Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the iPace function in -C conditions? Does the battery still have power for the car?

The reason I’m asking is I currently have MINI Countryman PHEV, but with the last few mornings being below zero C battery power has not been available, despite have been on charge overnight!
EV mode is only available after the battery had warmed up a bit after around 6 miles running on the petrol engine.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,835 Posts
That's probably more to do with the fact that the engine needs to be started so it can warm up and heat the cabin.

Full BEVs can work well down to -30 degrees or more. But the range will take a hit if there's a lot of cabin heating involved.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Bjorn has been testing the 2021 Model 3 in -25 degrees. He seems to be getting a real world range WITH heating of around 240 miles! Slightly better than 'battery not available'!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's probably more to do with the fact that the engine needs to be started so it can warm up and heat the cabin.

Full BEVs can work well down to -30 degrees or more. But the range will take a hit if there's a lot of cabin heating involved.
I should probably said I’d already heated the car on hook up before leaving hom.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,632 Posts
Bjorn has been testing the 2021 Model 3 in -25 degrees. He seems to be getting a real world range WITH heating of around 240 miles! Slightly better than 'battery not available'!
So it should with a heat pump and 82 kWh battery! 🙂

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yep, but not the ICE.

It needs to be warm to operate properly, so the software probably is set so it starts below a certain temp.
Yes I'd agree with this, because if you floor the accelerator the engine would be kicking in, it has to be warm enough to do so safely. I guess in colder temps this requires running the engine a bit initially to bring it to a safe operating temp. Possibly also to assist with heating - I don't know if the Countryman has a PTC heater, but if not, it would certainly need the engine to run to generate warmth. As far as I know, out of all the ICE engine equipped cars, only the BMW i3, Ampera/Volt and the London Taxi can run entirely in BEV mode at any temperature. If Mazda ever do release a range extender model for their new BEV that car could be added to the list.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
Volt/Ampera also fires up the engine in temperatures like they are atm. ‘Engine running due to temperature’ pops up on the driver info display. You can choose between which of two temperatures triggers this function: 3C or 1C I think.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
616 Posts
Yes I'd agree with this, because if you floor the accelerator the engine would be kicking in, it has to be warm enough to do so safely. I guess in colder temps this requires running the engine a bit initially to bring it to a safe operating temp. Possibly also to assist with heating - I don't know if the Countryman has a PTC heater, but if not, it would certainly need the engine to run to generate warmth. As far as I know, out of all the ICE engine equipped cars, only the BMW i3, Ampera/Volt and the London Taxi can run entirely in BEV mode at any temperature. If Mazda ever do release a range extender model for their new BEV that car could be added to the list.
The countryman is basically a BMW 225xe in drag.

It does have a PTC heater but it swallows the battery whole if you use it in pure electric mode, the behaviour you described be is indeed to prep the ICE for a sudden request of power in the form of a heavy right foot.

I had an early 225 which didn’t do this but drove several later models as courtesy cars and they behaved quite differently to mine in that they insisted that you gave the ICE a full warmup cycle and refused to let you go back into MAXeDrive until that was complete even in warm conditions.

The ICE let go on mine in rather spectacular style when it had done just 28k miles.

I think BMW learned some expensive lessons letting the early ones rev stone cold engines straight to 6000 RPM on kick down, they put a brand new £12k engine in mine FOC, I got rid of it as soon as I got it back.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Volt/Ampera also fires up the engine in temperatures like they are atm. ‘Engine running due to temperature’ pops up on the driver info display. You can choose between which of two temperatures triggers this function: 3C or 1C I think.
I (also) have a Volt, can't remember the exact temps, but I believe cold = 1 degree and very cold -10 degrees. It's quite different in that it would only need the engine as a glorified (optional) heater, as the engine is never called on even if you floor the throttle in -5 degrees. The Volt and i3 are fully electric cars with the engine to generate power. Other PHEV's have a far weaker electric motor that requires assistance from the ICE to provide significant propulsion, hence the ICE needs to be warmed up as @Drewby80 is saying - otherwise they will wreck the engine!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I (also) have a Volt, can't remember the exact temps, but I believe cold = 1 degree and very cold -10 degrees. It's quite different in that it would only need the engine as a glorified (optional) heater, as the engine is never called on even if you floor the throttle in -5 degrees. The Volt and i3 are fully electric cars with the engine to generate power. Other PHEV's have a far weaker electric motor that requires assistance from the ICE to provide significant propulsion, hence the ICE needs to be warmed up as @Drewby80 is saying - otherwise they will wreck the engine!
Yep, page 86 of the Ampera user guide. ‘Low’ temp is 2 degrees C or lower, ‘Very Low’ is -10. Used just for heat, not for moving the car. I set to -10 as it’s not unusual to get below zero and I done want the ICE kicking in when not needed.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
Ah ok. I knew the engine doesn't drive the wheels (except in very rare and particular circumsrances, one of which I think is a prolonged steep ascent), but thought that when ERDTT came on it was to help keep the battery at the optimum operating temperature, not to provide cabin heat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts