Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are now a one car family - Renault Zoe 50. (Plus two e-Scooters and an e-Bike).

This is more than adequate for day-to-day duties and even the occasional day trip where required.

Sold the Tesla as we just weren't using it.

Thought I'd hold off on buying a new longer range EV.

However as Sixt (an others) are now offering long range BEVs to rent, this seems like a better option. Don't need to worry about warranty, servicing or insurance.

They now offer the Zoe 50, eTron, iPace and Taycan. Which more than covers my needs. Would be nice if I could rent a Model 3 from them.

I suspect they'll offer more EV options in the future.

In short it works out a lot cheaper to rent an EV when I need it.

Anyone else reviewing their long range EV needs? It seems the best thing to help the environment is to reduce our consumption.

(Oh, and I've installed solar and a home battery to be completely smug about this).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only complaint is Sixt don't deliver the car.

So I might need to buy an electric motorbike. Just so I can get to the depot to pick up the hire car and park the bike for free. :)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,853 Posts
We are now a one car family - Renault Zoe 50. (Plus two e-Scooters and an e-Bike).

This is more than adequate for day-to-day duties and even the occasional day trip where required.

However as Sixt (an others) are now offering long range BEVs to rent, this seems like a better option. Don't need to worry about warranty, servicing or insurance.

They now offer the Zoe 50, eTron, iPace and Taycan. Which more than covers my needs. Would be nice if I could rent a Model 3 from them.

Anyone else reviewing their long range EV needs? It seems the best thing to help the environment is to reduce our consumption.

(Oh, and I've installed solar and a home battery to be completely smug about this).
Seems pretty sensible to me, sweat the assets you’ve got and rent for the occasional longer journeys. 👍

There is a mentality out there that means some will only feel comfortable when an EV can cover the longest return trip they’ve ever done without stopping. Probably not realistic and means plenty of battery sitting around most of the time.

It would make more sense though if your big battery car could also be your house power bank of an evening, and I know they’re trying to get that off the ground in places.

If I can get it in a rucksack, I’ve started using my e-bike for some shopping trips, it’s always quite difficult finding somewhere to leave it safely whilst I pop into the shop, but so far so good.

I had a go on an electric cargo bike last time I was in Germany, brilliantly useful thing, I found myself wondering if I should move to a more urban environment to make full use of one!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oohh - just seen that Sixt will match my Avis status (Club Presidente).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a go on an electric cargo bike last time I was in Germany, brilliantly useful thing, I found myself wondering if I should move to a more urban environment to make full use of one!
Yep, these seem to be almost car replacement.

However they will set you back the same money as a used Zoe. :)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,724 Posts
My only complaint is Sixt don't deliver the car.

So I might need to buy an electric motorbike. Just so I can get to the depot to pick up the hire car and park the bike for free. :)
I thought that you have an electric bike already. Is that not fast enough?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
There is a mentality out there that means some will only feel comfortable when an EV can cover the longest return trip they’ve ever done without stopping. Probably not realistic and means plenty of battery sitting around most of the time.

It would make more sense though if your big battery car could also be your house power bank of an evening, and I know they’re trying to get that off the ground in places.
I agree that the mentality that's wrong - it is part of the ICE marketing that "you really need the ability to jump in a car at no notice and drive 500 miles". Really?

Buying a bigger battery on a car to act as a power bank is an interesting one - it may work in a few cases where the same model of car is available with different battery capacities (e.g. Kona 38 and 63kWh), but the reality of owning a more expensive car just for the extra battery capacity is questionable as a separate battery for home storage makes more sense in terms of being available 24/7 rather than just when the car is at home.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Personally I have something of a mild dislike of hire cars, I had periods where I used them a lot for work and was getting one every few weeks. I just remember the whole faff and inconvenience of it; different cars so not knowing all the controls, none of your own stuff and comforts, inspecting it on arrival and again on return, the concern about misjudging the size and scuffing the alloys or catching the paintwork, faff of getting it and then having it sat on the drive or on the road outside if the hire company isn't that swift at coming to collect it.

I'd rather have a vehicle which was more of an all rounder and can do whatever I need to a reasonable degree without needing to hire a car. Even if it meant accepting a few more stops on long distance trips.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if Sixt have any plans to do this in the UK - would love to rent a Taycan for a day or two.
Yeah, it seems odd they don’t offer this yet.

Hopefully in the works.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,503 Posts
This lockdown have really gotten us to re-consider our need for 2 cars. After the 'rona, my work will no longer require bum on seat at office. So there's no longer any need to own 2 cars.

Renting is something I've long considered. We were planning a family holiday to Scotland NC500 by flying there then rent a Tesla for a week.

But 4-5 years ago, before baby, we were a single car sports coupe household and rented large estate/MPV when relatives visited from oversea. Problem is that the traditional car renting experience is not geared towards locals. I've had Sixt at Luton airport telling me they have cancelled my booking because I didn't provide a flight number!

·
Journeyman Human
520 Posts

Perfectly logical. I'm not revising my car choice based on needs though. Personally I'm buying either a Model S or if it finally arrives, the MG e-motion within the next 2 years. Either option will be long range and way over my needs, as I don't need anything other than a small hatchback really, but sometimes life is about owning nice things and I'm into cars. I see them as a pleasure, not a necessary evil. ;)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going with a company that has good customer service makes a huge difference.

Make sure you join their loyalty scheme and build up some history and spend (three hires or more with Sixt).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
I'd rather have a vehicle which was more of an all rounder and can do whatever I need to a reasonable degree without needing to hire a car. Even if it meant accepting a few more stops on long distance trips.
Each to their own. I take the view that I'd prefer to put the large miles onto someone else's car and for me it is a few times per year so I don't get as fed-up with the inconvenience.

For me it makes sense as I need to tow a few times a year but the rest of the time the LEAF30 is more than adequate - for me owning a Model Y just for that is unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts