Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a new ABB charger in Alnwick now run by CYC. Plugged in on Saturday, presented my card but unit said I wasn't authorised to begin a charge ( or something like that). Presented card again and off it went. Very quiet unit.

Went to cancel session a few minutes later and it now said I wasn't authorised to cancel the charge. Tried several time but I was locked in. No matter, I went shopping and car was released on my return

Tried to charge last night. Not authorised.

Went to charge today. Plugged in presses ok and "BANG". The charger is now dead. My car seems ok as I went to the SGTE unit later and it was fine

So that unit is currently out of action

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this ABB unit next to the SGTE one?
No! It's in the town centre in the main car parks for the town. It's a triple header one with Chademo, CCS and AC

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Are yes, thanks. I have used the SGTE one so I wondered :)

I have broken a DBT rapid... started charge and 2 mins later... GROUND FAULT ERROR!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are yes, thanks. I have used the SGTE one so I wondered :)

I have broken a DBT rapid... started charge and 2 mins later... GROUND FAULT ERROR!
This one went off completely

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I had high hopes for the ABB chargers being more reliable than the DBT ones...

Let's hope it's just teething problems!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

They're in the process of installing about 20 in Northumberland so I hope it's teething problems too. This was going to open up my travel possibilities massively

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
They're in the process of installing about 20 in Northumberland so I hope it's teething problems too. This was going to open up my travel possibilities massively
That's a good number of chargers your having installed there!

I wonder if ecotricity are planning on installing any ABB rapids?

We use large ABB drives for our large DC Motors in work. They are over 10 years old now and never had any problems with them! They have been very reliable bits of kit. Would have thought this quality would have transfered to these EV chargers.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

ABB are very reliable. Holland has ditched all their DBT chargers and are replacing them with ABB IIRC. They already have some ABB and they are proving very reliable so I would expect this to be just a teething problem.

I wonder if ecotricity are planning on installing any ABB rapids?
Apparently, no they are not. The early DBT ones were donated by Nissan and so didn't cost them much (or anything!) so it would cost them a lot to replace them. I have spoken to Ecotricity management and they are determined to get to the bottom of this unreliability and fix it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was planning a trip last week where there were 3 DBTs along the M6 (the only ones along that stretch) were all out of actions. 2 at Keele services and another at Stone services. That's all of the rapids between Manchester and Birmingham along the M6. In a Mk1 Leaf, I didn't want the risk.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to use the ABB charger at RCS in Retford - it was the only 24 hour available rapid between Lincoln and Leeds before the Electric Highway started to expand Northwards - I was forced back to it on Saturday and it did me proud just as it always has in the past.

Have no experience of using ABB other than that sole example but the only issue I've ever had there was having to get one of the managers to move his car after his charge was complete - which he did without fuss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts