Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my driving is short journeys; about 3 to 5 miles, which I read isn't great for efficiency (especially in winter). Should I get a ID.3 with a heat pump?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,665 Posts
A heat pump will always be something that improves consumption as they are lower powered than a standard heater. But you're still going to be using a lot of energy to heat up a car from cold every time, especially for short journeys and your efficiency numbers are going to suck in winters.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Most of my driving is short journeys; about 3 to 5 miles, which I read isn't great for efficiency (especially in winter). Should I get a ID.3 with a heat pump?
No - it will have zero impact to the amount of energy used / saved in warming the battery, which is the prime driver for for short-range relative inefficiency. In addition, the heat pump will take time to do its job (basically extract energy from the cold ambient air), and will use a resistive heater short-term, until the heat pump becomes efficient, and is able to generate warmth.
Unless you're doing long journeys in cold weather, the heatpump is not a must-have, or probably even a nice to have, unless you feel that adding it now will somehow enhance resale value later.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
No - it will have zero impact to the amount of energy used / saved in warming the battery, which is the prime driver for for short-range relative inefficiency. In addition, the heat pump will take time to do its job (basically extract energy from the cold ambient air), and will use a resistive heater short-term, until the heat pump becomes efficient, and is able to generate warmth.
The heat pump in our Golf works all the time and seems to save energy all the time.

Is the battery heater resistive heating only? If it is it makes the price of the heat pump option seem even more excessive. I'd assumed the cost was because its doing both so needing a larger unit.

I agree that it's not going to save much and I didn't get an ID3 with a heat pump but if the goal is to use less energy not save money then it will be beneficial.

To answer the OP, if you're only doing short trips then the battery has more than enough capacity to not have to worry about the amount of energy used.
If you are trying to use less energy for environmental reasons then I would suggest looking at a more efficient car.
Battery Life's YouTube channel has a few videos comparing heat pump and non heat pump ID3s

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
The heat pump in our Golf works all the time and seems to save energy all the time.

Is the battery heater resistive heating only? If it is it makes the price of the heat pump option seem even more excessive. I'd assumed the cost was because its doing both so needing a larger unit.

I agree that it's not going to save much and I didn't get an ID3 with a heat pump but if the goal is to use less energy not save money then it will be beneficial.

To answer the OP, if you're only doing short trips then the battery has more than enough capacity to not have to worry about the amount of energy used.
If you are trying to use less energy for environmental reasons then I would suggest looking at a more efficient car.
Battery Life's YouTube channel has a few videos comparing heat pump and non heat pump ID3s
Actually @Woodulike, you may be correct, now I think about it - it’s possible the the heat pump might contribute to battery warming, as it’s a liquid-based heating / cooling system on the ID.3. It certainly is resistive only on non-heatpump ID.3s!
Am happy to be corrected, if someone knows definitely if the heat pump circuit links directly to the battery...

·
Registered
441 Posts
No, get a home charger and plug it in when you're done. The home charger is half the price (in most cases) of the heat pump and that will leave you a shed load of electricity to use before you even think about break even.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
310 Posts
Do you need the maximum range possible, or the maximum amount of time between having to plugin and charge?

If so, then maybe get a heat pump. If no, it's probably not worth it.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
313 Posts
I think it's only worthwhile if you'll be regularly doing journeys approaching the possible range of the car.

If it's a short journey - doesn't matter. If it's a long journey and you need to rapid charge - you might have to do it a few miles sooner, but it's not going to make a substantial difference to your trip. You'd have to be going a really long way for it to make enough difference to save you an extra charging stop.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If most of your journeys are short, the saving you'll be making over the ICE car will mean that with or without heat pump you will save a lot of money.

Or get a Niro or Soul which have Heat Pumps as standard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for your answers.
A lot of you seem to agree a heat pump is unnecessary for many use cases.
I'm wondering why so many other manufactures have it as standard on their EVs.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,651 Posts
Well, Scandinavian/Nordic VW importers specify the heat pump as standard on the ID.3 for those markets, which probably tells you all you need to know.

There is a benefit, but for the average UK climate it appears to be small for what VW ask you to pay for it.

I’m not sure how many manufacturers fit then as standard, I’m not up to speed, but if it has one great, if not I wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
A heat pump is much more efficient, but on the short journeys you are talking about it won’t matter too much.

If you were doing big trips, it’s cheaper than adding a bigger battery.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,651 Posts
A heat pump is much more efficient, but on the short journeys you are talking about it won’t matter too much.
Agreed on the short journey thing, but the statement ‘much more efficient’ is way too broad.

It depends on the car and the temperature.

Obviously, owning an ID.3, I’ve paid particular attention to comparison tests done on heat pump vs no heat pump cars, the results are nowhere near that conclusive, and in some tests the heat pump car consumed more electricity than the non heat pump car.

So the answer, like with so many things relating to EVs is, it depends.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think putting on a warm jumper is the most efficient way to stay warm on a long journey, personally.

Anyway, I think the heated seat and steering wheel are really good, so with those on in winter I really don't need the cabin warming on as a very powerful level, even if I wasn't wearing a warm jumper.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
It's not the case that the is a single thing or lump of kit that is the heatpump.
Basically it's extra heatexchangers, switching valves control software. All this add complexity and probably downgrades long term reliability. Think if it in those terms.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hard call!

I pre-heat mine to above what I want, then I find all the materials in the cabin leach heat out - It's often 10 or more miles until I need to turn on the heater, then set to 19-22 degrees depending on what I feel like - put it on "Auto" and forget it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts