Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just collected eBay i-MiEV and range has gone to nothing trying to get to rathr well hidden rapid charger. I have stopped and plugged in to a kind man’s 13A socket and, in the meantime, fired up Canion. That says I still have 12% SOC. Wondering if I can trust that to get me the 4 miles to the rapid?

·
Registered
222 Posts
For 4 miles to rapid i would say you need at least 2 bars showing. From empty that should take 40 minutes on a 3-pin charger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
12% SoC as reported by Canion (true SoC, not the SoC shown on the dashboard) is only just above tortoise mode, which kicks in at about 10%.

Personally I would not trust 12% to get you 4 miles to a rapid in winter, especially if you are unfamiliar with the i-Miev in general, or unfamiliar with it's battery health, as most of the journey would be in tortoise mode and the amount of range in tortoise mode can be unpredictable. (anywhere from about 2-5 miles, but power/speed will be limited in tortoise mode)

What does the Ah figure on the first page say BTW, and what age/mileage ?

Given that you have found somewhere slow to plug in and charge, I would err on the side of caution - if you have difficulty finding the rapid and end up going around in circles or arrive to find the rapid broken you could be in a world of pain as you may not make it back to your friendly benefactor.

While you charge take the time to check the plugshare app for recent reports on that particular rapid to see if it is likely to be working and have a look at the photos that people have taken of it which I find helps you to find a rapid in a confusing area especially if there are landmarks in the pictures.

I'd also check out the next nearest rapid on plug share as plan B. I take it you don't have a Level 2 charging cable with you in the car ? Level 2 charging is about 50% faster than charging off a 3 pin granny charger so if you're feeling a bit uncomfortable staying plugged in at a strangers for too long or it's just taking too long and there is a nearby Level 2 charger you can charge a bit faster. (Or use the Level 2 as a backup if a rapid is out)

Rule of thumb is about 3 miles per bar is achievable at this time of year if you leave the heater off so you would want a bare minimum of 2 bars before attempting that journey if you were confident the rapid was working or had a Level 2 cable for plan B. (I would probably wait for 4 bars just to allow for issues at the rapid)

Good luck.

·
richi.uk
55 Posts
Very good advice there from Simon.

edit: Sorry, I just realised it's Martin Winlow. I'm pretty sure I'm telling granny to suck eggs here!

It probably goes without saying, but just in case: The slower you go, the longer your range. It can be tricky going slowly on a motorway (as your title implies), but physics is physics!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for input.

I sold my iOn 2 years ago. This one has been bought by the same chap who bought mine. I’ve not been involved with i-MiEVs since so out of practice!

I got to 19% SOC leaving the 13A socket by which time the dash eas saying 2 bars and 4 miles. Made it to the rapid (on the wrong side of the motorway which was where I went wrong in the 1st place) with 12% no bars and 2 miles. So looks like the thing *really* needs emptying to reset the guessometer.

Missed the ferry so catching a later one but won’t get to hotel till midnight, now. Where’s my Tesla when I need it?!

·
richi.uk
55 Posts
LOL yeah, it's easy to forget that the manual actually says you should get close to empty and fully recharge every month or three. I think if you don't do that, the BMS starts making pessimistic guesses about the SoH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts