Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sorry if this has been seen elsewhere in the forum, but I'm hoping I've beat henry with his news feed !!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, looks pretty good all round. I considered the I pace a year or so ago, but if you could get the tor for about £45k, it would probably be my next EV.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like a good proposition but why have standard 50kW DC on an 80kWh battery thats getting on for 90 minute charge stops just give 125 as standard. Joe public will be miffed if they dont spec faster charge speed and have to wait over an hour to charge on a trip

·
Registered
267 Posts
This was discussed on insideevs podcast/youtube last week. Selling on secondhand was broached and not knowing what charge rate the car would be able to use. 50kW today is considered slow for the larger batteries. This is a VW group upselling practice reasonable basic price but the car you want is another £10K.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well the list price is several thousand cheaper than both the Kona, the eNiro and the Leaf e+ so assuming the PCP and PCH deals reflect this, then I'd imagine a fair few buyers looking for a long range EV will switch across to the Enyaq, forcing the prices on these downward.

The competition will also help with the affordability of existing cars when they enter the second hand market, after all if the going price for a 62kWh vehicle has now come down several thousand that will filter through to the used market.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Looks like a good proposition but why have standard 50kW DC on an 80kWh battery thats getting on for 90 minute charge stops just give 125 as standard. Joe public will be miffed if they dont spec faster charge speed and have to wait over an hour to charge on a trip
Why? I don't understand this logic. Just stop sooner for 3rd charge. Assuming 1st charge starts your SOC is 10% or less, meaning you still have 8kwh range left, a 50KW should run flat out for a hour meaning you will add 50kw. So you leave 2nd charge 1 hr with 58kwh and can do easily 200 miles. This means by the 3rd charge you must have travel at least 500 miles. A 2nd 1 hr 50kwh charge and another 200miles of range and you have now done 700 miles and have traveled the whole length of the country and still have 100 miles of range left. Lands end to John O Groats is only 603 miles by road. Mind you this will be at 60-70mph max speeds.

It's only the ICE crowd must travel everywhere at 90mph that kills range that really want 100kw+ charging speeds, because without it someone doing the same journey @ 70mph max above the 90mph max range will actually arrive quicker due to less charging breaks, and we cant have that now can we.

I'm sure 100kw + will be upgrade extra for a few thousand, but with the ability to add 200 miles of range in 1 hr in such a small country is it needed? Especially as you should always be starting the day full with 300+ miles of range.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why? I don't understand this logic. Just stop sooner for 3rd charge. Assuming 1st charge starts your SOC is 10% or less, meaning you still have 8kwh range left, a 50KW should run flat out for a hour meaning you will add 50kw. So you leave 2nd charge 1 hr with 58kwh and can do easily 200 miles. This means by the 3rd charge you must have travel at least 500 miles. A 2nd 1 hr 50kwh charge and another 200miles of range and you have now done 700 miles and have traveled the whole length of the country and still have 100 miles of range left. Lands end to John O Groats is only 603 miles by road. Mind you this will be at 60-70mph max speeds.

It's only the ICE crowd must travel everywhere at 90mph that kills range that really want 100kw+ charging speeds, because without it someone doing the same journey @ 70mph max above the 90mph max range will actually arrive quicker due to less charging breaks, and we cant have that now can we.

I'm sure 100kw + will be upgrade extra for a few thousand, but with the ability to add 200 miles of range in 1 hr in such a small country is it needed? Especially as you should always be starting the day full with 300+ miles of range.
I'm afraid that is from your point of view. For an older couple who have to stop regularly for "Breaks" (!) if you can grab a quick 10 minute charge at a high rate while you're walking, peeing and walking back, you can get the same range but without having to stop for 2 hour+ breaks as well as the other "breaks"

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm afraid that is from your point of view. For an older couple who have to stop regularly for "Breaks" (!) if you can grab a quick 10 minute charge at a high rate while you're walking, peeing and walking back, you can get the same range but without having to stop for 2 hour+ breaks as well as the other "breaks"
You would still add 8kwh @ 50kw flat out per 10 min pee break, or 0.8333kwh per min, if longer / short, so with a large battery that allows flat out charging with no taper it's always worth it, as long as the charger charges per kwh and not on fixed time. anyway it's available, you will just need to pay for it if you want / need it.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,922 Posts
Well Mr Cooper, I don't think that you need to worry about a slow uptake on this car. I doubt if they can make them fast enough!
Skoda have a winner in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
For an older couple that have to stop for regular breaks....

1. they will be stopping often anyway so that means they can charge easily as well at the same time.
2. 10 mins after plugging in to get to the loo and get back..... You sticking them on a fast mobility scooter or something :D never going to happen at most service areas currently out there lol

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
50kw as standard is a little annoying, and the options list is pretty massive, so some care required to make sure you actually get the things you want/need. It is a very appealing car though.

I guess for longer trips, the bigger battery means instead of stopping just to charge, you can actually make it to a "proper" stop where you might want some food and whatnot, and might therefore be stopped for longer anyway. If it can realistically do 250miles, then its very likely you can do a good 4 hours of driving in it, then stop for lunch for ~an hour and get a nice decent charge. Clearly 125kw charging would be nicer though as it just gives more options and flexibility

I like that they've gone with a very upright "estate car" look, rather than the horrible "coupe suv" look that seems popular at the moment.

The 4wd 80x model also looks pretty interesting though it doesnt appear on the UK configurator.

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
424 Posts

Sorry if this has been seen elsewhere in the forum, but I'm hoping I've beat henry with his news feed !!
I predict that in two years time all non-city EVs will have greater than 300 mile range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts