Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 to all electric. It cruises nicely at 25 to 30 mph. It is powered by a 147hp electric motor.
The range is 25 miles. With respect to weight, it was a wash after the conversion. It comes in at a little over 1,900 pounds. The max speed is 53mph. I did the complete conversion myself in my garage. If you are interested in taking on a project like this, I would be more than happy to help.
I have managed to maintain the boats original capacity and improved performance with the exception of a shorter range.
Here is a link to a walk-around:
Here is a link to the boat cruising on the water:

Please let me know what you think.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,645 Posts
I like that a lot, nice project well executed (y)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I bet the hole shot is much better than a 135 petrol too - in terms of dayboating / skiing / tubing - what sort of run time do you get before needing to charge, and how long is charge time?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I bet the hole shot is much better than a 135 petrol too - in terms of dayboating / skiing / tubing - what sort of run time do you get before needing to charge, and how long is charge time?

The OP hasn't posted here for a couple of years, and this thread is five years old, so it's likely you may not get an answer, I think.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Why the hell does my forum show this as a “New Thread” - damn thing!

Ah well.....

It's nearly caught me out a couple of times. For some reason this crazy forum software promotes ancient threads as if they were new. That, along with the bizarre censorship of innocent words, whilst allowing crude swear words, seems to be an inexplicable "feature".

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
Lol ah well no harm done and it was an interesting post!
We need more EV boat threads, and in a few years there'll be enough about to pop up on here.
If I had not been such an old timer, I'd have looked into fitting a Leaf motor and battery into my yacht. It only needs about 6-10hp most of the time, with a reserve of 40, could be charged up with a granny charger from the pontoon command socket and the torque multiplied by a bigger reduction gear.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
We need more EV boat threads, and in a few years there'll be enough about to pop up on here.
If I had not been such an old timer, I'd have looked into fitting a Leaf motor and battery into my yacht. It only needs about 6-10hp most of the time, with a reserve of 40, could be charged up with a granny charger from the pontoon command socket and the torque multiplied by a bigger reduction gear.

I have a small electric river boat. Built it about 10 years ago, not long after I converted my old motorbike to electric power. Still a work in progress, as I'm part way through fitting a tunnel prop system, so that I can reduce the draught a fair bit. My worry with this is really about finding a way to clear weeds, as I have a suspicion the duct around the prop will prove to be a weed magnet:

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
I have a small electric river boat. Built it about 10 years ago, not long after I converted my old motorbike to electric power. Still a work in progress, as I'm part way through fitting a tunnel prop system, so that I can reduce the draught a fair bit. My worry with this is really about finding a way to clear weeds, as I have a suspicion the duct around the prop will prove to be a weed magnet:

View attachment 146759
Northumbrian and Yorkshire cobles often have the prop in a tunnel so they can work very close to the shore. Above the prop inside the boat is a rectangular trunk which extends upwards to above the waterline, with a removable top about 8" sqaure. If the prop is fouled by anything, you simply remove the top and stick your arm down. Can you not fit something similar to yours.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Northumbrian and Yorkshire cobles often have the prop in a tunnel so they can work very close to the shore. Above the prop inside the boat is a rectangular trunk which extends upwards to above the waterline, with a removable top about 8" sqaure. If the prop is fouled by anything, you simply remove the top and stick your arm down. Can you not fit something similar to yours.

Yes, I could fit a weed box, I was thinking along the lines of the ones used on narrow boats. Access isn't great back there, though, as the stern is decked with a watertight compartment. There's a rectangular watertight hatch at the rear of the cockpit that can access where the motor sits, I just need to come up with a cunning plan to be able to use that to access a weed hatch. I thought I'd try it first, though, just to see if there's a problem. The old electric drive leg I had would fling weed off just by giving it a quick blip astern, and I'm hoping this may be the same.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
Yes, I could fit a weed box, I was thinking along the lines of the ones used on narrow boats. Access isn't great back there, though, as the stern is decked with a watertight compartment. There's a rectangular watertight hatch at the rear of the cockpit that can access where the motor sits, I just need to come up with a cunning plan to be able to use that to access a weed hatch. I thought I'd try it first, though, just to see if there's a problem. The old electric drive leg I had would fling weed off just by giving it a quick blip astern, and I'm hoping this may be the same.
Maybe the tunnel will be more of a hindrance than a help?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Maybe the tunnel will be more of a hindrance than a help?

That's my worry!

I wanted to reduce the draft, though, as the drive leg I originally made was very vulnerable in shallow rivers, and a PITA when launching or recovering the baot back on to the trailer. This is a photo of it before I fitted it to the boat, it just fitted through an almost vertical tube in the hull, a bit like an inboard rudder.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
That's my worry!

I wanted to reduce the draft, though, as the drive leg I originally made was very vulnerable in shallow rivers, and a PITA when launching or recovering the baot back on to the trailer. This is a photo of it before I fitted it to the boat, it just fitted through an almost vertical tube in the hull, a bit like an inboard rudder.

View attachment 146761
I'd be looking at some sort of vertical housing for the prop so it can be withdrawn completely for cleaning - a bit like an outboard well.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I'd be looking at some sort of vertical housing for the prop so it can be withdrawn completely for cleaning - a bit like an outboard well.

I did look at all sorts of permutations for trying to get the leg to swing up, but space is really tight under the aft deck, and I didn't want to have a hatch on the deck. I could just about get a sort of parallelogram linkage to lift the drive leg up and swing it at the same time, and got so far as to make a mock up, but it was all getting a bit complicated, and I hate complicated stuff, especially on boats. I had visions of a critical pivot deciding to not pivot right when I really needed it, or the mechanism getting damaged if it hit something, hence the move towards a prop that's pretty well protected (the duct around the prop is made from carbon fibre, as is the shaft support skeg). One option I'm still thinking about is whether something like a powerful water jet might work to clean weed off, if weed really is a problem in practice. I have a small 12 V pump that I use for pumping deionised water up a pole for cleaning out solar panels and that will deliver around 150 psi. A couple of nozzles pointing at the tips of the prop might work. Just need to get the thing finished and do some more experiments.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,890 Posts
I did look at all sorts of permutations for trying to get the leg to swing up, but space is really tight under the aft deck, and I didn't want to have a hatch on the deck. I could just about get a sort of parallelogram linkage to lift the drive leg up and swing it at the same time, and got so far as to make a mock up, but it was all getting a bit complicated, and I hate complicated stuff, especially on boats. I had visions of a critical pivot deciding to not pivot right when I really needed it, or the mechanism getting damaged if it hit something, hence the move towards a prop that's pretty well protected (the duct around the prop is made from carbon fibre, as is the shaft support skeg). One option I'm still thinking about is whether something like a powerful water jet might work to clean weed off, if weed really is a problem in practice. I have a small 12 V pump that I use for pumping deionised water up a pole for cleaning out solar panels and that will deliver around 150 psi. A couple of nozzles pointing at the tips of the prop might work. Just need to get the thing finished and do some more experiments.
Yep, complicated stuff always lets you down when you least need it to. Last resort - jump in!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts