Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

My first post here having purchased my first EV on Monday (29th). I've been happily charging using a 3-pin plug at home but today I thought I would try my new Type 1 to Type 2 cable (this is the one).

I left the house on full charge and travelled about 5 miles or so fully loaded to try out the charging point at Tesco. Unfortunately after trying two points and a total of four ports, I just couldn't get the charge to initiate. I called the company and they walked me through the process to make sure I was doing everything correctly and they also reset the two points twice before we gave up. The points were all "available" and had been used earlier in the day by other customers so it makes me think the issue is at my end.

I have never used a public charging point before or the new cable, PodPoint hadn't a register of the i-Miev in their database (they are going to add it) so I chose the Outlander instead at their advice, and this is my first EV so things were stacked against me it seems. I checked the car was in park, the handbrake was on (though I don't think this matters), the doors were tried locked and unlocked (though again I don't think this matters), both ends of the cable were fully located in their respective ports, I followed the instructions to the letter, the PodPoint operator and I bypassed the app just in case that was an issue.

Is there anything I am missing here? Any idea why I was unsuccessful?

Thanks in advance.
Craig

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Craig
What year is your car? Does your granny cable have a brick in it, and was your type 2 to type 1 cable supplied with the car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Craig
What year is your car? Does your granny cable have a brick in it, and was your type 2 to type 1 cable supplied with the car?
Hi. It's a 2010 model. I should have mentioned this. The granny cable doesn't have a brick in it, just 3-pin into spiralled yellow cable into type 1 connector. I bought the type 2 to 1 cable separately because it didn't come with one. I chose this one because it was supposed to be compatible with my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a look through this thread, it's in the Mitsubishi section and maybe even add your issue to the thread if there is nothing that answers it for you.
This seems to explain perfectly why this isn't working, thank you. I think more reading is in order and a rethink of tactics. Damn I wish I knew this before buying as this makes things far more complicated then they should be.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
As your reading from @h8ten will have shown you the car needs a special cable to charge from type 2 sockets. Contact EVBitz who are fellow owners of an early car who will be able to make up a lead for you.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Although I have a newer version of the triplets it does not charge from the latest style of eVolt destination charge-points that Chargeplace Scotland is rolling out. One of the many reasons why I just use it for short/medium runs on known routes as I've been in situations before whereby the rapid was duff and could not fall back to a destination charger... CPS is not interested advising to contact the manufacturer... Just thought I'd chuck that out there. Cheers

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Although I have a newer version of the triplets it does not charge from the latest style of eVolt destination charge-points that Chargeplace Scotland is rolling out. One of the many reasons why I just use it for short/medium runs on known routes as I've been in situations before whereby the rapid was duff and could not fall back to a destination charger... CPS is not interested advising to contact the manufacturer... Just thought I'd chuck that out there. Cheers
Hi Colin, not the same problem as the OP of this thread. For your problem, does the car throw a warning light or just no charge and no indication?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I only mention it as the op may run into another issue, or it might just be me, lol.

No warning light, the charge light flashes, the fans spin up for a few seconds before turning off. I've tried many different combinations of connecting to the charger but the only thing I've found that sometimes works is if another car is actively charging off the other socket on the post. Voltage issue?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I only mention it as the op may run into another issue, or it might just be me, lol.

No warning light, the charge light flashes, the fans spin up for a few seconds before turning off. I've tried many different combinations of connecting to the charger but the only thing I've found that sometimes works is if another car is actively charging off the other socket on the post. Voltage issue?

Cheers
Voltage issue is probably a good hypothesis. . Simon DBMandrake posted on this. Is CanIon giving you an AC voltage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This may appear rude, I don't intend it that way, but as this doesn't seem linked to my question do you mind discussing it in a different thread so I don't have to trawl through lots of posts?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Voltage issue is probably a good hypothesis. . Simon DBMandrake posted on this. Is CanIon giving you an AC voltage.
I'm on IOS but when there was an android phone knocking about I tried a dongle I already had but was not the right one so only reported battery temp lol, one day I'll have another try :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
This may appear rude, I don't intend it that way, but as this doesn't seem linked to my question do you mind discussing it in a different thread so I don't have to trawl through lots of posts?
Hi, no probs. I only brought it up in case you found another problem following the resolution of your current issue. Briefly, the triplets seem very sensitive to charge voltage. Hope you get it resolved, cheers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts