Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you will know i have bought an old Electric bike, well whilst riding around the parks and towpaths i couldn't ignore the sheer amount of rubbish and litter mindlessly thrown about, most of it cheep alcohol cans/bottles, so i used up all my own bin liners, had no spare money to buy more, so i begged some from my local council workers and set off again.
I managed 11 sacks yesterday but there is so much more to collect and get rid of.
Please write to your councils and insist they spend more on jobs for clearing thrown rubbish and enforcement action on these litterbugs.
Thank you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My village holds a clean up morning 3 or 4 Saturday mornings a year. We usually get 20 or so volunteers, and cover the local roads out to the parish boundaries. A local skip company donates a skip for the morning once a year, and the council picks up the collected rubbish from an agreed location. The parish council subs beer and sandwiches in the local pub as a thank you, and it helps keep the pub going too. It’s amazing what a bit of community spirit can do.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
#TrashTag is increasingly popular and groups are coming together to share their before and after photos.

I'll be honest, I've been thinking of doing a voluntary pick for years but haven't.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Back home loads of voluntary groups get involved in "da voar redd up" each spring. Over a couple of weeks the whole islands get cleared up. It was well organised with the council (I think) providing bags and collections and the Amenity Trust organising which group went where. Made a huge difference, not just for litter on land, but clearing up the beaches of all the stuff that washed up over winter.

Organised community action can work wonders for an area. Although I wouldn't fancy supervising kids to do it where I live now. Too much drugs here with discarded syringes and needles. :(

·
Registered
694 Posts
I agree. Great to give back some time to the community and meet like-minded people. We've got a initiative starting to adopt local railway stations for flower planting, sponsored by ScotRail.

One of my bugbears is litter lining the road near our home on the side without a footway rendering it too dangerous to pick. It's good to see action to tackle littering from vehicles being brought forward, though I suspect it will be devilish to enforce.
Keep Scotland Beautiful

·
The best there is at what I do
10,673 Posts
Some of you will know i have bought an old Electric bike, well whilst riding around the parks and towpaths i couldn't ignore the sheer amount of rubbish and litter mindlessly thrown about, most of it cheep alcohol cans/bottles, so i used up all my own bin liners, had no spare money to buy more, so i begged some from my local council workers and set off again.
I managed 11 sacks yesterday but there is so much more to collect and get rid of.
Please write to your councils and insist they spend more on jobs for clearing thrown rubbish and enforcement action on these litterbugs.
Thank you.
My council has just started charging people to take certain items to the tip, so in addition to increasing the council tax they now expect people to pay them when they take their rubbish to be disposed of responsibly, where do you think that rubbish will end up now?

While I applaud your efforts I think you are on a hiding to nothing, picking up litter is only dealing with the end result, you really need to tackle the root cause, do we need more litter bins, councils don't like to install them because someone has to empty them, they would far sooner pay someone to clean up the litter or not as they seem to have stopped doing that as well.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We organise litter picking days here, too. The Parish Council has PPE, bin bags, long handled gripper things and puts on refreshments in the village hall on the allotted day. We also have a parish councillor who loans his small tractor and trailer, which is used to collected up the full bin bags (saves people walking long distances with them).

Our first litter pick for a year (we were banned from doing them because of the nerve agent attack, and fears that there might be more agent discarded in the same way as the perfume bottle) is next Saturday. with luck we should be back to doing them regularly again now.

Timing is important; we've found that doing a "big pick" in early spring is best, as lots of discarded plastic, bottles etc is more visible in the verges before the plants start growing.

The only prohibition we have is on picking up bags of dog poo, we've been advised not to touch the stuff. This is a bit annoying, as there are some dog owners who go to the trouble of bagging their dog's poo, then either discarding the bag, or, rather bizarrely, hanging the bags up on branches like some sort of weird Christmas decoration.

It's not hard to get a litter pick organised, and we seem to be able to clear the whole village in around half a day usually, as so many people turn out to help. It ends up being quite a social event.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We organise litter picking days here, too. The Parish Council has PPE, bin bags, long handled gripper things and puts on refreshments in the village hall on the allotted day. We also have a parish councillor who loans his small tractor and trailer, which is used to collected up the full bin bags (saves people walking long distances with them).

Our first litter pick for a year (we were banned from doing them because of the nerve agent attack, and fears that there might be more agent discarded in the same way as the perfume bottle) is next Saturday. with luck we should be back to doing them regularly again now.

Timing is important; we've found that doing a "big pick" in early spring is best, as lots of discarded plastic, bottles etc is more visible in the verges before the plants start growing.

The only prohibition we have is on picking up bags of dog poo, we've been advised not to touch the stuff. This is a bit annoying, as there are some dog owners who go to the trouble of bagging their dog's poo, then either discarding the bag, or, rather bizarrely, hanging the bags up on branches like some sort of weird Christmas decoration.

It's not hard to get a litter pick organised, and we seem to be able to clear the whole village in around half a day usually, as so many people turn out to help. It ends up being quite a social event.
Dog poo is a problem here too. I simply can’t get the logic of bagging it and hanging it in the hedge, unpleasant as it is, it’s even worse than leaving it for nature to deal with! We do clear it if possible, with double bin liners and longhandled grippers only! We’ve also introduced a couple of extra bins along the local paths.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My council has just started charging people to take certain items to the tip, so in addition to increasing the council tax they now expect people to pay them when they take their rubbish to be disposed of responsibly, where do you think that rubbish will end up now?
A few years ago they started using ANPR to check vehicles using a local recycling centre. I found my car banned from using the facility after making three visits on consecutive days, whilst having a major clear out. This was in a Prius, so obviously not a van or commercial vehicle, yet I was told to either buy a commercial licence or stop using the facility.

The annoying thing is that I have a personal plate, so the ban continues, even though I've changed cars. I've tried pointing out that this policy may well increase fly tipping, but it falls on deaf ears. I did do an FoI last year to find out the cost of clearing up fly tipped refuse and it exceeds the operating cost of the local recycling centre.

·
Registered
502 Posts

While I applaud your efforts I think you are on a hiding to nothing, picking up litter is only dealing with the end result, you really need to tackle the root cause, do we need more litter bins, councils don't like to install them because someone has to empty them, they would far sooner pay someone to clean up the litter or not as they seem to have stopped doing that as well.
It depends where you are,but in a village environment it does work. There are always disappointments of course, but there is nothing like litter for attracting more litter so keeping the environment clean in the first place does matter. Also, our local district councillor is on side and will always push the council to collect rubbish and tidy up flytipping. We also all keep an eye out for it, it’s amazing what even pointing your mobile phone in the direction of anyone looking furtive in a car or pickup will do to move them on!

We are not far of the A303, and on the junction which we do clear, have a particular problems as the filling station along from us is a Costa coffee seller. Last time I felt like bagging the several hundred costa branded cups I collected and sending them direct to Costa HQ!

I not even going to think about the plastic bottles obviously used as long distance truck driver urinals, or the all too disposable nappies we found!

·
Registered
17,355 Posts
Last time I felt like bagging the several hundred costa branded cups I collected and sending them direct to Costa HQ!
‘Return to Sender’ is probably an excellent idea. Make sure you post it on Instagram/Facebook. Maybe present it in person to Costa HQ?

Newspapers lap that stuff up.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,673 Posts
It depends where you are,but in a village environment it does work. There are always disappointments of course, but there is nothing like litter for attracting more litter so keeping the environment clean in the first place does matter. Also, our local district councillor is on side and will always push the council to collect rubbish and tidy up flytipping. We also all keep an eye out for it, it’s amazing what even pointing your mobile phone in the direction of anyone looking furtive in a car or pickup will do to move them on!

We are not far of the A303, and on the junction which we do clear, have a particular problems as the filling station along from us is a Costa coffee seller. Last time I felt like bagging the several hundred costa branded cups I collected and sending them direct to Costa HQ!

I not even going to think about the plastic bottles obviously used as long distance truck driver urinals, or the all too disposable nappies we found!

Spotted these on my way to Banbury yesterday:

20190405_121219 (Large).jpg

20190405_121228 (Large).jpg

Judging by the grass they have been there a while, I'd be quite happy to pick them up and take them to the tip but if I rocked up with 6 old tyres they would want £15 off me notwithstanding losing one of my two permitted visits with tyres.

My council aren't interested in waste at all they are only interested in money, we import lots of waste from neighbouring councils to be burnt in our state of the art incinerator but they still want money from me as well as reducing other services and putting my council tax up all the while blaming government cut backs.

I've reported it on FixMyStreet so hopefully someone from the council will be along soon to remove them that's if they can navigate their way through all the pot holes.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thank you.
The council will undoubtedly fine you for being an unlicenced waste carrier when they get to know what you are doing. Near me they fined an electrician who carefully took his lunch packaging home in his van rather than burden his customer with it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I’d love to see the case history on that one.
Sorry for the duplicate. The Waltham Forest free newspaper is my source and it would have been mid 2018. I assume they insist every trdesman in the borough has a waste carriers licence. This particular guy had carefully contracted with each customer that they dispose of any waste generated on their premesis. \when they pulled him over they found no trade waste as such but deemed that his lunch eaten on site was a trade activity and therefor fined him for taking the packaging home.

So far I have found this which shows the mentality of those involved but not the actual case.
Waltham Forest council slammed by judge for 'a monumental waste of money' | Daily Mail Online

I am guilty of misinformation, he was a roofer not an electrician.
Waltham Forest Council says roofers' 'lunch waste' fine photos are 'misleading'

Roofer fined £300 for carrying sandwich wrappers and crisp packets in his van

1 - 20 of 29 Posts