Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, 'totally' new to Renault and the Zoe, I bought a Zoe yesterday, it came without the high voltage battery, I am on the lookout for a battery, any one know of one being offered for sale?
Also are the battery packs interchangeable across all years of Zoe?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Zoe R110 ZE40
332 Posts
I understand that ze20 and ze40 packs will fit each other - do know that the pack requires coding to the car and there are very few on the market! Those on the market have often been found to be faulty, but the sellers didn't have a way to check.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,563 Posts
Well you'll learn. You'll not be getting that on the road any time soon, even if you can get a battery pack good luck getting it all coded in. There is one brave chap on here upgrading a damaged 20kWh car with no battery to a 40kWh car but its been a long slog.

Seen a few folk buying bargain Zoes at Auction and then cutting their losses (substantial) a few months later when they've exhausted all avenues to a. get a battery, and b. get it working. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
everyone saying it wont work would just make me work harder to prove them wrong, hope it works out..

This is 'exactly' what happened in my last project, I was challenged by a TV personality that it couldn't be done, and I did it!.
Have a gander here:

·
Registered
173 Posts
There are a couple of batteries on ebay but looking £5000 to £6000 then the cost of fitting and coding it all in. The battery is like 450kg so needs so decent kit to lift into the bottom of the car. Without the coding issues it's simple to fit it in the car. Getting it to work is where I think there is a lack of expertise and renault don't seem to want to support much I terms of battery swaps or upgrades. If you can find a way to get it to work let us know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I saw them, but, they been around a while out car, charged/uncharged who's to say, its a big spend on a battery and without being unable to gather the data of the condition of the cells.
I'd rather see one in a car and freshly remove it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes I saw them, but, they been around a while out car, charged/uncharged who's to say, its a big spend on a battery and without being unable to gather the data of the condition of the cells.
I'd rather see one in a car and freshly remove it.
I think you might struggle most cars without a battery have had them removed by renault as they were rented. These batteries are back with them to cover their warranty requirements. Any car that's had its battery removed probably has uneconomical repairs required. It was probably a lease battery car and the owner didn't want to pay for a battery they aren't using. Only suggestion is to ask some local scrap yards to let you know if they get one in with a battery. The ze50 battery will not fit in a ze20 or ze40. Possible to have a aftermarket company make a battery new but this will probably cost double buying a car with a battery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well I'm gonna try, if it doesn't workout then I'll cut my losses and move onto another project, nothing else I can do for now.
When you say the ZE50 won't fit, is that physically not fit it?
Yes the shape is different in the ze50 so the pack physically won't fit in the older 2 models. The 40kWh pack is the same size as the 22kWh pack

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,825 Posts
Yes the shape is different in the ze50 so the pack physically won't fit in the older 2 models.
Are you sure about that? The software / computer hardware is completely different so matching is impossible without a gateway computer, therefor the point is moot in a practical sense, but I thought the physical layout was the same.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are you sure about that? The software / computer hardware is completely different so matching is impossible without a gateway computer, therefor the point is moot in a practical sense, but I thought the physical layout was the same.
i thought it was too tall?
The 40 managed to fit more capacity in the same volume but the 50 needed more cells and therefore a taller pack

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is 'exactly' what happened in my last project, I was challenged by a TV personality that it couldn't be done, and I did it!.
Have a gander here:

You did the little fella proud, stubborn bloodymindedness overcomes all.. i pronounce you "welshman honorarius"..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts