Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest video, I thought I’d start a new thread as you may not see it in my thread about my videos....

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks Mike for this informative video.
Possibly there is another advantage given by the improved handling -

My understanding is that on an undulating surface, the vertical damped oscillating motion of the car body requires energy which is derived from the undulating surface of the road and the forward motion of the vehicle.
Similarly, sway motion (rolling action) energy of the car is also derived from the road undulations and the forward motion.
The energy is partially stored in the suspension springs but mostly dissipated as heat in the suspension dampers.

If the amount of vehicle body motion is reduced by changing the suspension, less energy is involved in the body oscillation motion and less heat is dissipated in the dampers.
Consequently is can be argued that on such undulating surfaces at a given speed, the miles/kWh figure should be improved slightly by the greater damping effect of the changed suspension.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Sadly that's not correct. If you have a given damper and reduce the oscillations it is correct, but in this case the dampers are "stiffer" and hence taking out more energy for a given amount of movement (or more likely moving less for a given amount of energy removed) so you are not comparing like with like. Stiffer springs on the same damper however do achieve this at the expense of ride quality and the risk of underdamping hence oscillation.
It looks like the new springs are identical to the previous judging by the markings and the number of coils, but at least the ride height is the same.

Have they set up the geometry any differently if indeed they were able to measure it accurately, or was it just a damper swap?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did the suspsension swap affect your insurance, not been able to watch the video through yet if it's already mentioned in there!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Mike
Have you still got the modified Suspension?... I know you probably have been somewhat confined lately but do you have any further opinions as to whether it is a worthwhile modification and has there been any further developments on cost etc
cheers

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have, but we will be trying some slightly different ones when they are able to be made after the lockdown. I’m not using my car other than chopping every other week, so everything is on hold at the moment.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Could be that the current ride is a bit harsh ....... :p

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:D:D:D:D

definitely french for shopping

🤭

1 - 15 of 15 Posts