• No

Votes: 9 81.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Kona since July 2019 and so far it has not burst into flames in the 25000kms ive driven it.

Before Covid it performed flawlessly since covid its battery has had a new battery module hardly done 300Kms per month

but overall i still love it apart from the Nexen horrid tyres.

Looking forward when its time to replace it i will change manufacturer but not sure with what.
I noticed EVers seem to bash what we have, had problems with mine but its been well looked after and i have not been discommoded at all, and i seem to have escaped being a SAW.

How is your experience with your Hyundai Kona electric?

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Mine is also since July 2019. Only done about 4.5k miles.
It's a very nice car with few niggles for me, but also expensive. I like driving it and don't even mind the Nexens as I don't throw it around like a rally driver.
The only 'issues' I've had are the almost monthly recalls for updates which is getting tedious.

But for various reasons I'm contemplating swapping it for a smaller ICE. (I'd prefer a PHEV but there just aren't any small enough ones.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’m utterly fed up with Hyundai as a company. It’s a good car but once a there is a longer range similar size car from a manufacturer I trust comes along I’ll be out of here. Final straw was moving to Portugal, needing a service and three recalls, finding most of the south coast dealerships have a terrible rating, next closest doesn’t even have courtesy cars available. In the nearly two years I’ve owned the car it has probably spent at least six weeks at the dealership for all sorts of things, if I had to hire a car for that period I’d been very pissed. It’s only a matter of time before it will need leaving at the dealership again, so unless the Ioniq5 is utterly remarkable Hyundai will have lost me as a customer.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Had mine since Sept 2018 and it has been fantastic (except for the Nexens that I got rid of last year). All of my interactions with Hyundai and the local dealer have been very positive and I am delighted they have been so prompt with recalls.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had mine since Sept 2018 and it has been fantastic (except for the Nexens that I got rid of last year). All of my interactions with Hyundai and the local dealer have been very positive and I am delighted they have been so prompt with recalls.
Makes all the difference, by and large the French dealership was passable, they “eventually” sorted all the various issues, but not without having to complain to head office and even have a rep down from Paris to speak to me about said issues. I checked prior to moving regarding warranties, never occurred to me that I wouldn’t have a car made available. It shot them in the foot though as I had a test drive in an ID.3 whilst the service was being done! Just to add salt to the wound billing me for replacing the 12v battery as the car was a couple of days over two years old, a battery I’m still waiting a week later to arrive!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I’m utterly fed up with Hyundai as a company. It’s a good car but once a there is a longer range similar size car from a manufacturer I trust comes along I’ll be out of here. Final straw was moving to Portugal, needing a service and three recalls, finding most of the south coast dealerships have a terrible rating, next closest doesn’t even have courtesy cars available. In the nearly two years I’ve owned the car it has probably spent at least six weeks at the dealership for all sorts of things, if I had to hire a car for that period I’d been very pissed. It’s only a matter of time before it will need leaving at the dealership again, so unless the Ioniq5 is utterly remarkable Hyundai will have lost me as a customer.
Just for contrast, try reading the experiences of new ID.3 owners in a nearby forum and also new owners of the Polestar 2 - Polestar 2 Forum

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have multiple Konas. The '18 model has been faultless and despite offering my wife the option of an ID.3 or 4 she is sticking with the Kona. Heated steering wheel and cooled seats in the summer rank high on her list. The voice control wasn't great but is perfect on the later '20 model. It isn't used for long trips so she has never had to bother with DC charging away from home so it has only ever been charged from PV - £0 fuel costs for 14,000 miles. The later one had the 11kW OBC with all it's incumbent problems. The display console was bigger but the content was pretty much the same. Being able to adjust the headlights from within the car was a bonus.
As mentioned before, the Kona is the first car we have owned that has never let us down and for that I can forgive its slightly harsh ride and tacky interior.
Regarding the company, I found Hyundai UK customer service are useless but compared to them, VW UK are positively mendacious and I would sympathise with any ID owner that needs to escalate an issue beyond the local dealer.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
363 Posts
Ordered Oct18, arrived Jun19, almost 20k miles and we still love ours!!
Aside from one service and one recent recall (3 things!), all dealt with fine, we’ve had zero issues.
Tyres? Yeah, rubbish, but quite fun to spin when I’m alone. Haven’t had any issues with them, but will likely replace later in summer

Heated everything has been awesome, the adaptive cruise works a treat. Running costs near zero - we moved to Octopus Energy plus a Zappi solar-panel-friendly around the time it arrived, almost all charging from home and our energy bill hasn’t changed despite the electric use doubling!

Right now, still no alternative I’d rather we owned.
All manufacturers are still using customers as guinea pigs to some extent: I don’t feel Hyundai are any worse than others: plenty of VW horror stories, & Tesla make fabulous tech and average bodywork, from what I read!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had mine a couple of weeks, only done 1100 miles.

It keeps pleasantly surprising me. All of the important things have either matched or exceeded expectation.

The only things I don't like are small things, where the cheap car underpinnings show through. Things like no illumination of window switches other than the driver's and no rear power supply.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Had a mine week or so. Liking it so far but 12V issues are a concern that one shouldn’t have in this day and age.

Some things on the Kona are taking a bit of getting used to coming from an i3 where you could ultimately tell it was overall a higher quality item.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Had a mine week or so. Liking it so far but 12V issues are a concern that one shouldn’t have in this day and age.

Some things on the Kona are taking a bit of getting used to coming from an i3 where you could ultimately tell it was overall a higher quality item.
The 12v issue seems to have a risen in a number of cases after someone has fitted a permanent OBD adapter or a dashcam arrangement. I have neither and am not aware of any 12v issue after 22 months. I do however keep any eye on the 12v and have occasionally had the car sitting in Utility mode after not using it for a number of days, to give a 12v boost charge, just in case.

·
Registered
593 Posts
We've had ours since March 2020 and the whole family love it. I had the dreaded phantom 12V drain last week. No idea what caused it, and after keeping a close eye on the battery conditioner, everything seems to be OK. The tyres don't bother me, but occasionally the car beeps at me and I haven't got a clue what it's trying to warn me about. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
We've had ours since March 2020 and the whole family love it. I had the dreaded phantom 12V drain last week. No idea what caused it, and after keeping a close eye on the battery conditioner, everything seems to be OK. The tyres don't bother me, but occasionally the car beeps at me and I haven't got a clue what it's trying to warn me about. :)
How low did the battery get, first time around I caught mine at 8.4v? It failed the test prior to updating the software a few months later.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
On tyres, mine came with Michelin Primacy 4s fitted and they seem pretty good. Hopefully Hyundai have learnt not to cheap out on tyres again.

I’m going to list minor annoyances, but overall I’m very pleased so far:
  1. Some controls like the indicator stalks just feel a bit cheap compared to i3.
  2. Indicator noise too quiet.
  3. HUD not used for things that it should be - eg indicators, cruise control / limiter mode, state of charge!
  4. No orange leds on wing mirrors so driver can easily see when indicators are lit.
  5. No auto dip wing mirrors when reversing and no lighting in the wing mirror adjustment controls
  6. Led highlights disappointing compared to i3
  7. Prolonged wait when media system first boots
  8. No numeric SoC in instrument cluster
  9. Buttons on centre console set too far back and in strange order
  10. Gear selector on steering column like i3 (or ID3 / Tesla) is just better
  11. No split screen on carplay
  12. Lots of regen options but none as good as the only one in the i3
  13. No way to come to a stop by just lifting off
  14. Cruise control operation not very refined - can’t select target speed first
  15. Reversing beep
  16. Reversing camera next to useless in this weather
  17. Charge port with 2 covers but only 1 hook
  18. Non led indicators etc
  19. Door close sound not great
  20. HUD raising and lowering surprisingly noisy
  21. No courtesy wipe
  22. Auto hold forgetfulness
  23. BlueLink flaky
  24. Bongs when driving with no visual indication of what they relate to
  25. Visible screw cover in interior door grab handle

·
Registered
Kona 64
652 Posts
I have one of the first ones from September 2018. Now at 28k miles, it would be higher but there is nowhere we are allowed to go. We had an exciting 2,500 mile round trip to the South of France in summer 2019. Their autoroute charging network was a shambles and its only thanks to the cars range that the trip worked as planned,

The car has never been at the garage for more than a day for services or recalls. The original Nexens, still road legal got replaced in September with Michelin CrossClimates. The 12v battery failed December 2019 and replaced, and thats it.

I love the car but I will probably replace it before the 5 year warranty expires in 2023. There will be better cars around by then, when I bought the Kona there was nothing to touch it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Beeps, 3 quick beeps you are about to cross the lane line
A single beep might be you are approaching speed camera, check your map to confirm, not always fixed cameras can be for mobile cameras which are not always there but a camera symbol will be on the map. Lately there have been two different beep tones, 1 as you are approaching and a different as you pass the camera.
Beeps if you indicate when another car is in the blind spot zone
Take your pick

1 - 20 of 26 Posts