Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
465 Posts
Matrix headlights are my favourite feature - no idea what my left/right setting is configured as, but I've never been flashed by an oncoming driver or seemingly dazzled the car in front...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Matrix headlights are my favourite feature - no idea what my left/right setting is configured as, but I've never been flashed by an oncoming driver or seemingly dazzled the car in front...
I agree. You simply have to get the matrix headlights. Never blinded anyone. I was following a friend of mine and he said my headlights improved his vision ahead as they were projecting light to the left and right of his car and he was getting the benefit.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour, Stonewashed Blue
48 Posts
One of the best things about the matrix headlights is that they reduce the blinding effects on you of oncoming headlights when on a narrow road. Without them, once you've dipped your own beams until an oncoming car has gone past, you can lose visibility of the nearside edge of the road in front of you because of the brightness of the oncoming car's lights. But with the matrix lights on, it keeps the whole of the road on your side and to the left lit up with full beam all the time, so you never lose lane visibility directly in front.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
Wow, I never realised just how close i was to death by not having the matrix headlights. I assumed that the led headlights on my many previous cars were good enough to be able to drive at night How wrong I was!

To be honest, matrix headlights are okay, but if you want a Life model that does not have them, don't think that the headlights are somehow dangerous or unusable, it is just that Matrix headlights are good.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
465 Posts
Wow, I never realised just how close i was to death by not having the matrix headlights. I assumed that the led headlights on my many previous cars were good enough to be able to drive at night How wrong I was!

To be honest, matrix headlights are okay, but if you want a Life model that does not have them, don't think that the headlights are somehow dangerous or unusable, it is just that Matrix headlights are good.
I struggle with night vision thanks to having a corneal ulcer in my 20s, so while the matrix lights might not be a life saver they are a big help compared to all previous cars I've owned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OP here - just coming back with an update.

The car I'm looking at is the Life, 58kwh, 150kw pro performance (which is about £1.2k extra v the std motor) with Derry wheels (£650 option)

Drive the deal came in at £26.4k for this spec and my local dealer in N Ireland is coming in at £27.2k for this spec - so a bit more expensive, but a lot more convenient too and would save a flight and return ferry trip. Overall, it looks like a good value buy.

Any final thoughts before I pull the trigger - I mean - this is a good deal, right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sorry, just to add. I'm not aware of any other EV's around this price range which are as nippy as the ID3, decent range etc. I know the Leaf is a decent car, but I've already had a MK1 Leaf, and would like to put my bum in something different :)

Just a final shout out in case there are other cars that I should maybe look at. I don't want anything with a small boot though, which rules out the likes of Corsa e and whatnot

thanks!

·
Registered
946 Posts
OP here - just coming back with an update.

The car I'm looking at is the Life, 58kwh, 150kw pro performance (which is about £1.2k extra v the std motor) with Derry wheels (£650 option)

Drive the deal came in at £26.4k for this spec and my local dealer in N Ireland is coming in at £27.2k for this spec - so a bit more expensive, but a lot more convenient too and would save a flight and return ferry trip. Overall, it looks like a good value buy.

Any final thoughts before I pull the trigger - I mean - this is a good deal, right?
If you were on the mainland, I'd be prepared to travel for £800 difference, but in your situation in NI, paying that extra £800 is worth the convenience factor IMO - go for it.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Time for a last min haggle. I got rubber mats and a granny charger thrown in for free (£300+ worth to me). Tried to get them to upsell me a Pro Performance (I went for pro) for an extra £500 but they didnt get back to me about that :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Went to VW today to go about checking out the car with a view to purchase

Will be doing that on Friday

Car is great in the flesh - love how it looks and while I prepared myself for a low rent interior (based on YouTube and pics) I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not to bad at all - would love leather seats for example but it's still a nice cabin, and feels spacious.

The interior space of a Passat, footprint of a Golf, and turning circle of an Up - looks like they've achieved getting the good bits of 3 cars into one- good job VW

The ID4 looks great in the flesh too - would go for one tbh, although the more engaging drive of the ID3 just influences me towards ID3 - but very impressed with the ID4

Of all the EVs recently released, the Ioniq 5 and Polestar 2 are cars that have really impressed me - and i can definitely add the ID3 to the list. Not quite as good as those 2 cars in isolation IMO, but when you look at price points, the VW is very good bang for buck - definitely one of the best EVs around.

I test drive the MG ZS a short time ago, which is about the same price - and in my view - the VW offers the same bang for buck, but also, looks way better as well as driving way better

So yeah- happy with today's visit and will be finalising the deal on Friday!

·
EGGY
1,645 Posts
What are they quoting for delivery date ? My local dealer is quoting 6-8 months !

Definantly seeing more on the roads locally now, it's model 3, taycan, ID.3 round here these days

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
567 Posts
Went to VW today to go about checking out the car with a view to purchase

Will be doing that on Friday

Car is great in the flesh - love how it looks and while I prepared myself for a low rent interior (based on YouTube and pics) I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not to bad at all - would love leather seats for example but it's still a nice cabin, and feels spacious.

The interior space of a Passat, footprint of a Golf, and turning circle of an Up - looks like they've achieved getting the good bits of 3 cars into one- good job VW

The ID4 looks great in the flesh too - would go for one tbh, although the more engaging drive of the ID3 just influences me towards ID3 - but very impressed with the ID4

Of all the EVs recently released, the Ioniq 5 and Polestar 2 are cars that have really impressed me - and i can definitely add the ID3 to the list. Not quite as good as those 2 cars in isolation IMO, but when you look at price points, the VW is very good bang for buck - definitely one of the best EVs around.

I test drive the MG ZS a short time ago, which is about the same price - and in my view - the VW offers the same bang for buck, but also, looks way better as well as driving way better

So yeah- happy with today's visit and will be finalising the deal on Friday!
The ‘interior quality’ thing is largely YouTube myth and people who have never even seen inside an ID3. For me and the wife it is the best car interior we have ever had. Because it is fresh and minimalist and adds to the calm and quiet feeling of the car.
Enjoy your purchase. It’s a great buy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
What are they quoting for delivery date ? My local dealer is quoting 6-8 months !

Definantly seeing more on the roads locally now, it's model 3, taycan, ID.3 round here these days
26 weeks they told me - they also said the wait time is getting longer and longer as time passes - and that the wait time for ICE cars is even longer

The dealer normally has around 400 cars for sale typically, across new cars and used cars. Yesterday - the stock level was a grand total of 6! (Thats VW Belfast, so I'm assuming thats NI's largest VW dealership)

So if you went to VW Belfast in need of a car urgently, there is a grand total of 6 cars to choose from - crazy times!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The ‘interior quality’ thing is largely YouTube myth and people who have never even seen inside an ID3. For me and the wife it is the best car interior we have ever had. Because it is fresh and minimalist and adds to the calm and quiet feeling of the car.
Enjoy your purchase. It’s a great buy.
Indeed. Sitting in the back too, no shortage of head room and knee room and plenty of room for feet to go under the seat in front if you want to stretch your legs a little more. My son is quite tall for a 15 year old - almost 6ft. I'm 6ft and felt there was plenty of space to be comfortable in the back. It ticks a lot of boxes this car.

One thing I didn't actually realise was the black roof on all cars. I mistakenly assumed that it was only pano roof cars had that. Looks really nice.

Gotta say though - the pano roof is really nice. Its £2.5k ish to add that option (and you get some other toys along with it) or else, upgrade to family. I'm not going to get it but I can see why some people like it - makes it really nice, especially for those back seat passengers.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
567 Posts
Indeed. Sitting in the back too, no shortage of head room and knee room and plenty of room for feet to go under the seat in front if you want to stretch your legs a little more. My son is quite tall for a 15 year old - almost 6ft. I'm 6ft and felt there was plenty of space to be comfortable in the back. It ticks a lot of boxes this car.

One thing I didn't actually realise was the black roof on all cars. I mistakenly assumed that it was only pano roof cars had that. Looks really nice.

Gotta say though - the pano roof is really nice. Its £2.5k ish to add that option (and you get some other toys along with it) or else, upgrade to family. I'm not going to get it but I can see why some people like it - makes it really nice, especially for those back seat passengers.
I had a visit from my brother, his wife, daughter and dog. We drove around the weekend with 5 in the car and dog in the boot and it felt no different to drive, smooth and responsive. We did pump up the back tyres to 40ish though. When they went I left the tyres high for a while and actually quite liked that suspension feel…

41 - 58 of 58 Posts