Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But, our work has British gas pod point charging units.

It is the round one with blue lights on the bottom.

I have tried to google if it fits our zoe, but platting fog would be easier....

So can the zoe use it???

Sam

Super Moderator
Yes, no or maybe! Does the pod point have a socket for you to plug a cable in, or does it have a wire coming out of it?

Registered
@samsparro you are either going to have to ask what type of connector it is or learn what the connectors look like! It really could be one of several types.
My home pod point is a J1772 Plug.

Registered
Zap Map will help you identify them :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers. I am at work at the min so haven't got access to the car to check and have only had it a few days...

Working for the 'public sector' means finding someone who can tell me which charge point it is some what difficult!!!

All these charge points confuse the hell out of me, yes I know I should learn but part of the learning process is asking these stupid questions of people who have already experienced this problem

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Parax that link helped a lot, I think it is that connector if I remember correctly (not currently in the office), and by that I mean the J1772 charger...

So that means I cannot use it then

Registered
If it is J1772 then you cannot use it.

You will need a Type 2 plug also called a Mennekes plug.

J1772 is a Type 1.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I have forgotten to update this thread...

Work has fitted type 1 tethered charge points as they have bought a fleet of amperas.

Is there any way possible to convert a type 1 plug to fit r'Zoe???

I just fancy using works electricity rather than my own, and it's annoying watching leafs happily charge away...

Sam

Super Moderator
Not really, no....

You could make an adaptor (a box with a type1 socket on one side and a type 2 socket on the other for instance) but I don't know of anywhere you can buy one.

Registered
I don't think it's legal to sell adapters in the UK. So making one is possibly your only option...

Registered
I don't think it's legal to sell adapters in the UK. So making one is possibly your only option...
The european standards allow the use of manufacture approved adaptors (non currently make any) it does not cover third party adaptors and are therefore illegal for sale/use in the EU

Registered
It's not a simple lead to adapt J1772 to the type 2 Mennekes standard that the Zoe uses. The 2 different standards have different communication protocols between the car and the charger. J1772 uses a modified 1KHz 12V square wave to convey the signals that the car is present, the charging current and the charging status. The Mennekes standard primarily uses a resistor in the charger the value of which tells the cars charger how much current it can take from the charger. Someone would have to make an electronics box to satisfy both the car and J1772 charger. I suspect anyone making one would have to charge a reasonable amount to cover the cost of the design given the small market for them. It might be easier to persuade your work to fit some Mennekes chargers for cars other than Amperas.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers @Big277wave, that's easier said than done though!!!

All the chargers they have installed are only type 1, which seems a tad short sighted in my opinion...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts