Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20 plate zoe- Yes it's cold, yes i do short trips to work only at the moment with the heater and heated seats on. But I left it on my home charger for nearly 48 hours and got a grand total of... 113 miles at 100%.

ummm!
220 in summer - 120-130 in winter seems ridiculous. glad I don't live in Norway!

my old zoe used to do 160 in summer
140 in winter. Same commute to work as now but obviously a few more longer runs before lockdowns etc.

Is the new zoe just eating more electric with heaters etc. I hate feeling I have 'upgraded' my car to one with less practical range!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,591 Posts
You’re doing shorter journeys. Therefore more heating and the weather is colder so you waste energy heating up the cabin each time.

Back to back the new Zoe goes further.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
120-130 is in line with comments in some other threads, so your car isn't doing worse than some others (mine included). My summer range on the normal commute is 180 or so. If I'm on a Sunday drive I can do better than 200.

You compare that with winter range of 140 in your old Zoe. A couple of thoughts:

1. 140 seems a high percentage of your old 160 summer range. I would perhaps have expected more like 100 winter range if summer is 160. Do you have records, or are rose tinted specs being applied?

2. Does the new Zoe have more energy guzzling toys than the old one?(did the old one have heated seats?)

3. The recent period has been quite cold, at least for us, probably making the situation worse - maybe the same for you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
On my 70-plate Zoe I'm getting about 140ish miles, approx 2.9miles/kWh, in this weather (snow and between -5 and 3°C). That's a bit higher than others, but then I do a medium length commute on <50mph roads so that probably helps compared to shorter length trips.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
20 plate zoe- Yes it's cold, yes i do short trips to work only at the moment with the heater and heated seats on. But I left it on my home charger for nearly 48 hours and got a grand total of... 113 miles at 100%.

ummm!
220 in summer - 120-130 in winter seems ridiculous. glad I don't live in Norway!

my old zoe used to do 160 in summer
140 in winter. Same commute to work as now but obviously a few more longer runs before lockdowns etc.

Is the new zoe just eating more electric with heaters etc. I hate feeling I have 'upgraded' my car to one with less practical range!
What is your winter "long trip" actual range, not the GOM (or at least 60/40 real versus extrapolated).That would be a proper summer/winter comparison.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
593 Posts
So you have a ZE50 so i dont know how it works with your 50 , but with my ZE20(22kw) if I go to B. Trip meter on the TFT speedo dash when charged at 100% and reset it (long press on steering wheel stalk) it increases the figure of the range (note I say figure , because it doesnt actually add more miles to your range I dont think, just increases the figure showing) - I believe it resets driving habits (people with heavy foot on the accelerator) and electrical gadgetry items and has to learn all over again (it will adjust accordingly to your driving style again)

There is another 'trick' - involving pressing 2 pedals on the 22kw (again I dunno if it works same on the 50) the process is charge the car to 100% and press the accelerator pedal and brake pedal at the same time , and whilst holding them pressed you turn on the r-link radio (the ZE50 has a different medianav system so I dunno on that) and then on the r-link go to the trip meter and press the reset onscreen button and watch the range figure really increase substantially!! - again it doesnt really 'add' range to your car , just increases the figure on the dash :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,461 Posts
I had a ZE40 over a winter and it was tough to get it below about 135 miles. I did 4 mile journeys regularly. I suspect the new one does actually heat the car at all as the old Zoe didn't really have much of a heater and it seemed to just scavenge the breath of passing cows rather than actually make any heat of its own.

·
Registered
520 Posts
On my 70-plate Zoe I'm getting about 140ish miles, approx 2.9miles/kWh, in this weather (snow and between -5 and 3°C). That's a bit higher than others, but then I do a medium length commute on <50mph roads so that probably helps compared to shorter length trips.
I'm getting about 3.0mpkWh, and that's doing a mixture of short slightly slower journeys and a reasonable length motorway trip. I was getting over 4 mpkWh in the summer with pretty much the same journeys.

·
Registered
Zoe 50 GTLine
87 Posts
Just charged the car to 100%. GOM shows 200 miles. Trip reset etc. The reson I'm doing this is to track SOC with actual miles covered. Last week the SOC dropped to 25% from 86%, 61%, and the actual miles covered was 67. The GOM estimated 107 miles. OK - last week it was cold ish - short trips - heating set to 19.5 degrees. Low average speed - 3.6 to 3.8 miles per kW. No B mode available - cold battery messge. Hence I'm going to let in run down to approx. 20% and see how far it actually goes.

Spoke to Renault CS - they said take it to nearest dealer 'with a qualified mechanic' and let them test it. If there is a problem they will fix it - otherwise it will cost £120.
CanZE would be an option - is there a list of OBDII dongles in English? (the official list is a bunch of missing links/pages to Amazon.de).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
its not complicated, each time you heat the cabin you use maybe a KWh or so of charge and loose and extra 4 or 5 miles of charge.
If you are doing lots of small trips thats a lot of 4-5 mile penalties.
The good news is that if you are only doing local trips its not really a problem, only a slight annoyance. This current cold snap has also been longer than any we have had over recent years (and due to lock down its most likely being used less than previous years) so your battery will be colder than you have experienced in the past too

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
641 Posts
Showing 153 miles on my ZE50, that's with local trips with no motorway driving. The reduction in miles doesn't really bother me as long as I can get a free top up at the supermarket. 😉

·
Registered
121 Posts
We are currently getting around 145 on the GOM, running at 2.9 kw per mile. Almost all our trips are local, 6 mile each way to supermarket and to aged aunt in our support bubble. The heating is set at 22 degrees, seats and heated wheel are on for most of the trip.

On one level I’m not surprised that the range has taken such a hit (4.7 to 5 in summer on the same trips) given the load that the seats, wheel and heating put on the battery. But on another level, it does make me wonder about what sort of range we’d be getting if we’d bought a car with 120 -150 WLTP range.

The car still fits all our needs, the reduced range is not a problem for us and there are no regrets about getting the ZE 50.

·
Registered
641 Posts
We are currently getting around 145 on the GOM, running at 2.9 kw per mile. Almost all our trips are local, 6 mile each way to supermarket and to aged aunt in our support bubble. The heating is set at 22 degrees, seats and heated wheel are on for most of the trip.
Temperature of 22! 🥵 I’d be melting. Mines set to 19 with no heated seats etc.
After a 40mile drive this morning the cars showing 3.9miles/kWh with an outside temp of 3 and driving with ECO mode on while the weathers cold. That’s with a GOM reset before leaving.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Temperature of 22! 🥵 I’d be melting. Mines set to 19 with no heated seats etc.
After a 40mile drive this morning the cars showing 3.9miles/kWh with an outside temp of 3 and driving with ECO mode on while the weathers cold. That’s with a GOM reset before leaving.
Temperature of 19! David Icke was right - the cold-blooded lizards are amongst us! :cool:
My bum would freeze to the seat at 19!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hotter you have it the colder it feels when you get out! 😛 Anyway, enough of that. Is anyone else driving in ECO to save a bit of lectric?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hotter you have it the colder it feels when you get out! 😛 Anyway, enough of that. Is anyone else driving in ECO to save a bit of lectric?
😂😂

Swmbo (whose car the Zoe actually is) tends to drive in Eco as she prefers the softer response to the throttle pedal when in town.

I tend to not use the Eco mode.

we both normally use B mode, other then when on dual carriageway or motorways when it’s easier to drive (smoother) in more of the coasting mode.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Yes, if you drive multiple short journeys an EV will return poor miles/kWh, especially if you don't precondition before you set out. Other than costing a bit more on home charging (but still way cheaper than fossil fuel) it isn't really a big deal IMO. If you are heading on a longer journey, precondition beforehand, reset the GOM before you head off and keep an eye on it.

On a long (modest speed) journey in Norwegian snow and -6C temperature the Zoe ZE50 managed 316km before it stopped - 196 miles! The report is below and Chrome does a good job of translating. "The test route is the same for both seasons and consists of city driving, country roads and motorways, at speeds between 60 km/h and 110 km/h".

Reactions: Dion Rust
1 - 20 of 36 Posts