Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Nice - it was at the LCV show at Millbrook today. I spoke at length about everything from the car itself and what it means for VW to EU energy policy with an incredibly well informed German chap on the VW stand. He was either the most over scienfitically-educated and energy market aware PR I've ever met, or he was something senior to do with the XL1 programme. Didn't catch his name - should have asked.

·
Super Moderator
7,539 Posts
Nice - it was at the LCV show at Millbrook today. I spoke at length about everything from the car itself and what it means for VW to EU energy policy with an incredibly well informed German chap on the VW stand. He was either the most over scienfitically-educated and energy market aware PR I've ever met, or he was something senior to do with the XL1 programme. Didn't catch his name - should have asked.
It was probably Volker Kaese, he was indeed very passionate about the XL1, and rightly so!

·
Registered
137 Posts
It was quick
Fantastic UK spot! Congratulations on getting a photo of that, out in the wild, heading for MK. Didn't know it was road legal without wing mirrors...

Reactions: tim_battersby

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shocked me how fast it toke off, and it's very nice looking I did not think I would like it but it's very nice

·
Super Moderator
7,539 Posts
Fantastic UK spot! Congratulations on getting a photo of that, out in the wild, heading for MK. Didn't know it was road legal without wing mirrors...
Yep, fully homolgated for Europe, first in the world!

Reactions: Sparky2

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I saw an XL1 on the WAVE this year at one of our stops. Boy is it futuristic. I actually liked it although they wouldn't let us closer than 5m!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I saw an XL1 on the WAVE this year at one of our stops. Boy is it futuristic. I actually liked it although they wouldn't let us closer than 5m!
I got a sit in it, although I don't think the door was shutting once I was in situ. Seats had a fixed profile - only fore and aft adjustment, and clearly designed for a more svelte fuselage than my own

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yep, fully homolgated for Europe, first in the world!
Question just occurred to me - is the image projected a mirror image or unadulterated? At present the mirror image means that lateral movement appears to proceed towards the side it's actually on. If the image wasn't reversed, a car pulling out to overtake would appear to move to the left on an unmirrored rear facing image. Would that be cognitively problematic or not?

Anyone here ever driven on rear facing cameras rather than mirrors?

·
Super Moderator
7,539 Posts
Question just occurred to me - is the image projected a mirror image or unadulterated? At present the mirror image means that lateral movement appears to proceed towards the side it's actually on. If the image wasn't reversed, a car pulling out to overtake would appear to move to the left on an unmirrored rear facing image. Would that be cognitively problematic or not?

It must be mirrored, that would be far too confusing otherwise!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

Yes images are mirrored, as are reversing cam images in cars like the Ampera.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It shocked me how fast it toke off, and it's very nice looking I did not think I would like it but it's very nice
It must have been going down hill ! Unless they have improved them since I read about these some time ago.
At that time the performance was poor compared with other EVs.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We
It must have been going down hill ! Unless they have improved them since I read about these some time ago.
At that time the performance was poor compared with other EVs.
well this is some specs
The Volkswagen XL1 is equipped with the company's 7-speed DSG transmission and a Lithium-ion battery pack. The Volkswagen XL1 is actually compliant with the Euro VI emissions standards.

Here are the performance numbers of the Volkswagen XL1: top speed is 160 km/h (electronically limited) and the 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) acceleration time is 11.9 seconds. Come to think of it, these are quite decent numbers for a hybrid. As mentioned before, the Volkswagen XL1 has a fuel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts