Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Like Tim, in another post, I have weighed up the many pros and cons about going the EV route. I currently have a 104 mile round trip commute but I am waiting on confirmation that my work place will be installing charging points. After much studying on the benefits of a pure EV and the Ampera, no pure EV will manage my commute on a single charge and range anxiety when using it for leisure means that the Ampera is the the best fit for my needs. Having run Vauxhalls since 1979 I have faith in the products they produce, different story on my experiences with dealerships but that's for another time and they are trying. My current commute car is a 2005 Corsa SXi Dualfuel which I bought new and has now covered 226,000 miles with only routine maintenance, done by myself the last few years, and running LPG at less than half the cost of petrol is a bonus.
I arranged a test drive at the most convenient dealership and was impressed, however how would it fair in my real life world. Shortly afterwards I arranged to have the extended 3 day test drive. Now I had the car and in my familiar environment using it around my area. I even managed to try it on a couple of my commute runs, even although I was on holiday, and managed over 45 miles from start on pure electric power. Second run was more how I would expect to use it. Start on electric until I reach the motorway then use hold mode until near work and similar on the return switching back to electric to use the last of the power until I reach home.
So that was it I decided to take the plunge. A call to the dealership to make sure the salesman was available when I was able to get through and I signed on the dotted line for my chosen model with the options I wanted and deposit paid. I was told that there was about a 3 month wait and they would be in touch when they had more information. Just over a week later I received a message to give the dealership a call, me hopeful that they had found a car that matched what I wanted, only to be told that Vauxhall are not taking any orders for the Ampera as they want to move the existing stock before they build any more. I find it hard to believe that they will not take an order for a car. I am currently waiting for a response from the salesman and also from one of Vauxhall's MyAmpera agent about the situation.

Apologies for the long first post but needed a bit of a rant :)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Have you considered talking to a Volt dealer? Different looks, different dealers, lower cost, but otherwise the same car.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking at the Volt too but the Ampera owner's package, longer warranty and the fact I have a fair puckle of GM points to get rid of too is swinging it

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
I was called on Monday by my dealer offering to buy my car because they can't get stock. So what exactly are Vauxhall expecting to move?

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
Perhaps the changes to the London congestion charge have resulted in lots of sales? Or am I being too optimistic?

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Let's hope so, but I fear they have a lot of unsold stock in undesirable model/colour combinations that HQs says they have to sell first. Still, not good if you are a potential customer.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it looks like the only option I have, if I want to go ahead, is to choose one of the current UK stock that matches the colour/specification choice but will not include any factory fit options. I can understand that they have maybe just recently received a ship loaded with Amperas & Volts from the factory and, as such, are not willing to take more orders until the current stock level is sold as it is not practical to send over another shipload of vehicles just to have the the one model I want. In saying that why do they advertise options that they cannot/are not willing to provide where the customer requests this? Finally if I decide to wait until I can place the order then the currently offered 'Ampera Owner's Package' may well not be available (probably more of a definitely not be available as I think that it has been introduced in an effort to move stock).

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Electron in Summit White with the black/red interior and the Forward Facing Camera system. It is this Forward Facing Camera that seems to be the problem. Although it is listed in the handbook available for downloading from the Vauxhall website and listed in the price guide since December 2012 there does not seem to be any vehicle supplied with it so far.

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts
I hadn't heard that they were offering the lane departure warning feature (with subtlety different name) in the UK and I guess they aren't really just yet!

As h8ten said it is listed as an option in the latest price list - http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/bypass/downlo ... eGuide.pdf

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was very frustrated with my authorised Ampera dealer, they were useless and I eventually gave up on the idea of a new one. My Local dealer however have been amazing. They checked out the Network Q website and found 3 Vauxhall Managers cars on their bidding site. It works a bit like ebay and dealerships are able to bid for cars they want. Mine is a Positive but because it was a managers car it has been upgraded with all the top spec infotainment centre. Its one year old and I saved £10k on the new price. I would also mention that I have read that the new Amperas are going to have smaller batterys to reduce cost and will therefor have a shorter range.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
GMG31 said:
I would also mention that I have read that the new Amperas are going to have smaller batterys to reduce cost and will therefor have a shorter range.
There were some rumours to that effect a while back, but nobody yet knows anything for sure about the next generation Volt/Ampera. However, from comments on the gm-volt forum, it does appear that the newest Volts off the production line along with a large drop in price now have a higher capacity than last year's models: the original Volt got about 10kWh from a charge, then last year that went up to 10.5-10.8kWh, the latest ones seem to get 11kWh.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GMG31 said:
I was very frustrated with my authorised Ampera dealer, they were useless and I eventually gave up on the idea of a new one. My Local dealer however have been amazing..
Unfortunately for me the authorised Ampera dealer, Edinburgh, I bought mine from also runs the nearest dealership, Perth,

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
GMG31 said:
I would also mention that I have read that the new Amperas are going to have smaller batterys to reduce cost and will therefor have a shorter range.
I have not heard that. Where did you see it? Could yo post a link?

I think it is very unlikely but you never know with car manufacturers... they are constantly shooting themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
GMG31 said:
I have not heard that. Where did you see it? Could yo post a link?

I think it is very unlikely but you never know with car manufacturers... they are constantly shooting themselves in the foot.
I guess it may have been this:
http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2013/03/ ... r-battery/

·
Premium Member
11,090 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
,.... no pure EV will manage my commute on a single charge and range anxiety when using it for leisure means that the Ampera is the the best fit for my needs.....
:)
True, few pure EV can make that entire round trip on one charge except a very expensive Tesla or the lesser expensive Chevy Bolt with 200 mile ranges. I find that my pure electric car can make the trip to work with little more than one half the required range for a round trip. I have at least 8 hours to level 1 charge the car at work. All you need is any outlet that your employer will allow you to plug into. The only problem is when the power goes out at work and everyone goes home, except me. This has actually never happened but it could.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well 31 months and 64k the way the charging network is up in my neck of the woods I still think the Ampera is the best car for my needs. Yes I need to use some petrol some days, generally going to work, but I can manage home on a charge. It is the lack of destination charging that means I am spending my lunch break going to find a charger that I can plug into and leave the car for the afternoon so it is ready for the return trip home.
Or an Ampera with a 100 mile range and rapid charging.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts