Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting our 2020 i3 middle of August and was wondering if anyone knows what version of the I drive software will it have?

Seen that BMW will be updating the I drive to include Android Auto.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,100 Posts
Supposedly the changeover point is next month when they step up from version 6 to 7. I know that i3's delivered in March just before the lockdown were definitely still version 6. Hopefully yours is the upgraded model, but there is no way to really guarantee it.

Just a warning, from what I have heard it is wireless only Android Auto that's supported, which means you will only be able to use it on a select number of phone models. Thought I should point that out to avoid disappointment if you find out your phone won't work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supposedly the changeover point is next month when they step up from version 6 to 7. I know that i3's delivered in March just before the lockdown were definitely still version 6. Hopefully yours is the upgraded model, but there is no way to really guarantee it.

Just a warning, from what I have heard it is wireless only Android Auto that's supported, which means you will only be able to use it on a select number of phone models. Thought I should point that out to avoid disappointment if you find out your phone won't work.
Any idea what phones work?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,100 Posts
Any idea what phones work?
Google:
Pixel/XL
Pixel2/2 XL
Pixel 3/3 XL
Pixel 4/4 XL
Nexus 5X
Nexus 6P
Samsung:
Galaxy S8/S8+
Galaxy S9/S9+
Galaxy S10/S10+
Galaxy Note 8
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy Note 10

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
I suppose it's too much to ask that older cars are compatible and can be upgraded .... ?

·
Registered
BMW I3s
275 Posts
I too am waiting for an i3s which is due to go into build next week and have been informed by BMW that the i3 will be on I Drive 6 and will remain on that version so unfortunately no Android Auto!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,583 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bimmertech do the same kit for about the same price. Or you can save a lot of cash and get one directly from AliExpress, but there are serious issues - the potential import duty, delays and aggro you will face dealing with a non-OEM foreign supplier. Things like no english-language manual, or possibly more serious things like a non-i3 specific loom being included. I watched for a long time and ended up buying the bimmertech kit from a third party. I'm interested in CarPlay - we have it on our other vehicle and it's great. I haven't fitted it yet.

·
Registered
BMW I3s
275 Posts
I have Android Auto at the moment on my S3 and I can count on one hand how many times I've used it, so for me I can live without it. Having said that Audi use Google maps so maybe I will miss it once I'm in the I3!

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
FWIW you don't want iDrive 7 because that's the one bringing in "feature rental" via micro transactions. Want to keep the air-con? Pay a monthly fee.. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bimmertech do the same kit for about the same price. Or you can save a lot of cash and get one directly from AliExpress, but there are serious issues - the potential import duty, delays and aggro you will face dealing with a non-OEM foreign supplier. Things like no english-language manual, or possibly more serious things like a non-i3 specific loom being included. I watched for a long time and ended up buying the bimmertech kit from a third party. I'm interested in CarPlay - we have it on our other vehicle and it's great. I haven't fitted it yet.
As mines on a lease, I will have to stick with the Idrive version that comes with the car

·
Registered
954 Posts
Looks quite good, agree about the price.
I have good news for you ....
I'm installing (hopefully) this week.

Got for £255 , I have made a post today about this .
Looks be same hardware

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts