Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Couple of small updates today:-
  • After receiving the photo of my isolator switch, BP Chargemaster have sent the charger application form in to my DNO.
  • Dealership have finally contacted me with a revised delivery date: Wednesday April 15th (was Friday April 17th).

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Had a letter from the DNO when I got home. New distribution head to be installed next Wednesday (Feb 19th).
Need to contact neighbour too because looped supply.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Had a letter from the DNO when I got home. New distribution head to be installed next Wednesday (Feb 19th).
Need to contact neighbour too because looped supply.
Is the head very old then ?.
What size is the main incoming fuse protecting the house then and what size are they upgrading it too ?.
80 Amps is generally seen as a free upgrade, 100 Amps has a cost I think.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Is the head very old then ?.
What size is the main incoming fuse protecting the house then and what size are they upgrading it too ?.
80 Amps is generally seen as a free upgrade, 100 Amps has a cost I think.
It's as old as the house (1960-ish) & 63A according to the meter installer.

New head & 80A fuse is free.

If "reinforcement" to 100A is indicated, that could cost £300-£3k, depending on how much digging is required.

Note two cables entering from underneath. One from street (hopefully) to me, the other from me to my neighbour.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's as old as the house (1960-ish) & 63A according to the meter installer.

New head & 80A fuse is free.
View attachment 127615
If "reinforcement" to 100A is indicated, that could cost £300-£3k, depending on how much digging is required.

Note two cables entering from underneath. One from street (hopefully) to me, the other from me to my neighbour.
Holly crap !.
Upgrading to 100 Amp fuse could end up being a MASSIVE job !.
Let's hope that they go with the 80 Amp upgrade hey !.
My house was built in 1982 and is on it's own unground supply from the road.
The main incoming protective fuse is rated at only 60 Amps.
My guess is the rest of the estate, which where all built at the same time, will also be on a 60 Amp main fuse too.
When my Rolec 32 Amp wall box was fitted about 4 years ago, the installer asked about all the electrical items we are using and then said that the 60 Amp fuse would be okay for these requirements.
Strange that your installer has recommended a main fuse upgrade, when you are already 3 Amps higher than mine at 60 Amps ?.
Does it have any thing to with the fact that you are shared, or just is it the age of the head unit ?.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Strange that your installer has recommended a main fuse upgrade, when you are already 3 Amps higher than mine at 60 Amps ?.
Does it have any thing to with the fact that you are shared, or just is it the age of the head unit ?.
Speaking from a lifetime in the electronics industry, you've probably got a 63A fuse too. 60A is not generally a standard rating.

The replacement has actually been kicked off by my supplier (E-ON), after last week's smart meter installation.
The installer commented on the age of the head unit, and the tar that oozed out of it in the past, showing that it may have previously overheated.

As for the uprated main fuse (most likely just 80A), the form BP Chargmaster sent to the DNO says they calculate my max demand as 78A, probably due to my late mother's stairlift being still installed.
I could get a few quid for it on ebay, but I might as well keep it until I need it myself!

EDIT:
Just got off the phone with the DNO (SP Energy Networks). They wanted to survey my house today, but I'm at work.
Then I mentioned the letter, which confused the heck out of them as they deny all knowledge of it, or the electricians who claim to be their contractor!
It's possible the confusion is due to both BP Chargemaster & myself contacting them at roughly the same time.
As things sit, I've emailed a scan of the letter to the DNO, and I'm waiting to hear back from them

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Speaking from a lifetime in the electronics industry, you've probably got a 63A fuse too. 60A is not generally a standard rating.
I am not 100% sure sorry, but when British Gas pulled the main cartridge to replace my old knackered wall timer and meter.
I think it had 60 Amps printed on it ?.
Wow ..... Your calculated peak load of 78 Amps appears a lot of demand.
Do you have a lot of high load equipment that they expect you to be running ALL at the same time ?.
If you where pulling close to that estimate, you would have expected your present 63 Amp fuse to have let go before now !.
Aargh ..... This must be including the addition of your new wall box I expect !.
Mind you, is there ever going to be a time when you are likely to be drawing all of this load at the same time ?.
I guess you would be charging your car overnight anyway ?.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I am not 100% sure sorry, but when British Gas pulled the main cartridge to replace my old knackered wall timer and meter.
I think it had 60 Amps printed on it ?.
It might've done actually. Don't worry about it.
Wow ..... Your calculated peak load of 78 Amps appears a lot of demand.
Do you have a lot of high load equipment that they expect you to be running ALL at the same time ?.
No, but the shower is on a 40A breaker by itself.
I guess you would be charging your car overnight anyway ?.
That's right. The sensible way to do it!

More progress. Turns out the letter is kosher after all. It was just that my contact at the DNO hadn't heard of that contractor working in my area before.
All has been sorted between them, and the work will go ahead Wednesday as planned (subject to me convincing my neighbour to play along!).

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Small hiccup yesterday.
I did manage to convince my neighbour to take the afternoon off.
However, the electrician who arrived told me I should've asked the neighbour on the other side! ?‍♂
He slipped a form letter through their letterbox and left. New date incoming, I guess...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Small hiccup yesterday.
I did manage to convince my neighbour to take the afternoon off.
However, the electrician who arrived told me I should've asked the neighbour on the other side! ?‍♂
He slipped a form letter through their letterbox and left. New date incoming, I guess...
I'll be knocking on (hopefully the correct) neighbour's door this evening on a similar quest. Scottish Power (my DNO) have been fairly on the ball so far.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
That could become a real problem for your plans, if they don’t want to play along !.
Good luck !.
As you know, most of Chester's dealerships are on the same road. My neighbour works at the Vauxhall dealer next door to the Renault/Nissan one (They're the same chain).

I'll be knocking on (hopefully the correct) neighbour's door this evening on a similar quest. Scottish Power (my DNO) have been fairly on the ball so far.
SP are my DNO too.
TIL - With a semi-detached house, the cable will most likely be run under your drive to your neighbour on that side. Check with the DNO to be certain.

Explain to your neighbour that the DNO's contractor will want the power switched off for an hour or so while they work on your house.
The reason is that if your neighbours are drawing power when your old cutout is removed, it might cause a "flashback" - ie the cutout exploding in the electrician's face.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
UPDATE:

Contractor told DNO they were rejecting the job due to "environmental hazard in the vicinity of the cutout".
Idle sod just doesn't want to climb over my downstairs loo to get to the thing!
DNO are sending their own people to do the work next Friday morning (20th)

Dropped by the dealership yesterday, due to more radio silence from them.

Good news - I HAVE A VIN!!!!

Bad news - The April 15th date I was given was a "scheduled delivery date", which seems to be when the car is due to arrive at Southampton docks. With PDI and all the other stuff dealers do, I might not get the car until the end of April

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Entered VIN onto My Renault site. Vehicle info loaded, but no specs found. Any idea what the following mean?
  • INTERIOR STYLING 02
  • SEAT UPHOLSTERY FABRIC 13

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
UPDATE:-

Shiny new cutout installed. Just need Chargemaster to visit now.

EDIT - MAJOR NEWS!! Had a call from my (new) account manager at the dealership. My car is not only complete, it's IN THE UK! o_O :D

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,877 Posts
I suspect 22kW AC will also come in handy when the only charger one can reach has a busted CCS plug.
If you ever go to Charnock Richard there are a pair of 22 kW chargers next to the DC chargers on both sides of the motorway. They are free to use with your own cable. You just need to order a Electric Highway RFID card which you can still get off their website. You just have to dig deep to find it, where you will also find a least of the 11 (13) other 22 kWh posts around the country.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Not long now !.
Wall box and your sorted.
Yep. I'll be prodding Chargemaster on Monday morning. Should've done it the moment the electricians left really.
The plan was originally to use workplace charging if my wallbox was delayed, but that was before the plague arrived and me being asked to work from home.
On the bright side, the 1/2 tank of petrol in my current car will now probably last until I give it back.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Chargemaster called me a few mins ago (Apparently, my contact there has changed department).
They'll say be able to install my chargepoint as soon as the current thing is declared over.
Which means it'll be a race between them & Renault with the car!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts