Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 64kWh 4+ MY21
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I click on the cruise button on the steering wheel but as soon as I press the RES+ button I get a message saying:

Checking the manual, it says you get this screen if:

• The driver’s door is opened. - (Nope)
• The vehicle is shifted to N (Neutral)/R (Reverse) / P (Parking). - In Drive
• The parking brake is applied. - Nope
• The vehicle speed is not within the specified SCC range. - Was doing 50-60mph
• The ESC (Electronic Stability Control), TCS (Traction Control System) or ABS is operating. - ????
• The ESC (Electronic Stability Control), TCS (Traction Control System) or ABS is off. - ????
• The sensor cover is extremely contaminated. - Nope
• The motor performance is abnormal. - Drove normally
• The Forward Collision Avoidance Assist system is activated. - ????
• The motor RPM is in the red zone. - Nope
• The front radar sensing data is out of limit. - ????

What am I doing wrong? I used this feature all the time on the Nissan Leaf without any problems. I just can't get it to work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another requirement is that you've touched the brake pedal once. Checking for the integrity of that switch is part of the process, as I understand it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,889 Posts
Yes, on the Soul EV:
  • enable SCC from the steering wheel by pressing "Cruise" once;
  • it shows "Cruise--" on the dash;
  • press "Set-" on steering wheel when at desired speed;
  • the dash should go green lane and speed;

·
Registered
241 Posts
What always confused me was that you needed to do the opposite of whatever the Speed Limiter was. Like for the speed limiter you press Up, but for SCC you press Down, or something like that. I got really used to using the Speed Limiter and then could never get SCC to work and that was why - it needed me to do the opposite.

Sorry I probably havent explained that very well.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,889 Posts
Another requirement is that you've touched the brake pedal once. Checking for the integrity of that switch is part of the process, as I understand it.
That doesn't make any sense. There is no requirement to press the brake pedal, before or in order to enable SCC. You can only disengage the SCC using the brake pedal.

I'm 100% certain that I can enable SCC without ever touching the brake pedal first.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. There is no requirement to press the brake pedal, before or in order to enable SCC. You can only disengage the SCC using the brake pedal. I'm 100% certain that I can enable SCC without ever touching the brake pedal first.
Context is important. It's not a fixed requirement, the fault only shows up occasionally and that's the solution.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My memory of this is fuzzy, but it's something like the brake pedal had to have been touched since the last powering up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
I encounter this on trips where I've driven for some time without touching the brake pedal. You start off with your foot on the pedal just to go into D.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,889 Posts
I encounter this on trips where I've driven for some time without touching the brake pedal. You start off with your foot on the pedal just to go into D.
Yes, you are right. You need to use the brake pedal to start the car. So, technically you can say that you need to press the brake once to enable the SCC! :geek:

Reactions: T67M

·
Registered
202 Posts
No specific need to press the brake pedal. It’s basically like most other CC; switch on and set. Why would you think resume might do anything until a speed has been previously set?
r

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sorry, no. After you have enabled cruise, get up to speed, then hit Set. I think you are hitting Res, where you should be hitting Set. Hope that makes sense.
Made the same mistake myself (despite knowing the correct procedure) and panicked that something has gone wrong. It's a silly message. It should say, 'Cannot resume/increase speed -- target speed not yet SET.'

·
Registered
757 Posts
That doesn't make any sense. There is no requirement to press the brake pedal, before or in order to enable SCC. You can only disengage the SCC using the brake pedal.
You can disengage the SCC using the "O" button also, below the cruise control activation button. Very handy if you're about to hit a downhill section or you know you want to coast to an upcoming junction/lights.

Thanks guys and gals. Just been out and tried it and it is working perfectly. Seems a bit fiddly, but no doubt I will get used to it.

What would I do without forums like this :)
So the problem was you were trying to use the "resume" function before actually using the "set" function, right? Gotta tell it what speed to go at before you can say "go back to that speed I told you". :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts