Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Really like this car, and using carwow, drivethedeal, some good discounts to be had

Just wondering if it's worth holding off until December as I'm aware there were good discounts last year....but how much, what sort of price were they going for?

My chosen spec is base model life

Going for middle battery 58kwh
Upgrading to the Derry alloys
Going for the 200hp Pro performance

No additional packs

Of all the packs, I like the idea of pilot assist (or whatever its called) but I read somewhere it might just be a paid software update soon - like buying an app...is this true?

For existing owners, is there a pack I should really go for?

I want heated seats (std) and a heated steering wheel would be nice, but not buying a pack over a grand just for that

Anything else I should consider before buying?

Thanks!
Apparently there is a 30 week wait for new ID3's at the moment which is why secondhand prices are through the roof.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Matrix headlights? If you drive a lit on unlit B roads on a night then great, on well lit motorways and A-roads? Not really needed.

We've got a Life and a Family at home, and all our roads are well lit - I don't feel the need to always drive the Family on a night. They are in no way "essential".

The Life has plenty of spec, for me tge best thing about the Family is the Pano roof, but only the back seat passengers really get the benefit.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,900 Posts
Matrix headlights are far more than auto dipping light sensors. They actually light up more of the road than conventional headlights and use oncoming traffic to gate or hide some of the beam. Have had them on Audi and now VW and they should be standard on all cars.
OK they're a great technical improvement. I don't doubt that. But how much are you prepared to pay to see this miracle of technology demonstrated once a year?

·
EGGY
1,645 Posts
We have the matrix lights and yup we like them, much better than the model 3 .... all a bit first world problem though.

As previously posted I would start looking now, the amount of people who have said to me "my next car will defiantly be an EV" since the issues with fuel supply ! Whether they follow through is another thing I guess but the trend is up. Sure I read somewhere about VW increasing production beyond the current factory ... all well and good but if they can't get their hands on controllers that's not going to help.

The dealer will obviously tell you to book now to avoid disappointment due to supply shortages, that's a given.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With the matrix headlights, I haven't used them a great deal, but last night ended up on some back rounds due to a motorway being closed so gave them a go. However, every car that came the other way flashed me so I am not sure they are working properly? I noticed the car was set to "driving on the right" so changed this to left when I got home. Is that the problem or am I doing something wrong?

I held the stick back and the lights opened up like a curtain on the road and the blue A logo came up on the screen. But I resorted to turning them on and off manually after the first two/three cars aggressively flashed me and now I'm worried about using them again.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quite happy with the LED lights.
Also quite happy that according to Motorway my car has gone up £800 in the last 3 weeks despite an extra 1000miles.

got over £6k of positive equity in the car now (25% 😱) and seriously toying with upgrading… to what I don’t know. Not much about with low lead times (aside from M3)

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the matrix headlights, I haven't used them a great deal, but last night ended up on some back rounds due to a motorway being closed so gave them a go. However, every car that came the other way flashed me so I am not sure they are working properly? I noticed the car was set to "driving on the right" so changed this to left when I got home. Is that the problem or am I doing something wrong?

I held the stick back and the lights opened up like a curtain on the road and the blue A logo came up on the screen. But I resorted to turning them on and off manually after the first two/three cars aggressively flashed me and now I'm worried about using them again.
Yeah, that was likely the problem.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour, Stonewashed Blue
48 Posts
I noticed the car was set to "driving on the right" so changed this to left when I got home.
I had similar problems with the matrix full beams occasionally causing oncoming drivers to be blinded, until I changed that setting to "driving on the left". But there's a related software bug (at least there is on my Tour - running software 2.1) in that every time the car starts up it changes it back to "driving on the right". So now, whenever setting off at night if I think I'll be using full beam, I go in and set it to "driving on the left" before driving off. Having done that, the matrix lights work great.

And just to mention that my menu interface has another bug - it won't set it to "driving on the left" unless you first select again "driving on the right" (which it is showing as being set to already), after which you can then set it to be "driving on the left". Which it then remembers until the car powers off again. :rolleyes:

I'm hopeful that the forthcoming 2.3 update will sort this quirk out. 🤞

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had similar problems with the matrix full beams occasionally causing oncoming drivers to be blinded, until I changed that setting to "driving on the left". But there's a related software bug (at least there is on my Tour - running software 2.1) in that every time the car starts up it changes it back to "driving on the right". So now, whenever setting off at night if I think I'll be using full beam, I go in and set it to "driving on the left" before driving off. Having done that, the matrix lights work great.

And just to mention that my menu interface has another bug - it won't set it to "driving on the left" unless you first select again "driving on the right" (which it is showing as being set to already), after which you can then set it to be "driving on the left". Which it then remembers until the car powers off again. :rolleyes:

I'm hopeful that the forthcoming 2.3 update will sort this quirk out. 🤞
Has it been confirmed exactly what "driving on the left/right".means in VW terminology?

Does "driving on the left" mean LHD, as in the driving position is on the left of the car, or RHD as in the car drives on the left side of the road?

From previous discussions, I'm under the impression it's the latter (driving on the left = RHD).

·
Registered
VW ID4 GTX (on order)
79 Posts
As previously posted I would start looking now, the amount of people who have said to me "my next car will defiantly be an EV" since the issues with fuel supply ! Whether they follow through is another thing I guess but the trend is up. Sure I read somewhere about VW increasing production beyond the current factory ... all well and good but if they can't get their hands on controllers that's not going to help.
The wait times on ID4s has gone from 20 weeks a month ago to 26 weeks now. I'd suspect similar for ID3s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
“Driving on the left” means exactly that - in the UK you drive on the left, typically in a RHD vehicle.

It got called the same thing in the Tiguan at least, so I’m not surprised VW retained the terminology.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour, Stonewashed Blue
48 Posts
“Driving on the left” means exactly that - in the UK you drive on the left, typically in a RHD vehicle.

It got called the same thing in the Tiguan at least, so I’m not surprised VW retained the terminology.
That's my understanding too. With the matrix lights on, watching the slight change in pattern that happens when you change it to "driving on the left", it seems to slightly favour extra illumination being directed onto the nearside road edge (on the left, in the RHD car), as opposed to towards the right hand side of the car (the middle of the road). Not a big change - but possibly enough to avoid dazzling some oncoming cars?

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
567 Posts
A significant part of the 2.3 update is around headlight management. So I guess they are improving the headlight shaping and mapping which hopefully will stop some of these issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looked at teh Id.3 configurator recently and I would think that the "Energy-efficient heat pump" @ £833 would be worth thinking about.

And, I like the idea of the matrix headlamps, do they do a similar upgrade for the rear fog lights, like if there is somone behind or its not foggy, it turns off!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The dealer will obviously tell you to book now to avoid disappointment due to supply shortages, that's a given.
VW has two factories in Germany producing ID3, and both are at capacity running 24/7. They are due to open a new factory in China and one in the US shortly.

I think the current waiting list is 4 months or so. But you might get lucky on cancelled orders or some other exception.

EV orders are still only 8% of total cars in the UK. Let see if it goes up over the next few months
Probably will somewhat but who knows when the tipping point will be. There are not enough EVs under 20k or even 10k where.most people buy. The ID3 is somewhat of a luxury item

·
Registered
17 Posts
VW has two factories in Germany producing ID3, and both are at capacity running 24/7. They are due to open a new factory in China and one in the US shortly.

I think the current waiting list is 4 months or so. But you might get lucky on cancelled orders or some other exception.
The ID.3 waiting list is now more like ~26 weeks (6 months) and 2 weeks longer if you want a Life or a Tour. But yes, you might get lucky with cancelled orders given that's a hellish long time to wait for a vehicle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the replies regarding the matrix lights and "driving on the left/right". I will give them another go with it set to the left and hopefully not annoy any fellow drivers.

I did notice the glitch where you have to click "driving on the right" first and then you can change it to left.

Checked this morning and it had reverted back to right, so as was said above, definitely currently needs re-setting for every journey.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts