Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,777 Posts
The whole thing is a bit of a mess in terms of how it’s laid out in the app, and explained. There are “departure times” and then also “preferred times”.

The only way to get to charging settings, is via “Departure times”, even though half of the settings are independent of departure times, and seemingly don’t rely on any departure time being set.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle

Product Font Screenshot Material property Rectangle

“No active charging time” - that’s fairly miseleading given that the car is automatically and actively charging right now..

Automotive parking light White Product Blue Car

“Your vehicle will be charged automatically IF it is situated at this charging location at chosen times”… right, okay, well none of these times are turned on and it has still started charging automatically…

Font Screenshot Electric blue Parallel Rectangle

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

“Instant charging”…why is that in quotations when that term hasn’t been used anywhere else?

Only shortly before your desired departure time it will charge to the maximum value” … right, but I don’t have a desired departure time set - my movements are flexible.

So if I set “charge immediately” to 90% that will (apparently) ignore all other settings, and start charging to 90% regardless of both any departure time and the “preferred times”.

And if I set the normal “charge to” slider to 90%, I’m told that will only charge in advance of a set departure time.

I just simply want it to charge up to 90%, but to only do so during the “preferred times”, and even if no departure time is set. Incredibly, it seems there is nothing that clearly facilitates that - or at least nothing that actually says it will do that.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,867 Posts
The whole thing is a bit of a mess in terms of how it’s laid out in the app, and explained. There are “departure times” and then also “preferred times”.

The only way to get to charging settings, is via “Departure times”, even though half of the settings are independent of departure times, and seemingly don’t rely on any departure time being set.

View attachment 152312

View attachment 152313
“No active charging time” - that’s fairly miseleading given that the car is automatically and actively charging right now..

View attachment 152314
“Your vehicle will be charged automatically IF it is situated at this charging location at chosen times”… right, okay, well none of these times are turned on and it has still started charging automatically…

View attachment 152315
View attachment 152316
“Instant charging”…why is that in quotations when that term hasn’t been used anywhere else?

Only shortly before your desired departure time it will charge to the maximum value” … right, but I don’t have a desired departure time set - my movements are flexible.

So if I set “charge immediately” to 90% that will (apparently) ignore all other settings, and start charging to 90% regardless of both any departure time and the “preferred times”.

And if I set the normal “charge to” slider to 90%, I’m told that will only charge in advance of a set departure time.

I just simply want it to charge up to 90%, but to only do so during the “preferred times”, and even if no departure time is set. Incredibly, it seems there is nothing that clearly facilitates that - or at least nothing that actually says it will do that.
Are you on 2.3? I don’t see those preferred times at all on my iOS app.

Departure times are for preheating. That’s all I can currently set in the app. Timed charging I can only do in the car.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,988 Posts
Are you on 2.3? I don’t see those preferred times at all on my iOS app.

Departure times are for preheating. That’s all I can currently set in the app. Timed charging I can only do in the car.
I was going to ask a similar question or was it the iPhone app that has those options as I don't see that on my android app. I only have the option to preheat

·
3,777 Posts
The car is on 2.3 (factory version), but I wouldn’t have thought that will have any affect on the app.

The preferred times section is a bit hidden away in the app:

Font Screenshot Number Software Rectangle

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
20 Posts

View attachment 152312

View attachment 152313

View attachment 152314

View attachment 152315
View attachment 152316

Agree that currently it is rather confusing and unpredictable.

Your requirements are the same as mine, ie you want the car to charge solely within the preferred times and to reach the desired state of charge in as few overnight periods as possible.

My suggestions:

1. Perform all the settings in the car (do not use the app for this). Reason: I 'think' that on one occasion when my car didn't charge at all it was because the car didn't think there was a departure time set even though there was one set in the app. So, initially, just use the in-car settings until you gain confidence (if you ever do) that you understand how the car behaves. Only then try using the app and see whether it works for you.

2. Always have a Departure time set (so that it shows on the 'Charging' tab of the 'Vehicle' settings). This doesn't have to be for the day following your charge, e.g. if I am plugging in on, say, a Sunday with the hope that the car will charge in the early hours of Monday then I set the departure for Tuesday morning. Reason: I've formed the belief that the car won't charge without a departure time set and if there is insufficient preferred time for the car to reach the desired state of charge then it will perform part of its charge outside the preferred times.

3. [Yet to be tested but may no longer be necessary with software 2.3] Split your single preferred time into four shorter time periods. I have found good results with splitting into approximately 50%, 25%, 16%, 9% (in round figures). Reason: whilst this appears to have no effect if the car cannot reach the desired state of charge within the preferred times, if the car can, theoretically, reach the desired state of charge then it delays the start time but miscalculates and delays for too long hence ending up either charging outside the preferred times or not reaching the desired state of charge. I have no conclusive evidence of the calculations the car performs when the preferred time is split but it does appear to get closer to the desired charge level, and frequently reaches it.

My personal experience (that of others differs) is that following these steps will reliably cause the car to charge when you want. The only remaining difficulty is that on occasion (for me about 50% of occasions!) it will not charge at the full 7 kW but at some lower level (sometimes only about 1.5 kW).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Has it been established if the screenshots from Bill N are from IOS or Android? I'm on IOS and I can't see anything regarding preferred times? Sorry if I'm missing something here. I also can't see an update for the app.

·
3,777 Posts
I’m going to see this evening if charging starts again automatically during the preferred time slot, even with no departure time set. If it does, then it seems it will do what I want it to, even though it says it won’t!

I might actually change the preferred slot to just half an hour to test whether it stops too.

my app is v1.24
Automotive parking light Product Blue Azure Automotive lighting

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Parallel

Automotive parking light White Wheel Product Blue

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have just been able to update the app to V1.24 and I still can’t see the settings for preferred times for charging. The car is on charge at the moment, so I will probably delete the app and reinstall when it’s finished.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,867 Posts
To confirm my experience, the options to control preferred charging times appeared in the iPhone app after part 1 of the 2.3 update was installed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To confirm my experience, the options to control preferred charging times appeared in the iPhone app after part 1 of the 2.3 update was installed.
Sorry to be a pain but as I said previously, I have updated the app to V1.24.0, the car is on V2.3 and I still can't see the preferred times for charging. Could you run through exactly how you get to that preferred times screen please.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
574 Posts
I think you have to at least save a "location" in the car before the options appear in the app - I don't have one saved and when I open the app and look at the Car section, Departure Times just shows this:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Parallel

My car is on 2.3 and my iOS app is v1.24.0

101 - 120 of 149 Posts