Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how it hasn't happened previously as it's a route I've driven in many times in these last two years.

30mph road (2 lanes, one way system), 3pm, visibility excellent, sunny but it's not too low in the sky. I come round a slight bend, pass under a small railway bridge and about 50 yards ahead there's a side road. BMW X5 is waiting to pull out, he looks at me and then pulls out! I panic a bit, he slams on and I have just enough room to get around him without hitting the vehicle to my right.

I'm clueless as to why the hell he'd even consider pulling out and when we get to the lights, my window is down and he says "why would you flash me if you're not gonna let me out?!" I was initially confused and said I hadn't!!

Turns out my auto headlights came on as I passed under the railway bridge!

Fortunately he was a really pleasant chap, not aggressive, and I certainly learned that I should turn auto lights off if it's nice outside!!

Could have been worse!!

· Registered
MG5 LR, Nissan LEAF 24 and various old ICE
11,817 Posts
Likewise, leaving anything more than a one second gap gets people pulling out into an already unsafe gap. Autolights seem a particular issue with people becoming totally reliant on them, and in the recent mist/fog driving around with nothing other than DRLs on.

Reactions: Rbrian

· Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
1,173 Posts
Funnily enough, on the opposite/recieving end of people flashing thier lights, I often just sit there staring at them till they budge, even if they do seemingly feel like they're doing me a favour. It does get them incredibly irate, but you're simply not supposed to do it and I'd advise everyone else to do the same. For some reason it's become some sort of message to say "Yes you're fine to go".

Auto headlights simply don't come into the equation if people knew what they're supposed to be doing in the first place.

Rule 110
Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.
You're not allowed to do it, and it's a great easy insurance scam as the person on the receiving end shouldn't have taken as it a message to go and will always be seen as at fault.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funnily enough, on the opposite/recieving end of people flashing thier lights, I often just sit there staring at them till they budge, even if they do seemingly feel like they're doing me a favour. It does get them incredibly irate, but you're simply not supposed to do it and I'd advise everyone else to do the same. For some reason it's become some sort of message to say "Yes you're fine to go".

Auto headlights simply don't come into the equation if people knew what they're supposed to be doing in the first place.

You're not allowed to do it, and it's a great easy insurance scam as the person on the receiving end shouldn't have taken as it a message to go and will always be seen as at fault.
I absolutely agree with this. The reason headlight flashing is a big problem is down to a driver's inability to read the entire situation around them. I've been waiting to pull out of a junction where I work where there's a pedestrian island (not an actual crossing) in the middle of the road 10 yards away and people driving down the road have tried to flash (I COULD assume) to signal me to go, only to end up almost wiping out the pedestrian that stepped out most likely assuming the flash was meant for them!!

If people are fully aware of their surroundings and read the road and the situation correctly, then a headlight flash can be interpreted correctly, but yeah. Many do it wrong!!

· Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
1,173 Posts
I absolutely agree with this. The reason headlight flashing is a big problem is down to a driver's inability to read the entire situation around them. I've been waiting to pull out of a junction where I work where there's a pedestrian island (not an actual crossing) in the middle of the road 10 yards away and people driving down the road have tried to flash (I COULD assume) to signal me to go, only to end up almost wiping out the pedestrian that stepped out most likely assuming the flash was meant for them!!

If people are fully aware of their surroundings and read the road and the situation correctly, then a headlight flash can be interpreted correctly, but yeah. Many do it wrong!!
I agree, although unfortunately there are far too many variables, right down to someone pulling the wrong stalk and wanting to wash their windscreen instead of flashing someone.
It really is a pain and people need to get out this habit of assuming they're being helpful or doing someone a favour as it's often the opposite.

It also really grinds my gears when I'm on a main road, and someone in front stops to let someone out of a side road thinking they're assisting said person. They're often then oblivious to the 10 cars that have had to stop behind them on the main road that they've just inconvenienced.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, although unfortunately there are far too many variables, right down to someone pulling the wrong stalk and wanting to wash their windscreen instead of flashing someone.
It really is a pain and people need to get out this habit of assuming they're being helpful or doing someone a favour as it's often the opposite.

It also really grinds my gears when I'm on a main road, and someone in front stops to let someone out of a side road thinking they're assisting said person. They're often then oblivious to the 10 cars that have had to stop behind them on the main road that they've just inconvenienced.
I had a feeling this was where this conversation would head 😂 people so oblivious to the inconvenience they cause just to help one driver that is actually prepared to wait for a gap anyway!!

There's another bad one where I work. I have to cross a road at a 4 way junction, it's a controlled crossing and a line of traffic has a green filter light to allow them to turn right, onto the road I need to cross. It doesn't stay green long and let's around 6-7 cars through and it's ALWAYS the first car, they decide it's ok to start the turn and then "helpfully" stop right in the mouth of the junction to wave me to cross, causing 6 cars to slam on and block the junction. Obviously I don't cross because the crossing light for me is red! I've often shouted at people "NEVER EVER stop to let people cross here!"

· Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
1,173 Posts
I think that's only if they're crossing the end of a side road, but even then they always walk out without looking anyway
Yep, if you're turning into a side road, the pedestrian gets right of way. You'd be an idiot to be crossing a side road without looking anyway and waiting so it's essentially just giving a bit of clarity when things come to legal action. Considering how much busier roads get each year, there needs to be more emphasis put on education. Whatever happened to the green cross code?

· Registered
639 Posts
Did see one of the UK TV police chase shows.

Unmarked car turned on their lights to pull car in front, someone else saw the headlight flash, presumed it was for them, and cut in from of them.

· Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
1,421 Posts
I'm not a fan of autolights. Mine always seem to come on of it's a just bit shady.
Not only that, I picked my car up from a service the other week and they'd obviously turned them off auto. So I drove 15 miles home on just front DRLs!
I've done it a few times.
It's the combination of DRLs that make you think your lights are on (in built up areas at least) and the permanently lit digital dashboards that lead to this. I've often forgotten to turn them on after turning off auto whilst at a rapid charger.
I'd far prefer just a warning on the dash to suggest you turn your lights on.
Also, as they.come on as soon as your start the car, people tend to just leave them on unnecessarily, in days gone by most people would just put their sidelights on whilst waiting, Eg whilst waiting opposite your house.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did see one of the UK TV police chase shows.

Unmarked car turned on their lights to pull car in front, someone else saw the headlight flash, presumed it was for them, and cut in from of them.
Road wars, I remember it well, the lady even gave them a thank you wave 😂 but that's a good point, they activated their lights at the worst possible moment and, as advanced drivers, should have anticipated the waiting car potentially misinterpreting the lights

· Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
1,173 Posts
I'm not a fan of autolights. Mine always seem to come on of it's a just bit shady.
Not only that, I picked my car up from a service the other week and they'd obviously turned them off auto. So I drove 15 miles home on just front DRLs!
I've done it a few times.
It's the combination of DRLs that make you think your lights are on (in built up areas at least) and the permanently lit digital dashboards that lead to this. I've often forgotten to turn them on after turning off auto whilst at a rapid charger.
I'd far prefer just a warning on the dash to suggest you turn your lights on.
Also, as they.come on as soon as your start the car, people tend to just leave them on unnecessarily, in days gone by most people would just put their sidelights on whilst waiting, Eg whilst waiting opposite your house.
I do, to be fair get a dash warning on my GTE if the headlights are manually turned off and it's dark enough to have them on.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't know how it hasn't happened previously as it's a route I've driven in many times in these last two years.

30mph road (2 lanes, one way system), 3pm, visibility excellent, sunny but it's not too low in the sky. I come round a slight bend, pass under a small railway bridge and about 50 yards ahead there's a side road. BMW X5 is waiting to pull out, he looks at me and then pulls out! I panic a bit, he slams on and I have just enough room to get around him without hitting the vehicle to my right.

I'm clueless as to why the hell he'd even consider pulling out and when we get to the lights, my window is down and he says "why would you flash me if you're not gonna let me out?!" I was initially confused and said I hadn't!!

Turns out my auto headlights came on as I passed under the railway bridge!

Fortunately he was a really pleasant chap, not aggressive, and I certainly learned that I should turn auto lights off if it's nice outside!!

Could have been worse!!
Car brand please so we may criticise. If Tesla , you remain silent on the matter.,

· Registered
2021 Kia Soul EV
233 Posts
I suspect most road users out there can't even toilet themselves
Wife is a teacher, has kids in her class wearing pull up nappies, not news, you say, lots of primary schools are facing that. Except, they are 14 years old, no disabilities or mental health issues, just never been trained. Parents don’t see it as an issue, I mean, really?

· Registered
3,503 Posts
Wife is a teacher, has kids in her class wearing pull up nappies, not news, you say, lots of primary schools are facing that. Except, they are 14 years old, no disabilities or mental health issues, just never been trained. Parents don’t see it as an issue, I mean, really?
Ah yes… my Mum, retired teacher, always said… parents night told you everything you needed to know about problem kids. Apperent wealth did not factor. Now of course many these ‘conditions’ come with free money…

1 - 20 of 73 Posts