Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have plugged in the car tonight on our podpoint out front and clicks and whirls later have a solid green light.
i thought that there is a way to set a charge schedule on the car hence the software updates applied to the car.
is there a way of setting a time for the car to start charging or have I got the wrong end of the stick :rolleyes:
i believe that the podpoint cant at this moment do anything regarding timing but I thought that the car had been sorted?
is there a screen that I need to open to apply times etc on the car?
any help would be grateful .

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
is there a screen that I need to open to apply times etc on the car?
Sorry, there is NO internal system contained within inside of the car that will enable you to set a timed / delayed charge for charging in the U.K.
The lack of this facility on the U.K cars, is a very LONG and hugely debated subject, on this great site.
It will not take a very long search on this site, to find the extensive coverage of this very subject.
Simple answer, here is currently no workable "App" in the the UK !.
MG and two of the recommended wall box units providers / installers, have been working hard to find a solution to this lack of delayed charging problem.
The newer Rolec "Smart Chargers" are NOT receiving the signal to start the delayed charge, and therefore are falling into a deep sleep when first Plugged in.
MG have been quick enough to respond to the release of a temp fix / patch for this problem.
We are hearing mixed feed back / response, after MG have come out with a softwre "Patch" that SHOULD allow the car to delay charge, but it is a "Hit & Miss" affair I believe.
After the MG software charging update, owners with the older "Non - Smart" wall boxes ARE now able to pull a charge on 'Off Peak" rates.
MG have released a software update that goes some way, into providing a fix for the delayed / timed charging facility for SOME owners.
A quick search on the site will provide you with ALL the back ground you need on this very touchy subject !.
Right now, I am able to manually plug in my car, at a time that is very close to when my "Off Peak" supply commences at 12.30am.
Not the best solution, buy a LONG way, but I am shortly going to have my present "Non - Smart" Rolec wall box fitted, with a timer that can enable me to retire to bed a little earlier !.
You need the software upgrade by your MG dealership done FIRST, to allow this facility to function correctly.
It's all been covered extensively on this site before !.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi, I've just spent the day at my dealer, while they spent hours on the phone to MG UK, and then another hour or two trying to re-apply the software update, as MG UK could not garantee that my car had the update applied (delivered last week). My dealer engineer (who, along with everyone at my dealer, has been excellent!) confirmed that the update had definately been applied to my car before delivery, as the subsequent update finally failed with "update already applied". I can therefore confirm that with the updated software, my car still DOES NOT take a scheduled charge. One has to plug the cable in, lock the car, then start charging within a few minutes, otherwise the car somehow goes to sleep or disconnects and further attempts by the charger to wake the car up for a charge, fail. My charger company (Ohme) are again being incredibly responsive and helpful in trying to debug what the car is expecting, but it's clear that the MG is not conforming to the mode 3 protocol that other cars happily adhere to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rolec users have the same problem, Rolec at the moment feed a 1.6kw trickle charge to keep the car awake then the full 7kw at the selected cheap rate Charge time. This is a temporary arrangement until the wake up problem is sorted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the info, roby. Ohme also have a "trickle charge" mode, developed for the MG before the recent software update. The problem I have with this mode is the definition of "trickle" - 1.6kw is actually a lot, when it's running for hours during peak time. This significantly affects the charging cost of the vehicle, so clearly a more satisfactory solution needs to be found. The Ohme engineers are developing a work-around which hopefully will not consume any power outside of the schedule period - I'll let you know as soon as they come up with something.
In the meantime, though, we need to keep reporting this issue through our dealers, so MG UK get hit from all sides with the customer feedback. Only then will enough pressure be put on MG to generate a firmware update, like they did with the earlier update.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I totally agree, I never plug mine in till just before 00:30 to charge only on cheap rate. MG do need to find a proper update that works with all smart chargers. I love the car but it’s the only thing I think that lets the car and MG down. It’s a shame the car itself has no smart capability as the Asian models do, this would solve all the problems with charging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts