Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting an idea of what the I-Pace can accept charge wise, public 100kW (Audi E-Trons USP seems to be the world’s first production car with CCS 150kW charging)

https://www.tu.no/filer/EVENT/Nordic_EV_Summit_2018/Stefan_Niemand__Audi_AG.pdf

And the I-Paces domestic charging seems to be support for 1 or 3 phase …..and you can use charger of between 3.7 and 7.4kW.

https://www.jaguar.no/om-jaguar/konseptbiler/i-pace/i-pace-ladning

TBH this is the area where I have no idea what to go for.

My set up is we have a 4kW PV array on the roof and a solar thermal panel so 8/9 months of the year we have heated up 500ltr of water by midday and then spend the rest of the day exporting to the grid.

I would really like to charge up the I-Pace with that “spare” electricity during the day if possible and then top-up the rest of the battery off-peak ......say after 01.00 hour.

Any thoughts on what charger – or setup I should go for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I think the Zappi is the only home charger that will balance the vehicle and solar PV system. Note that a 4 kW system will only peak at 2 KW max, so that's effectively your charge limit. This would take several days to fill an iPace if you had perfect blue sky days in summer.

So is the iPace onboard charger 7.4 kW with three phase or single phase?

It will be interesting to see if 100 kW charging on CCS is possible currently - Bjorn tested the Ioniq which is meant to do the same, but reckoned the chargers are maxing out their amps well before they get to 100 kW.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is the iPace onboard charger 7.4 kW with three phase or single phase?
Thanks for the charger info - I'll look into it.

The inference from the Norwegian & Dutch boards is that it will support both - i.e. if you have 3 phase - install a 3 phase charger.
As this is all new to me I could be interpreting this all wrong..... but my understanding is a couple of "Launch Edition" owners are installing 3 phase chargers based on info they have been given

I know I don't have 3 phase.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Thanks for the charger info - I'll look into it.

The inference from the Norwegian & Dutch boards is that it will support both - i.e. if you have 3 phase - install a 3 phase charger.
As this is all new to me I could be interpreting this all wrong..... but my understanding is a couple of "Launch Edition" owners are installing 3 phase chargers based on info they have been given

I know I don't have 3 phase.
Sure, but normally it’s the case that you can charge at higher rates on three phase. For instance the Mercedes B class will charge at 7 kW on single phase but 11 kW on three phase.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't think many UK homes will have 3 phase supplies, unless they needed it for large heat pump installations. When we were building our house back in 2009/10, the cost of a three phase supply was sufficiently high to make us abandon electric heat pumps and stay with a gas boiler.
In any case, if you park the I-Pace at 8pm near enough empty and plug in a 7kW charger, its likely that by 6am the next morning it will be near enough full. I can't see the advantage of three phase for home charging to be honest but I guess someone's circumstances and car use may make it useful.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I don't think many UK homes will have 3 phase supplies, unless they needed it for large heat pump installations. When we were building our house back in 2009/10, the cost of a three phase supply was sufficiently high to make us abandon electric heat pumps and stay with a gas boiler.
In any case, if you park the I-Pace at 8pm near enough empty and plug in a 7kW charger, its likely that by 6am the next morning it will be near enough full. I can't see the advantage of three phase for home charging to be honest but I guess someone's circumstances and car use may make it useful.
A lot of hotels have three phase destination charging, which can be quite useful. Means if you have a meeting for a couple of hours you get a decent top up at 11 kW.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A lot of hotels have three phase destination charging, which can be quite useful. Means if you have a meeting for a couple of hours you get a decent top up at 11 kW.
Absolutely agree. Where you are going to want quick charging as you won't be there all night (or all day) then the three phase makes sense.
Also, as you say, many hotels and other commercial premises will have three phase already installed. So it makes sense to use it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Simon Mac you must have been reading my mind.

I was in quite a dilemma about waiting for V2 of the I-Pace 2019 MY - the one that @Jack eluded to with the larger battery but more crucially its faster 150kW charging speed.
But your article.....

Tesla Is About To Be Shocked By Jaguar's Charging Advantage - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

.......helped me realise for the types of journey I will use the I-Pace for, the V1 with its 100kW charging speed should be absolutely fine.
Thanks for such a well structured piece of writing.
I certainly found it very useful.
Thank you.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
So there’s a lot of assumptions there.

The most glaring is the assumption that the battery pack is going to be anywhere over 400 volts and therefore get anywhere near 100 kW on the current generation of CCS chargers.

It appears that most of them are limited in the Amps they can put out, meaning that a realistic charge rate of 65 kW max.

Do we know of any 100 kW CCS chargers that exist in the UK? Are there any firm plans to install any over the next two years?

I can see a number of iPace owners complaining they were missold if there’s no way to get the claimed 80% charge in 45 minutes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
t the battery pack is going to be anywhere over 400 volts and therefore get anywhere near 100 kW on the current generation of CCS chargers.
Is there somewhere you can recommend that I read to get my head round all the elements that are required to understand current EV batteries & charging / discharging systems - in relatively simple layman's terms
In the quote above you mention "over 400 volts" ........ I'd like to understand what difference 400v 600v & 800v system mean .... and where are we now?

Sorry, I appreciate this is all basic stuff but coming from an ICE world ....... its all alien to me.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Is there somewhere you can recommend that I read to get my head round all the elements that are required to understand current EV batteries & charging / discharging systems - in relatively simple layman's terms
In the quote above you mention "over 400 volts" ........ I'd like to understand what difference 400v 600v & 800v system mean .... and where are we now?

Sorry, I appreciate this is all basic stuff but coming from an ICE world ....... its all alien to me.
You mainly just need the electrical power law:

So for a given power output, say 50 kW, you would need 125 Amps at 400 volts. P=Volts x Amps.

Most battery packs are somewhere between 300-400 volts. I’m only aware of the Porsche Mission E that will be 800 volts.

This is the main reason why charging is limited on current Chademo and CCS to around 44-46 Kw, because of the current limitation.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A 4kW array will peak at 3.8kW so lots of power to charge, you’d need a zappi to automate it however. IMHO using a hot water diverted is more cost effective.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A device like Immersun which varies the power of an immersion heater to ensure the entire output of a PV system is consumed domestically on days when there is a surplus.
OK .... I have one of those .... and on most days (8 months a year) using PV and solar thermal I have a 500lts of hot water by midday. So from then on I just export to the grid for the rest of the day.

The Zappi does look like a good solution as it will work with the Immersun so that when the tank is full of HW the car be charged.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts