Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Newcomer to EVs - collected it yesterday and as yet not had to charge.
Have no off street parking so relying entirely on public network - hope it all goes well.

Found this "Need to charge app" : NeedToCharge | The friendly way to share an EV charger

and wondered if it is in regular use by EV owners? Would appreciate any comments on its usefulness.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
An interesting concept, and I can see it becoming used a lot by EV users who plug in to public slow or very slow chargers. Sign up and display the sticker, plug in and relax, knowing that if someone else does arrive and needs to charge they can send you a text via the app.
I would like to know a little more about the security of the app, which I don't see on the website.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
You might notice that this is not the first attempt at this concept: ChargeBump

The problem is the worst offenders for charge point blocking won't know or care about this.

If you do care, you are unlikely to block a charge point.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might notice that this is not the first attempt at this concept: ChargeBump

The problem is the worst offenders for charge point blocking won't know or care about this.

If you do care, you are unlikely to block a charge point.
Did Chargebump fail miserably then ?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An interesting concept, and I can see it becoming used a lot by EV users who plug in to public slow or very slow chargers. Sign up and display the sticker, plug in and relax, knowing that if someone else does arrive and needs to charge they can send you a text via the app.
I would like to know a little more about the security of the app, which I don't see on the website.

Not sure about the securiy issue other than no email addresses are exchanged - all communication goes via "Need to Charge"

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
Did Chargebump fail miserably then ?
It’s a good concept, but like many things it needs everyone to sign up to it.

The problem is if someone is ignorant of charging etiquette they are unlikely to bother downloading and using an app like this.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It’s a good concept, but like many things it needs everyone to sign up to it.
Ditto. Didn't zap-map (or one of those apps) recently start offering something similar? Such fragmentation just guarantees it will never be used or be successful.

Leave a throw-away email address in your window.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ditto. Didn't zap-map (or one of those apps) recently start offering something similar? Such fragmentation just guarantees it will never be used or be successful.

Leave a throw-away email address in your window.

Agreed - fragmentation is a real problem.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
I just noticed you can make a QR code go to a email address but you're right!
Could work. If you had a length of cotton string leading to the owner. Or breadcrumbs (won't work in conjunction with the pigeons).

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 'enquirer' just needs the car Reg. number and the 'Need to Charge' URL (or if the car is displaying a downloaded custom QR disc, which automatically adds the car Reg. and opens the URL).
It really is simplicity itself in operation; the person already 'on charge', can choose to reply to the request message, or not.....no private info. is exposed and there's even an anti-nag limit on request messages, to stop you being plagued with: "where are you, why haven't you come back yet" repeat requests.
Deborah.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 'enquirer' just needs the car Reg. number and the 'Need to Charge' URL (or if the car is displaying a downloaded custom QR disc, which automatically adds the car Reg. and opens the URL).
It really is simplicity itself in operation; the person already 'on charge', can choose to reply to the request message, or not.....no private info. is exposed and there's even an anti-nag limit on request messages, to stop you being plagued with: "where are you, why haven't you come back yet" repeat requests.
Deborah.
Hi Deborah

Have you used this app before then?

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
508 Posts
My guess is you'll charge up most often at free chargers attached to supermarkets etc. Zap map may help here. Also zap map has a zap home feature where people can make their chargers available to you. If you have one near that would be great. For example, when I get my charger installed I am considering registering that for any other ev person to use.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
508 Posts
My guess is you'll charge up most often at free chargers attached to supermarkets etc. Zap map may help here. Also zap map has a zap home feature where people can make their chargers available to you. If you have one near that would be great. For example, when I get my charger installed I am considering registering that for any other ev person to use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Deborah

Have you used this app before then?
Yes, I use it (for example) when I charge at a fast-charger and want to have coffee, or a bite of lunch in the cafe/pub and leave the car to charge beyond the point that I actually would 'require'......I'm normally only a few minutes walk, or a few mouthfuls away, if anyone uses the "Need to Charge" QR link to contact me.
It works well and in that way, it optimises the use of the charger too, so also benefits the charging vendor.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed, already looking up free supermarket chargers in local area.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed, already looking up free supermarket chargers in local area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts