Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So schoolboy error. I left the charge flap open and the rubber plug dangling before going on a 20 mile journey in TORRENTIAL rain.

Of course I ignored all of the bonging before driving off :rolleyes:

There are small pools of water in each of the connection holes and will attempt to dry them out with cotton buds. I'm guessing the setup is clever enough that I won't get electrocuted but do you think I've caused any lasting damage?

I guess I won't know until I try charging it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask your friendly tyre place to use a blow-gun on it, if you don't have your own blow-gun and compressor.
Thanks that's a good suggestion. I'll try popping into Screwfix first for a can of the stuff to see if that blows any of the water out

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you chicken out of stuffing cotton buds into the 450v socket?

What's the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
172 Posts
So schoolboy error. I left the charge flap open and the rubber plug dangling before going on a 20 mile journey in TORRENTIAL rain.

Of course I ignored all of the bonging before driving off :rolleyes:

There are small pools of water in each of the connection holes and will attempt to dry them out with cotton buds. I'm guessing the setup is clever enough that I won't get electrocuted but do you think I've caused any lasting damage?

I guess I won't know until I try charging it.
I didn't know you can drive any chargeable car with the charge flap open. I know the Leaf is not going anywhere in that case, but must check my BMW just in case I forget it one day...

Anyway, sorry for you and hope it did not cause problems. I'd try the vacuum cleaner first, before blowing into the port because you never know what happens when you actually force the water into the holes, which is what blowing is doing. Just make sure the vacuum cleaner is one which can handle liquids, but you can buy these very cheap if you don't need higher quality ones. Any cheap one for home use would be good enough and maybe you have use for that in the garage at home as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did you chicken out of stuffing cotton buds into the 450v socket?

What's the worst that could happen?
Probably (HIGHLY likely) nothing happens because the socket is not under current when it is not charging. I am pretty convinced about that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update - all is fine.

When I got home I shone a light into the socket and it looked pretty well sealed so I proceeded to blow the water out with a compressed air cannister, drying up with a paper towel as I went.
There was more water in there than I had anticipated! I think it's because the socket is on a slight gradient so any water will roll back towards the car.
After drying as much as I could, I attempted to charge it. There were a few nerve wracking moments when it wouldn't charge - I had the "connected but not charging" warning. But after a few permutations of unlocking and locking the car, and taking the lead in and out, it finally started to charge! Unbridled joy! I'll check up on it a bit later but hopefully this crisis is over.

It might be that the socket is designed to work with water in it (although my basic physics tells me that it probably isn't) but I've learnt my lesson. I'll be checking the flap before every journey from now on. I had assumed that the car would have warned me but now I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I didn't know you can drive any chargeable car with the charge flap open. I know the Leaf is not going anywhere in that case,
My 2014 LEAF 24 can be driven with the charge flap open provided you ignore the red warning triangle on the dashboard.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
There are those who have left the flap open and those who are yet to leave the flap open! I would trade the lane keeping assist bongs for a charger flap bong! :D
Yeah - Big over sight on behalf of MG here I feel.
I have to admit that I have done this twice now.
Both times at a public charging post.
Stopped the charge, then removed the plug from both the car and the post, then returned the cable to the safety of the boot.
Then jumped into the car and drove off !.
Arrived home to find the charging door still open.
Luckily enough, on both occasions no water entered the charging socket.
All them totally unnecessary bongs and no warning light to tell you when the charging port door has been left open.
It is a large item that does not feel that strong at the hinge points.
Not nice to see this door go flying over the roof of the car when travelling in bad weather at motorway speeds.
We need to see a warning light on the dash panel please MG !.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I didn't know you can drive any chargeable car with the charge flap open. I know the Leaf is not going anywhere in that case, but must check my BMW just in case I forget it one day...

Anyway, sorry for you and hope it did not cause problems. I'd try the vacuum cleaner first, before blowing into the port because you never know what happens when you actually force the water into the holes, which is what blowing is doing. Just make sure the vacuum cleaner is one which can handle liquids, but you can buy these very cheap if you don't need higher quality ones. Any cheap one for home use would be good enough and maybe you have use for that in the garage at home as well.
The I-Pace is quite happy to let you drive with the charge flap open.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,726 Posts
There are those who have left the flap open and those who are yet to leave the flap open! I would trade the lane keeping assist bongs for a charger flap bong! :D
Or do what Renault and Nissan do. Zoe has a big red splodge on the front of a diagram of Zoe beside the speed. The flap on my Zoe has recently opened itself a few times on hardish braking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interestingly, TeslaBjorn was driving an MG ZS EV as part of his 1000 km challenge and he was not able to move the car to ready mode when the charge flap was opened.

Maybe the European models have slightly more advanced software as well as the auto call to emergency services if you are involved in a serious accident?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
My 2014 LEAF 24 can be driven with the charge flap open provided you ignore the red warning triangle on the dashboard.
My Leaf can certainly be driven and I don't recall it even giving a warning. Mine popped open last week on the motorway. It is pretty robust thankfully.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
225xe and B250e can both drive with flap open, but have dashboard warnings.

MG has nowt but you can see the top of the flap at the end of the bonnet.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
VW e.Golf & GTE are both able to drive with the charge flap open, but it displays a warning in the dash panel that states :- "Hatchback Open".
Or some odd remark like this, the first time I seen it I though I had left the boot open slightly.
The translation from German to English has the charge flap and the hatch back one in the same title ???.
But at least you get a warning, not like the MG !.
They have the warning priorities of the car a little out of sync.
What you need to know, it does not tell you.
What you DON'T need to know, it bugs you all of the time !.
CRAZY SYSTEM.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts