Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, it's a very useful source!!

So I am in the market for a new car, live in the UK and I really want an EV.
I've been very excited about the Kia E-Niro for a while now, but I have no idea when they will be available over here.
Am I better off waiting for Kia, or go for something like the Kona or MG? I need a car big enough for a dog to go in the boot and a child seat in the back.

Thanks

·
Chartered Engineer
1,848 Posts
Both the Kia and the Hyundai seem to be in very short supply, but there have been some very good reports about the MG EV and it's very reasonably priced. If you look for James and Kate on YouTube, they have recently got a MG ZS EV and are very complimentary (at least they were the last time I looked). They have run a Tesla Model S for a few years and have reviewed a lot of EVs so give a fairly objective view.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

I need to watch more MG videos on YouTube. So far I've heard it is fairly cheap, and you get what you pay for....

He is a Border Collie, so I'd like a reasonable sized boot for him to lay down in.

My current daily commute is around a 60 mile round trip, but we also make regular 100+ mile journeys to see in-laws which is why the range of the Niro made an EV so interesting in the first place

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
To be honest a Leaf or Zoe would be fine range wise and you can get some good deals on them.

eGolf should be OK too, but maybe a bit borderline over 100 miles.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The boot in the MG ZS EV is big enough for the dog with no problem.
Boot in the Golf is a little smaller.
Just consider the dog may find it harder to jump into a small SUV depending on age of course.
The ZS will complete your 100+ mile trip no problem.
You will need to charge at the in laws house on the “Granny” for your return trip.
The eNero boot is a little smaller, but it has the ability to do the trip without a charge.
A much more expensive price tag for that extra range.
Oh ...... and maybe a 12 - 14 month wait time also !.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
If range is sufficient, personally I would look at the current deals on Leaf. Boot is plenty big enough. It has scheduled charging and an app (thanks sometimes works) good safety and future values are more certain than MG.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
I would get a charging point, especially as you could save money charging on a cheap EV overnight tariff such as Octopus Go. Also means you are sorted if you upgrade to a BEV later.

If you do decide to just use slow 10A granny, check the plug and socket regularly - I forgot when in rental property and bottom of plug melted. Could have been far worse... Also a dedicated socket is safer - certainly avoid a ring with other high loads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts