Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if its technically possible to fit a 2nd 16A charger to the Volt and connect it in Parallel with the existing 16A charger? This would theoretically allow 32A charging of the car through the same single port.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It's not as simple as that - the electronics in the car are only geared up to talk to a single charger, and the charging circuitry is set up for 16A. If you connected up two in parallel, you would just end up with two very confused charging points!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Presumably, if you had an out of warranty Volt/Ampera, you could retrofit a 32A charger, but I suspect the work involved would far outweigh the benefits, as it seems the whole system is quite tightly tied together.

·
Super Moderator
7,535 Posts
Can't see why not, it's been done for the Leaf already!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Ampera appears to charge faster downhill on regen to me. If this is true then it must be charging at a higher rate than 16 amps.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It charges at up to 60kW if you break hard from (say) 70mph - use the new charging gadget thing on the control panel. However the 240V a.c. charger is different to the 375V d.c. feed from the recharging motor so you can't compare them - only the final stage where the electricity is fed back into the battery will be common.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I doubt it it possible to simply fit a second charger but people have successfully upgraded the internal charger (in a Leaf anyway), by installing a "Brusa". Like this:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
As a soon to be newbie Ampera owner (Thursday), I will be interested in a 32A charge rate and actually have a couple of Brusa chargers knocking about.
It would be interesting to look into the feasibility of adding another charger and depending on the safeguards built in, may be possible to parallel the Brusa charger programmed as a cc charge profile only, letting the onboard charger take over with the CV lower current charge completion.

First things first and I need the car. :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton
1 - 9 of 9 Posts