Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I’ve cancelled my MG ZS EV order and bought a titanium silver Soul 30 on a 67 plate! Bought to order at auction from eco-cars.net. Hammer fell yesterday at £14,800 plus fees. 21,000 miles on the clock.

Any top tips from you experienced Soul owners before I take delivery on Monday night? Any quirks and foibles I need to be aware of?

Heard the 12v battery can do some weird things, should I be buying a solar battery conditioner for it?

We’re on Octopus Go, so will be charging on the timer at night. I know going to 100% is not considered the best so will probably limit the charge timings to cut it short of a full charge. Or, do you all just go ahead to 100% as it’s only going to be sitting at full charge for a few hours til morning?

Will add some cross climates in the coming month or so.

thanks for any tips

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi all

I’ve cancelled my MG ZS EV order and bought a titanium silver Soul 30 on a 67 plate! Bought to order at auction from eco-cars.net. Hammer fell yesterday at £14,800 plus fees. 21,000 miles on the clock.

Any top tips from you experienced Soul owners before I take delivery on Monday night? Any quirks and foibles I need to be aware of?

Heard the 12v battery can do some weird things, should I be buying a solar battery conditioner for it?

We’re on Octopus Go, so will be charging on the timer at night. I know going to 100% is not considered the best so will probably limit the charge timings to cut it short of a full charge. Or, do you all just go ahead to 100% as it’s only going to be sitting at full charge for a few hours til morning?

Will add some cross climates in the coming month or so.

thanks for any tips
Mine is an 18 plate, just coming up on 15,000 from new, as I'm leasing it I've not been too careful about charging and just gone to 100% from around 25-30% when needed (on Octopus Go), so far I've seen no adverse affects on winter or summer range. The car has had a fair few rapids when shopping at Lidl. But (touch wood) it's been 16 months of care free driving. Only thing I did was switch the eco Michelin's to CrossClimate+ within the first month of ownership, this removed wheel spin when putting power down pulling away from a stop (my new e-Golf was even worse on its Bridgestone's (plus greater torque) so I've just done the same on that).

I've (again touches fake desk wood) not had any issues with the 12V battery.

It's interesting to see what price it went for, I may have to consider getting Jonathan to track down my car when it goes off lease to see if he can get it for me from BCA. I'd be more than happy to pay circa £15K and keep it long term.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats. I've had my '65 plate for just over a year now and loving it so far. I've not had any problems and it has been easy care-free motoring, although I have just ordered a cheap cigarette lighter battery voltage meter to keep an eye on that in the winter. I also keep a jump-starter power pack thingy in the boot just in case, but as I say no issues so far and the car is four years old now.
Personally I set the overnight charging during the week to charge to 80% every night which is more than enough for my daily commute, and to 100% at the weekends just so it is ready if we decide to go further afield.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I had a 16 plate one for a while. They are very well specced and generally well built cars. Main quirk is that you can't charge to 100% on a rapid. It stops at 84% on the older cars and some higher figure on the later ones. You can restart to get to a higher percentage on the earlier cars but I think the later ones are a hard limit. It's very slow so barely worth doing anyway.

Some of the 12v battery management is a bit poor. Mine was going near flat in a couple of days in winter. Hopefully they will have sorted it out by now.

Another thing which I hope they will have fixed is the reconnect to bluetooth audio source doesn't happen automatically when you start the car. You always had to press the media button to get it to start the music as it always reverted to the radio.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a 16 plate one for a while. They are very well specced and generally well built cars. Main quirk is that you can't charge to 100% on a rapid. It stops at 84% on the older cars and some higher figure on the later ones. You can restart to get to a higher percentage on the earlier cars but I think the later ones are a hard limit. It's very slow so barely worth doing anyway.

Some of the 12v battery management is a bit poor. Mine was going near flat in a couple of days in winter. Hopefully they will have sorted it out by now.

Another thing which I hope they will have fixed is the reconnect to bluetooth audio source doesn't happen automatically when you start the car. You always had to press the media button to get it to start the music as it always reverted to the radio.
The 30kWh models stop at 94% on a rapid, and that is a hard limit.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Congrats, been loving "my" Soul 30 which will be going back soon, struggling with what to get, looks like the new Soul is out for a year at least, Kona is an eye watering £450/month lease. I might look at a s/h Soul.
When you say "bought to order" can you explain a bit what that means? Did you have someone bid on it for you?
p.s Most people would agree with this i think, as a "tip" if it has teh original tyres, dont replace with the same type. I see michelin cross climate recommended quite a lot, any comments folks?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Another Joe

For the last 6 months or so I’ve been registered on the BCA auctions website. I set up an alert for Soul EV’s so I get an email alert whenever new stock comes in. All the drive electric £199 lease cars go back to BCA by default so there should be a steady supply coming through. In the last few months the 30’s have started appear from those on 2 year leases.

You see a set of photos of the car on BCA, similar to what you’d see on Autotrader, and a description of what is included, eg both cables, both keys, sim card, log book, service history. You also see a condition appraisal with a description of every mark on the car and close up photos of anything they feel necessary. This covers the trim inside as well as the bodywork outside.

You have to be careful with the 17 and 67 plates as they could be 27’s or 30’s.

Jonathan Porterfield who runs eco-cars.net in Orkney will buy cars to order at auction for a fee of £300. This is less than you would pay buying at auction directly yourself as a non trader.

I just told him which car I’d like him to bid on from the BCA alert I got and what my max bid was. The auction was in Edinburgh and we are in Leicestershire, so Jonathan has also arranged delivery to my door for an additional fee. On delivery I’ll get a demo drive and walk through of the car before they leave.

If you set up a BCA alert before your car goes back you could then ask Jonathan to bid on your car to try and buy it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all so far for your experience with the car and tips.

The car is being delivered to me on Monday evening. As it was a 2 year lease car, the first service was done by Kia Inverness (I established this by calling them to satisfy myself it had a service history) but the second one was not due (by a week) when the car went back. It’s taken a month to come through to auction so when I get it the second service will be a month overdue. Kia Leicester were ok with this and the warranty will be intact but I’m getting them to service it on Tuesday. £99.50 as the second service needs brake fluid change. I’ll ask them for a traction battery state of heath report. I get a video too apparently so will be interesting if they show the gubbins underneath.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Congratulations. Great EVs. Had the 27 and now the 30 which does surprisingly more miles on a charge. The 12v cigarette lighter battery things are worth having. Got one with an additional USB which is useful. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
No drain if left plugged in and it is reassuring to see the readout of the voltage everytime you start the car. I was caught out not having one in the previous Soul EV. Got mine on Amazon for about a tenner I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We had a problem with our 12v battery early on, but I tracked this down to asking our Zappi to charge more than the battery had available (e.g. 10kWh when there was only 8kWh left to full). Zappi kept turning the car on to try to charge, and the 12v battery was flat in the morning. Had to jump start the card a couple of times with a neighbours petrol car!! Not had the problem since I've worked out the cause, but I do carry a USB battery with jump start capability just in case. It can also charge my phone too.
Replaced the front tires with Cross Climate, and much less wheel spin in the wet - feels much more in control. Efficiency dropped from 4.4miles/kWh to 4.2mile/kWh, but autumn temperatures probably also impacted it.
Will probably extend the lease in July 2020 for a fourth year, but considering options.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First weeks commuting done and really chuffed. So much more relaxed to drive in traffic. On my morning run in when the roads are quiet I’m getting 8 miles per kWh. Between 4-5 returning home when busier. Overall for the week is about 6, but the GOM is still learning my style and route so going on efficiency and battery percentage to get an early indication of range

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
First weeks commuting done and really chuffed. So much more relaxed to drive in traffic. On my morning run in when the roads are quiet I’m getting 8 miles per kWh.
8 !!! Are you Donald signed up under an alter ego? Or on a flat bed trailer? Or driving in an Escher drawing where its permanently downhill?
Wow good on you.
p.s. Decided to splurge and ordered the new Soul now its looks like the unavailability is just US only.🤞

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know! I was amazed when I saw 8, but was over 8 the next morning (as per photo) and was 7.9 this morning. I had a gen 2 Prius for years so I think my driving style trying to keep it in EV mode or coast also suits the Soul!
Great choice on the new Soul, I think it looks great. Would take the Soul over the Niro and Kona for sure 👍

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,348 Posts
8mi/kWh is very impressive, tail wind or otherwise. What is the height difference between the ends of that route?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Donald, just had a look at the altitudes. 7.5 mile commute. Starts at 150m. 2 miles into route is down to 80m. That stretch is 60mph limit on A road. Remainder of route is 40 and 30mph limit suburban and urban as I cross Leicester centre. Altitude at destination 70m, so losing a further 10 metres along the final 5.5 miles. I was at 8.6 miles per kWh this morning with a mile to go. Red lights meant arrived at 7.9.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts