Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first EV. It will probably be a 2019 and I’m sure that this is the car that I need in terms of price, range, features, battery owned and everything else. The only question I have is how to buy it. I have the funds for it, there is PCP, Leasing etc. I could buy through a dealer or privately (obviously that would be cash). There is also the timing relative to the new registration date on 1st September.

The question is if the car turned out to be a complete lemon past the reject date (dealer) what are people’s experiences with different purchase options?

Buying privately there is no comeback but the car would have some miles on it perhaps giving some indication of ongoing functionality having test driven it. A dealer’s car might have been on the forecourt for some time so there is perhaps a question of whether the battery has been looked after appropriately or why it has not been sold. It could be a demonstrator or a car that they had delivered with very few miles on it. Any experiences you might have had would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
I recommend using a dealer like DSG Morecambe if you want a Zoe hassle free, if you buy one privately then you need to do some research into what you get with a Zoe and what needs checking with regards to battery lease or battery owned, extended warranty, RCI services, SD maps, Type 2 Charge cable, Wheel locking nuts, Home charger grant, etc.. Finance wise PCP means you get any dealer contributions then pay off what you owe at a later date. If you go battery lease just pay the £59 a month and you can pay any excess miles off in the future if they ever chase you for it (don't think anyone has yet)

And they all have rusty rear drums, obviously French rustproof paint must be very expensive in France! Apart from that our ZE40 R110 68 plate still going strong :)

·
Registered
VW eGolf
332 Posts
Cazoo have 20+ ZE40s, all white Dynamique Nav R110s, battery owned, all around £15k. Seem decent value. They have places you can inspect/collect or they deliver - can return for a refund in 7 days if not right.

PCP or leasing tends to only be good value on new cars, it's a way for manufacturers to discount without cutting the price of the car itself. Used tends to be at much higher rates. Interest rates on savings are pretty poor now so if you can afford to buy outright, probably best to do do.

·
Registered
Leaf 40 69
24 Posts
Cazoo have 20+ ZE40s, all white Dynamique Nav R110s, battery owned, all around £15k. Seem decent value. They have places you can inspect/collect or they deliver - can return for a refund in 7 days if not right.

PCP or leasing tends to only be good value on new cars, it's a way for manufacturers to discount without cutting the price of the car itself. Used tends to be at much higher rates. Interest rates on savings are pretty poor now so if you can afford to buy outright, probably best to do do.
Weirdly loads of those on Cazoo have windscreen chips, don't know if they were in a car park and something happened to them!!. I was worried about the warranty on them as well because I'm not sure they've been serviced according to schedule.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're buying a 2019 car, then it will still have a Renault warranty.
Which means I can get the Extended Warranty. This has been recommended by a number of people and whilst I've never done that before I think it is essential on early EVs. I believe the warranty transfers with ownership. I don't know if you have to tell Renault specifically or if they will know through DVLA records.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
Which means I can get the Extended Warranty. This has been recommended by a number of people and whilst I've never done that before I think it is essential on early EVs. I believe the warranty transfers with ownership. I don't know if you have to tell Renault specifically or if they will know through DVLA records.
I think the Zoe warranty is at least 3 years. So should have a year or so to go?

The warranty is with the car, but useful to get a copy of the warranty or check with RCI before purchase. I think you can do it online.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
This has been recommended by a number of people and whilst I've never done that before I think it is essential on early EVs
I wouldn't say it's essential. I mean none of my three Zoes have had any major issues.

Problems can occur, but I'm not convinced they happen any more than ICE cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get a ZE50 for similar money if you are looking at leasing, when you add in battery least costs of the ZE40
I looked at the ZE50 and decided they had changed too many things and things like BMS update / hatch lid creaking noises. They also took the pre-heat button off the key which I found perverse to say the least. I know you can do it on the App but why?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,780 Posts
Weirdly loads of those on Cazoo have windscreen chips
They are all white cars of the same specification, all have granny cables which is rare, and most have windscreen damange.

To me that says car club fleet. Whether that is maybe Co-Wheels or somewhere like Onto perhaps, it definitely seems likely to have come from such a place.

Windscreen damage is fairly common in the de-fleet process of these vehicles, usually on the inside rather than out though. Things like onboard computers, dash cams, antennas, microphones etc. all get mounted on, or wired around the windscreen. Removal doesn't tend to be a gentle process so you often get chips or rarely even cracks on the inside of the windscreen.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks. I'll add that to the list of suppliers.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,518 Posts
I looked at the ZE50 and decided they had changed too many things and things like BMS update / hatch lid creaking noises. They also took the pre-heat button off the key which I found perverse to say the least. I know you can do it on the App but why?
The previous Zoes also required a BMS update and some had issues with the hatch lid. Mine is fine.

The app works very well and has a far longer range than the key fob.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the Zoe warranty is at least 3 years. So should have a year or so to go?

The warranty is with the car, but useful to get a copy of the warranty or check with RCI before purchase. I think you can do it online.
I'm going with the owned battery because I can afford that and I'm completely happy with the way the battery ages.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't say it's essential. I mean none of my three Zoes have had any major issues.

Problems can occur, but I'm not convinced they happen any more than ICE cars.
You can be spooked by the occasional distaster-fest posted on here and I was looking to hedge my bets somehow but you can buy any car and end up with enough material for a disaster movie. I think it's time to bite the bullet because I see so many positive comments from Zoe owners and I want to be one of them. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The previous Zoes also required a BMS update and some had issues with the hatch lid. Mine is fine.

The app works very well and has a far longer range than the key fob.
I got the impression, perhaps wrongly, that the BMS update was more of an issue on the 50 rather than the others. It may have been compounded with Renault servicing in some locations being, let's say, less than excellent. You are always going to get more people complaining about BMS updates compared to people who say their updates were hassle free and worked perfectly (practically never).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recommend using a dealer like DSG Morecambe if you want a Zoe hassle free, if you buy one privately then you need to do some research into what you get with a Zoe and what needs checking with regards to battery lease or battery owned, extended warranty, RCI services, SD maps, Type 2 Charge cable, Wheel locking nuts, Home charger grant, etc.. Finance wise PCP means you get any dealer contributions then pay off what you owe at a later date. If you go battery lease just pay the £59 a month and you can pay any excess miles off in the future if they ever chase you for it (don't think anyone has yet)

And they all have rusty rear drums, obviously French rustproof paint must be very expensive in France! Apart from that our ZE40 R110 68 plate still going strong :)
The rear drums on my Fiesta are rusty. They still manage to stop the car though :)

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
594 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe from anecdotal evidence that the ZE40 R110 seems to have the least amount of problems compared to the ZE50 and ZE20 but I'm sure someone will have had a bad experience with the R110 and will be along soon :)

Only other issue is they are fussy about Earth connections although an Electrician who visited yesterday about our Bathroom noticed our EV charger and was telling me that they don't use Earthing rods any more which would be good for you as my Zoe needed four rods! And it still didn't work until I retightened all the connections and it started playing ball, the previous electrician was having a bad day as it took twice as long to install the charge point than expected!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could be wrong but I believe from anecdotal evidence that the ZE40 R110 seems to have the least amount of problems compared to the ZE50 and ZE20 but I'm sure someone will have had a bad experience with the R110 and will be along soon :)

Only other issue is they are fussy about Earth connections although an Electrician who visited yesterday about our Bathroom noticed our EV charger and was telling me that they don't use Earthing rods any more which would be good for you as my Zoe needed four rods! And it still didn't work until I retightened all the connections and it started playing ball, the previous electrician was having a bad day as it took twice as long to install the charge point than expected!
I was looking at getting the R110 so that is hopeful. I have seen comments that Zoe is fussy about earthing. You can fit equipment that detects neutral failures and then I believe you can do away with the earthing rods which from my experience when I was working can be an utter pain depending on your soil type.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts