Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car had about half a full charge when I parked up on Saturday. I went to use it this morning, unlocked it with the remote and got in. Turned the starter, lights came on but the ready light never came on. Tried again and the battery indicator counted up bars slowly, but still no ready. I tried again and this time it flashed that the battery needed a charge. Confused I tried one more time and it did the indicator counting up again but no ready light. I had to run to take my daughter to school, so I tried to lock the car with the remote, but that wouldn't work either. I left it due to being in a hurry.
I came back to the car after the school run to try again, only now the starter wont turn at all. The key remote should be fine as I had replaced the battery recently and when I try to use it, the little red light flashes on pressing but it is unresponsive to the car.
I spoke to a dealer service but they are based quite far away and I also don't want to pay loads for diagnostics and repair if the problem has a simple solution (like my last issue). I'm wondering if it is possible that somehow the battery has completely died, but without getting to my nearest charging point I can't tell. Also the car is nowhere near an outlet so I can't even fall on the kindness of strangers to check.
Anyone heard of the above happening before?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sounds like the 12v battery on the car needs charging, doesn't it? I think you'll have to call the AA/RAC to get you started now.

When you get home, take the battery indoors, and charge with a battery charger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a battery charger and not sure how I can go about removing the battery. I'll give the AA a call see if they can at least get me to the charging point. The last time I called them out the guy said that he knew nothing about EVs, which was a total pain in the butt!

·
richi.uk
232 Posts
To be clear: @Tandy0 is suggesting you charge the 12V auxiliary battery (the small conventional car battery under the front bonnet. The AA can boost it for you, so you can get the car started into READY.

Once started, the car will charge the 12V battery by just sitting in READY.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorted. AS sorted the 12v battery and I’ve driven it around for about 20 mins. Need to charge the car for use now

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Good news. If it's the original 12V battery, or a few years old, I would replace it. I used this one:
Agreed, if it's still the original 12v battery in a 2010 model car the 12v battery will be stuffed and have almost no usable capacity left. It will let you down again for sure.

I replaced mine last year at 8 years old and it had barely 1Ah of usuable capacity when I tested it after replacement. I used this slightly more beefy one and so far so good:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers folks, I'll bear all that in mind. It turns out that my daughter turned the interior light on last time we used the car and it was left on all weekend. The AA fellow checked the battery and was happy with it. I'll keep those recommendations in mind though, very helpful as I was looking for a possible replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts