Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the market for an EV SUV and the I-Pace is on my short list.

will appreciate owner's experiences on real world range on full charge, charging time, etc. what do you like about it and what do you don't?

for context: pre-pandemic i used to drive 800 miles a week, mostly motorway, twice a month and go on 300+ miles holidays a couple of times a year. i don't drive fast.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I wrote this in another thread here recently in reply to a report of car review accuracy (or the lack of it):

Don't want to take as gospel whatever the professional reviewers spout forth. IMHO. I switched from having owned a Tesla Model 3 LR for 16 months, to a new I-Pace earlier this year, fully expecting to see a major range reduction. In reality it's no big deal. I've never seen less that about 220 miles, and usually get around 240 miles. Sure that's a fair bit less that the ~280 miles I used to get from the Model 3 LR, but not enough to make the slightest bit of difference to the way we use the car or places we stop for a break and a charge at all.

To get under 200 miles you'd need to have a pretty heavy right foot, and spend a fair bit of time on motorways, as even driving short trips locally I seem to easily be able to get over 240 miles range.

As another example, I charged last night, car was showing 252 miles range when I went out this morning. Drove a round trip of 46 miles, mix of B roads and dual carriageway A roads and got home with 224 miles range remaining. Didn't dawdle, apart from being in a traffic jam going past Stonehenge, and actually booted it quite hard once the A303 was clear of traffic again.

That's pretty typical for this time of year, with the aircon on and not being particularly careful to save energy.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
I've had mine for nearly two years. Real world actual driving range is about 240 miles summer and 180 winter.

Charging. Home charging at 7kW or if you have three-phase available, 11kW. Public charging on rapids (DC) - the very best you'll ever see is about 105kW that's only for a short time under ideal conditions (warm battery, very low SoC). More likely to be about 80. Tails off rapidly as the SoC rises. It's a strategy to manage the battery for long servcie life (good) but it's a pain on longer trips when the slower charge rate becomes an issue. (I've also got an eTron that chucks all that out of the window and jumps straight in at 145kW on an ultra rapid. But I'm not expecting the battery to last as long.)

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
i am considering the etron 55 as well. which would you recommend of the two?
Well of the two I prefer the iPace but that's me. They're very different, unlikely you'd be torn between the two.

Principle upsides of each IMHO:

eTron is better built, quieter (aside form motor whine), more comfortable, has better infotainment, brakes are better, charges much faster on public DC rapids, is much bigger inside especially in the back, has AC ports both sides.

iPace is much faster, more agile, feels more special, less reliance on touchscreens, more efficient (ie more miles / kWh), I prefer the regen management, cameras are much better, has over-the-air software updates (mostly).

Both cars... have terrible apps, very weak timed charging, are hugely costly, touchscreens are shite, have software glitches, the inbuilt satnav is terrible compared to Google maps.

Try both.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree re navigation software. I use CarPlay and Google Maps. Apart from losing the central “mini” view that you get with inbuilt JLR system, everything else is much much better.
And if you prefer Waze is available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts