Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People, am I doing something wrong?

This is all related to 70Mph Dual Carriageways where FSD is not present (guess out of date mapping data) so only normal Autopilot is available.

Activate Autopilot, dual blue lines on display and blue steering wheel icon.

Then I want to overtake a slower moving vehicle

The Tesla Manual states

Operating Auto Lane Change
Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is active. To change lanes using Auto Lane Change:
1. Perform visual checks to make sure it is safe and appropriate to move into the target lane
2. Fully engage the appropriate turn signal and initiate the lane change by having your hands on the steering wheel.
3. Disengage the turn signal after you are in the target lane.

But, fully engaging the indicator doesn’t initiate a lane change, nothing happens apart from the indicator blinking. Slightly moving the steering wheel causes AutoSteer to cancel along with a jarring jerk of the wheel which freaks me out every time.

So, is the description in the manual wrong/not available in the UK. The jarring jerkiness is really frustrating and so much so that I am now tending to not even bother turning on AutoPilot for Dual Carriageways where FSD is not available.

Where FSD is available (single blue line) it changes lanes quite happily without any of the jerkiness.

My previous car was a Kona Electric that had AutoSteer which disengaged when you indicated to change lanes without any of the jerkiness and automatically re-engaged smoothly.

Perhaps I will get used to the way the Tesla does it, but it seems that all this technology can’t disengage AutoSteer smoothly for some reason.

Rant over 😳

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It'll only lane change on roads enabled with the mapping (you'll see multiple lanes on the render, not just one). The maps have plenty of errors where divided roads that are supposed to work aren't marked correctly, so really the only place where that works reliably is Motorways otherwise you have to manually lane change all the time.

Disengaging autopilot by moving the wheel isn't normally jarring.. it only takes a little extra pressure and can be as smooth as steering without autopilot, so I'm not sure what's wrong there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll only lane change on roads enabled with the mapping (you'll see multiple lanes on the render, not just one). The maps have plenty of errors where divided roads that are supposed to work aren't marked correctly, so really the only place where that works reliably is Motorways otherwise you have to manually lane change all the time.

Disengaging autopilot by moving the wheel isn't normally jarring.. it only takes a little extra pressure and can be as smooth as steering without autopilot, so I'm not sure what's wrong there.
Thanks, I didn’t think it was normal, it’s like the steering wheel is being yanked when disengaging via turning the wheel, so that and the really annoying bing bong noise every time I change lanes (twice, cancelling and reactivating) is 😡.

·
Registered
543 Posts
When you indicate first, the force needed to disengage Autopilot by turning the steering wheel is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
194 Posts
People, am I doing something wrong?

This is all related to 70Mph Dual Carriageways where FSD is not present (guess out of date mapping data) so only normal Autopilot is available.

Activate Autopilot, dual blue lines on display and blue steering wheel icon.

Then I want to overtake a slower moving vehicle

The Tesla Manual states

Operating Auto Lane Change
Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is active. To change lanes using Auto Lane Change:
1. Perform visual checks to make sure it is safe and appropriate to move into the target lane
2. Fully engage the appropriate turn signal and initiate the lane change by having your hands on the steering wheel.
3. Disengage the turn signal after you are in the target lane.

But, fully engaging the indicator doesn’t initiate a lane change, nothing happens apart from the indicator blinking. Slightly moving the steering wheel causes AutoSteer to cancel along with a jarring jerk of the wheel which freaks me out every time.

So, is the description in the manual wrong/not available in the UK. The jarring jerkiness is really frustrating and so much so that I am now tending to not even bother turning on AutoPilot for Dual Carriageways where FSD is not available.

Where FSD is available (single blue line) it changes lanes quite happily without any of the jerkiness.

My previous car was a Kona Electric that had AutoSteer which disengaged when you indicated to change lanes without any of the jerkiness and automatically re-engaged smoothly.

Perhaps I will get used to the way the Tesla does it, but it seems that all this technology can’t disengage AutoSteer smoothly for some reason.

Rant over 😳
You’re getting your wording slightly confused. The “FSD” that you’re talking about is navigate on autopilot, or NOA. That is when the single blue line appears in the middle and your car should drive on ramp to off ramp, and only need confirmation from you, but that’s motorways only. It will work on A roads, but it’s temperamental. The car should also lane change to get in the right lane to follow the intended route, or to overtake slow moving vehicles. Again, this is temperamental.

If there is no route in the navigation, you’ll get the two blue lines and initiate overtaking yourself. It only truly works on motorways, like I said before. A roads are hit and miss, but hopefully as and when the restrictions are lifted and the map data is changed, we’ll be able to use this functionality on more roads.

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
98 Posts
I only have AP, not EAP or FSD but when in use, using the indicator always disables autosteer without needing to apply steering pressure (therefore no slight jerking of the wheel)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have AP, not EAP or FSD but when in use, using the indicator always disables autosteer without needing to apply steering pressure (therefore no slight jerking of the wheel)
That sounds a much better way of it working and is what my old Kona Electric did, the moment you indicated the AutoSteer would deactivate and reactivate when indicating finished. Is that a setting you have enabled for some reason yours works differently, or is it because your have AP only.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That sounds a much better way of it working and is what my old Kona Electric did, the moment you indicated the AutoSteer would deactivate and reactivate when indicating finished. Is that a setting you have enabled for some reason yours works differently, or is it because your have AP only.
The difference is the auto steer does not reactivate. you have to double tap again to activate

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
98 Posts
It deactivates with the indicator & is reset manually by a double click of the RH stalk once the manoeuvre is complete.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I got EAP with mine and after the first few days was beginning to question whether or not I had been duped! Good news is that after a few weeks and a couple of long journeys I'm finding that it's starting to justify itself. When NOA is active and the roads aren't too busy and there are no speed demons hacking up the outside lane at 90 it works quite well. Another way to view it is a £3400 investment in removing lane change bings and bongs ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts