nevertheless OP, even though you’ve solved this problem by taking the heating off ‘scorchio mode’, you still need to get the software updated for a whole load of other reasons anyway.

Just call up your local dealer and tell them you have an ID.3 that’s still on the 2.0 software. They should book you in, give you a courtesy car, and update the software (it takes 2 days at least for them to do it) at no cost to yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.