Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something odd happened this morning.

I cruised at 70 on my normal commute, used the heating occasionally, but arrived with 16% more than usual. I couldn't work out why I was only using one or two dots up steepish inclines either.

Then when I arrived at work I found out why - a 20 mph tailwind.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Being able to drive at 70 without the associated massive reduction in range would be a real boon, but I think the drag co-efficient of the Leaf is pretty good anyway? (can't remember the exact Cd) I guess the short(ish) wheelbase is restrictive. ATOTD there's not a lot you can do about air resistance at high speeds. (Apart from a bigger motor and battery!)

I do worry about some of the press images of the new shape Leaf though, surely that massive grill won't help the Cd and I personally find it a bit fugly. I don't really like the 'new' shape at all, IMO an EV should look like an EV not a diesel hatchback.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Being able to drive at 70 without the associated massive reduction in range would be a real boon, but I think the drag co-efficient of the Leaf is pretty good anyway? (can't remember the exact Cd) I guess the short(ish) wheelbase is restrictive. ATOTD there's not a lot you can do about air resistance at high speeds. (Apart from a bigger motor and battery!)

I do worry about some of the press images of the new shape Leaf though, surely that massive grill won't help the Cd and I personally find it a bit fugly. I don't really like the 'new' shape at all, IMO an EV should look like an EV not a diesel hatchback.
Cd0.29, which really isn't anything special.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to say that the back end of the car looks like a cross between a hackney carriage and a swan ride from a fairground. I like the front end, but why such a strange design of the derrière...
yeah, it does kind of look like they broke the crayon.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Agreed. They could have made the tail slightly longer, giving a larger boot space and a much better Cd. Or reduce the height of the vehicle (it feels like there's a lot of space "above" me in the car) for a big reduction in frontal area. Smoother wheels, the option of spats for the rear, and active grill blocking would all have helped a lot as well.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm not sure how it stands in the class of car, the Honda Civic is about 0.27 which 'I think' is pretty much class leading for a similar sized car, though I do feel that with the ability to smooth out the under tray, and no radiator etc, as there is no IC stuff to deal with that the Leaf doesn't have an excuse not to be class leading (small hatch class not EV class) ??

·
Registered
964 Posts
What if someone came along with a Leaf AeroRex?

If it included attractive but befitting subtle changes in a few places looking like it was OEM but only noticeably different to original car when close up, was made with quality aerospace materials and hardware and could be DIY fitted and removed with no evidence of it ever having been there how much better than standard would it have to be say at 70mph indicated?

I believe 10% better at 70mph is both achievable and would do it.
That actually represents a 20% battery save from a battery degradation perspective as what you don't take out you don't need to put in so from a charge/discharge cycle perspective there is a double benefit in additiion to requiring less charge stops with better range.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Replace wing mirrors with cameras?
Or just fold 'em in when you don't need them ;)
Might not make much of a difference on the current Leaf given that the shape of the headlights is specifically to (as I understand it) create a low pressure area in front of the wing mirrors to reduce drag.
Remove the mirrors and install less awakward lights etc. though would be a different matter.

I'd be amazed if the next gen isn't 0.27 or better, TBH. I think 0.29 was quite good at the time, but they could definitely do better now.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
Is that an actual production car yet? ;)
Yep! You order it, you get it. They were trying to get orders at LCV this year. I'd be interested if it wasn't such a high price.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Isn't part of the issue at higher speeds that the discharge rate means a higher C number on the battery pack and hence an effective reduction of capacity? Obviously drag is a factor in using more power but increased C number is an additional multiplier.
Also I believe the motor is optimised for urban speeds, not motorway speeds but to he honest I've no idea how that is achieved. Simple gear ratios?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts