Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first long trip (well 220 miles) in the LEAF 24 since the New EH tariff. I have to say I liked it. Under the £6 for 30 minutes system I would have needed to charge twice on the outward leg and once or maybe twice on the return, so £18 or £24.
By running longer on the outward leg and charging for 45 mins I got away with 2x charges , total cost £9.97. I also saved 15, or possibly 45 minutes on the journey time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On the other hand, the app was buggy. Apart from it still not managing to realise when the charge has ended, I've realised that it reported rather arbitrary kWh consumed.
I used the same pump twice yesterday (at Hopwood Park on the M42). The 1st charge from 21 to 94% took 45 minutes and, according to the pump and app took 15.5kWh. About right for my 24kWh LEAF I think.
The second charge I ended early after 28 minutes. It charged from 21% to 90% and the pump reported 10.0kWh (which doesn't look right) but the app reported 7.8kWh (which definitely isn't right!
[Edit - actually the screen showed 14.3kWh not 10.0, which is credible. App and invoice were both too low though.]
I can possibly understand why the 1st charge took 17 minutes longer to charge to 94% as the battery was warmer and also the charge rate decreases over 90%. But the kWh figure on the 2nd transaction is just plain wrong. Happy that it's in my favour but EH lost money on that transaction.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a another problem with the EH today. I tried to charge on an a EH pump after a another car had charged. The pump was ready to go but the app reported the pump still in use. I rang Ecotricity twice and they twice remotely rebooted the charger. But it didn't work. Eventually, while still on hold the pump allowed us to charge. This was around 15 mins after the previous car had left (who stopped their session early after 30 mins.
We charged for 30 mins then stopped as well. The pump stopped the charge and we drove off but we checked the app and it said we were still charging for another 15 mins.
I wonder if the EH backend servers are not seeing the end of charge and blocking pumps out for 45 mins at each session irrespective of whether a session was ended early.
Has anybody else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
Sounds like they could have just set the session time to 45 minutes but worked out how to price people for less than that. Did the same thing happen with the 30 minute sessions but it wasn't noticed as most people would use the 30 minutes as they just had a flat rate?

·
Registered
886 Posts
may be in the code of those apps is a fixed 45 min var...

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
It's all EcoTrickery.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Sounds like they could have just set the session time to 45 minutes but worked out how to price people for less than that. Did the same thing happen with the 30 minute sessions but it wasn't noticed as most people would use the 30 minutes as they just had a flat rate?
I'm pretty sure it didn't happen on the thirty minute sessions. I can remember at least one case where I disconnected early so a Leaf could charge and I think their charge was running before I had actually left.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Electric Leaf Man
1,898 Posts
What gets me is that 10%+ of charges are free vend. This is a minimum from the many people I've spoken to who use EH regularly.

Who the hell runs a company where over 10% of customers aren't charged??? It's like they're playing at business and for me is a key indication that it's a loss leader for Ecotricity utilities and as such is not properly ran.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What gets me is that 10%+ of charges are free vend. This is a minimum from the many people I've spoken to who use EH regularly.

Who the hell runs a company where over 10% of customers aren't charged??? It's like they're playing at business and for me is a key indication that it's a loss leader for Ecotricity utilities and as such is not properly ran.
I agree, but having said that, I've not had a free vend since the latest change to the tariff.
However, most times I've been under charged because the app stopped counting the kWh half way through!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts