Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I only asked because I have seen the ‘turning off non essential DC message’. The jury is out as to whether leaving an i3 plugged in will maintain 12 volt battery charge. It was suggested to me that the best way to maintain 12 volt battery health is to turn the i3 on a couple of times a week. This will engage the DC to DC 12 volt converter which runs for about 30 minutes after the car is locked. A few people suggested that simply unlocking and locking the doors would also turn on the DC to DC converter.

I agree that the BMW has built in a failsafe in that simple plugging in an i3 with a discharged battery will, after 30 minutes or do, start a 12 volt battery charge. I am trying to avoid getting into that state.

· Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am sure you know better, but I will continue to follow the official guidelines.....
I agree; however, it has been suggested to me that the simple act of turning the car on (or just opening a door) is enough to start the DC to DC converter which supposedly continues to run for about 30 minutes after the car is locked. I confess that yesterday I decided to charge the tyres using an electric compressor. There are some reports that when doing this the DC discharge rate will exceed the charging rate so I confess that I powered up the car (making sure it was in park and handbrake on) and climbed out of the passenger door before using the compressor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.