Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really like this car, and using carwow, drivethedeal, some good discounts to be had

Just wondering if it's worth holding off until December as I'm aware there were good discounts last year....but how much, what sort of price were they going for?

My chosen spec is base model life

Going for middle battery 58kwh
Upgrading to the Derry alloys
Going for the 200hp Pro performance

No additional packs

Of all the packs, I like the idea of pilot assist (or whatever its called) but I read somewhere it might just be a paid software update soon - like buying an app...is this true?

For existing owners, is there a pack I should really go for?

I want heated seats (std) and a heated steering wheel would be nice, but not buying a pack over a grand just for that

Anything else I should consider before buying?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Just wondering if it's worth holding off until December as I'm aware there were good discounts last year....but how much, what sort of price were they going for?
If it was me I would be putting an order in now. The wait lists are getting longer and longer due to the chip shortage issues. I'm not sure there's much need for greater discounts considering the supply vs demand we are currently seeing.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
573 Posts
VW just missed the EU emissions targets last year and have sold a lot more EVs this year, so I am guessing there won’t be the same great deals (people were getting more than £5k discounts).
After nearly a year of ownership I can confirm the ID3 is a great car that just gets more enjoyable. Smooth, quiet and very nippy.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Travel assist (the auto steer within lane lines) is rumoured to be available as a paid for sw update. The rumour is quite strong as it was in a press release/interview from VW saying that kn the future there would be a store where features like TA could be enabled. They may be wrong of course.

Id ring around a load of dealers and see what may be in stock/coming. Or post on the id3 owners Facebook page - as a few dealers scan that and respond. Sounds like you have a fairly simple/regular spec so chances are there may be one coming soon. Otherwise it’s a long wait at the moment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Really like this car, and using carwow, drivethedeal, some good discounts to be had

My chosen spec is base model life

Going for middle battery 58kwh
Upgrading to the Derry alloys
Going for the 200hp Pro performance

No additional packs

Of all the packs, I like the idea of pilot assist (or whatever its called) but I read somewhere it might just be a paid software update soon - like buying an app...is this true?

For existing owners, is there a pack I should really go for?

I want heated seats (std) and a heated steering wheel would be nice, but not buying a pack over a grand just for that

Anything else I should consider before buying?

Thanks!
Heated seats and steering wheel are included with the life. That's a great spec. Don't wait. The discount won't be more and the waiting list will be much longer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Travel assist (the auto steer within lane lines) is rumoured to be available as a paid for sw update. The rumour is quite strong as it was in a press release/interview from VW saying that kn the future there would be a store where features like TA could be enabled. They may be wrong of course.

Id ring around a load of dealers and see what may be in stock/coming. Or post on the id3 owners Facebook page - as a few dealers scan that and respond. Sounds like you have a fairly simple/regular spec so chances are there may be one coming soon. Otherwise it’s a long wait at the moment.
Doesn't TA have a physical button that's not on Family and lower steering wheels?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The panel is all touch/haptic. If you shine a bright torch at the panel you can see where the symbol is on the panel. And TA can be accessed (I think) via the left right arrows underneath. But we’ll have to see!

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
Which spec is that std on
Everything above Life trim has Matrix headlights. However, the Life does come with LED headlights so is not exactly a 'candle in the night' headlight car. They are as good as you would need. How do other car users get on if Matrix headlight is definitely an essential option if you even only drive on unlit roads once a year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So you don't have to operate the dip switch manually once a year? Oh come on!
That would be a standard high beam assist.

Matrix headlights keeps high beams on in the face of oncoming traffic but cuts the approaching vehicle out of the light beam using individual LED segments. Matrix also usually adapt the light beam to the type of road and speed being driven.

For example, see the following extract from the Corsa manual:

Country light
Activated automatically at a speed above 30 mph when driving in rural areas. The illumination of the current lane and the side of the road is adapted. Oncoming and preceding vehicles are not dazzled.

Town light
Activated automatically at a speed up to approx. 30 mph. The light is wide and symmetrical.

Curve light
Particular LEDs, based on steering angle and speed, are additionally triggered to improve lighting in curves. This function is activated at speeds from 25 mph to 43 mph.

Cornering light
Activated at a speed of up to 25 mph when turning off. The light consists of particular LEDs which illuminate the direction of travel. These LEDs are triggered depending on the steering angle or the activation of the turn lights.

Glare-free high beam
The system enables a glare-free high beam when driving in dark surroundings. Each LED on right or left side is triggered or faded out particularly according to the traffic situation. This gives the best light distribution without dazzling other road users. Glare-free high beam is switched on automatically at a speed above
31 mph. It is switched off at a speed below 22 mph, but the system remains active.

Motorway mode
Activated automatically at a speed above 65 mph. Illumination is adapted to the higher speed driven on motorways. If there is no oncoming traffic, the visibility on the side of the vehicle is increased. When following vehicles ahead or passing, dazzling for these vehicles is reduced.
Best advancement of automative lighting technology in years and love them on my Corsa-e. Glad to see the technology filtering down the segments, you used to only see these available on much bigger and more expensive cars.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So you don't have to operate the dip switch manually once a year? Oh come on!
Matrix headlights are far more than auto dipping light sensors. They actually light up more of the road than conventional headlights and use oncoming traffic to gate or hide some of the beam. Have had them on Audi and now VW and they should be standard on all cars.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts