Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m sat here, besides a Leaf 40. Looking at the charger, 88% charged, 7.5kWh delivered. 25 minutes and counting.

That means he arrived above 60% for a top up. Whilst I’m here at 12%, not able to go to the next charger (plan A was a dual charger, one broken, one just started a charge. Plan C is a few miles up the road, also broken)

EV rapid charging is not really rapid at 60-90%. But people don’t seem to understand this, or don’t care..........

What can be done about this? How can we educate people that charging beyond 80% is sometimes a waste of everyone’s time.

You need 90% fair enough, first come first serve. But it seems in this case, he’s just topping up over lunch. Something can be done on 7kW charger. As I’m typing, the car reached 90% and he made no move to stop charging. Thankfully the car stopped the session. If it doesn’t stop, would he say I need 100%?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I feel your pain.

Had a massive argument with a cabbie charging at 97% and when I asked if he would take long, "Another 10 min mate.."
First I tried to explain that above 90% he's just wasting time.
I know that as a foreigner sometimes my accent is present and some less educated people may not comprehend what I say. So his brick like face is possible based on that...
3 minutes on and I got back in my car and went to another place after calling him everything except "daddy"....
But was polite enough to wish him a good battery roast.

·
Registered
880 Posts
One solution: rapid chargers should automatically stop when delivering <7Kw. This would also mean that PHEVs cant even start a charge (on a rapid).
These guys (cabbies and ubbers) should have been told by the dealers that they are frying the battery with daily multiple rapid charges.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've noticed the IONIQ on the Polar chargers stops the charge at 91%. Not sure if this is rate or something specific to IONIQ. It'll crawl to 100% on the granny or 7kW chargers.

Only go to 91% if I'm not in a rush and there's no one waiting of course :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,349 Posts
Rapids should cut off below 15kW. End of.

Anyone who's got time to spare sitting with their car at lower than that needs to sell their car and retire, stop getting in the way of the rest of humanity.

:devilish:

(I do have some sympathy for the situation where the last few % might mean avoiding a second charge later ... but not much ... )

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same experience when lidl chargers were free. Rapid-gate leafs are soooooo slow in the last phase, it's agony

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had the same experience when lidl chargers were free. Rapid-gate leafs are soooooo slow in the last phase, it's agony
It's matter of knowing how to balance the process. You should stop when the charge starts to slowdown from a certain level. if you still want full charge the 7kw are far more efficient than rapid charge.
And I don't agree with the so called "rapidgate" definition.
I have a 62kw LEaf and charged 3 times in same day and didn't had any problems.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes, it would no doubt be a courtesy to stop the charge at, say, 90% but it depends where you are. At a motorway services or close to a cafe or restaurant you will probably be having coffee, breakfast, lunch, or even an evening meal! Is it reasonable to leave mid mouthful to move the car?
We stopped recently for coffee and pastry for 30 mins and the car charged 48% to 98%. We could have nipped out after 20 minutes to move but that would have meant cold coffee and/or indigestion!

Of course, the real problem is that you stop at a motorway services and there are two EH CCS/Chademo chargers in use and 10 Tesla chargers with two cars charging.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Of course, the real problem is that you stop at a motorway services and there are two EH CCS/Chademo chargers in use and 10 Tesla chargers with two cars charging
Only if you are not a Tesla stock holder hoping many people will buy Model 3s due to this........

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Rapids should cut off below 15kW. End of.

Anyone who's got time to spare sitting with their car at lower than that needs to sell their car and retire, stop getting in the way of the rest of humanity.

:devilish:

(I do have some sympathy for the situation where the last few % might mean avoiding a second charge later ... but not much ... )
^This. But also put a couple of 7kW chargepoints nearby for those who really need 100%.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Another solution is to make tariff dependent on time. Charging might not look so attractive if you are paying several pounds for the last few kWh. It might inconvenience those choosing to enjoy a meal while their car charges but they have a choice - take their time and pay a little more, or disturb their repast and move their car once charge rate starts to taper.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One solution: rapid chargers should automatically stop when delivering <7Kw. This would also mean that PHEVs cant even start a charge (on a rapid).
I think that’s fair enough. Don‘t rapids already do that? As a PHEV driver I remember learning that some years back when I was naive about such things. I quickly learned that a charge wouldn’t start on such a unit and a helpful soul educated me about the etiquette of charger use

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another solution is to make tariff dependent on time. Charging might not look so attractive if you are paying several pounds for the last few kWh. It might inconvenience those choosing to enjoy a meal while their car charges but they have a choice - take their time and pay a little more, or disturb their repast and move their car once charge rate starts to taper.
I really don't want to see this. I think you should be paying the same price for the electricity regardless of whether you've got a Porche Taycan, or a Nissan Leaf.

Cabbies on rapid chargers will soon learn when they're missing out on fairs because they're being stupid waiting for the last few percent. A few 7kW chargers next door, and a 7kW cut off on the rapid chargers should be plenty.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
I think you should be paying the same price for the electricity regardless of whether you've got a Porche Taycan, or a Nissan Leaf.
I don’t think Taycan drivers are interested in your cheap electricity. High octane all the way!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I really don't want to see this. I think you should be paying the same price for the electricity regardless of whether you've got a Porche Taycan, or a Nissan Leaf
But as well as the electricity you should be paying to use the charger and the parking space, hence I think there should be both a per khw cost and a per minute usage cost.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts