Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there all

in a few weeks, i am picking up a 2018 94aH BEV i3. It will be used mainly for local short journeys and school run so range is fine. The question revolves around how best to get it home.

The BMW dealer has offered to deliver it to us, a journey of 200 miles, but oddly, they don’t use a transport company and get someone to drive it over. That’s fine albeit not ideal as i’d rather inspect the car at deal er rather than dirty after a drive. Plus, as it needs new tyres all round and is having front pads/discs to meet BMW AUC standards, i’d rather check it all over in person

Coincidentally, we are going to be coming back from half term hols and only need to make a 25 mile detour to the dealer in a few weeks which coincides with when the car will be ready. So i thought i’d collect it myself on our way home and avoid any issues with someone else driving it to us.

questiion is realistic range on motorway speeds.I have downloaded zap map etc and done some research but thre seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there on range.

What should i expect? It will start with full charge but i am guessing i should allow max 100 mile range at 70mph, so a useable 60-70 miles between charges? Or is that too pessimistic? It would mean 2 stops en route.

Also, if i slowed to 55mph or 60 (not ideal on a motorway anyway), what would impact be? If it means only 1 stop it may be worth it, but if i am going to have to do 2 stops anyway, may as well drive go at 70.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi there all

in a few weeks, i am picking up a 2018 94aH BEV i3. It will be used mainly for local short journeys and school run so range is fine. The question revolves around how best to get it home.

The BMW dealer has offered to deliver it to us, a journey of 200 miles, but oddly, they don’t use a transport company and get someone to drive it over. That’s fine albeit not ideal as i’d rather inspect the car at deal er rather than dirty after a drive. Plus, as it needs new tyres all round and is having front pads/discs to meet BMW AUC standards, i’d rather check it all over in person

Coincidentally, we are going to be coming back from half term hols and only need to make a 25 mile detour to the dealer in a few weeks which coincides with when the car will be ready. So i thought i’d collect it myself on our way home and avoid any issues with someone else driving it to us.

questiion is realistic range on motorway speeds.I have downloaded zap map etc and done some research but thre seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there on range.

What should i expect? It will start with full charge but i am guessing i should allow max 100 mile range at 70mph, so a useable 60-70 miles between charges? Or is that too pessimistic? It would mean 2 stops en route.

Also, if i slowed to 55mph or 60 (not ideal on a motorway anyway), what would impact be? If it means only 1 stop it may be worth it, but if i am going to have to do 2 stops anyway, may as well drive go at 70.

Thanks
Check out ABRP. It's a great tool that tends to be super accurate at working out how far you will get with your car at what speed, where is best to charge, how long to charge for etc.

Put your exact route in, tell it what car, and for extra accuracy feel free to go into the detailed settings and add information like weather data too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out ABRP. It's a great tool that tends to be super accurate at working out how far you will get with your car at what speed, where is best to charge, how long to charge for etc.

Put your exact route in, tell it what car, and for extra accuracy feel free to go into the detailed settings and add information like weather data too.

Thanks, helpful.
Says i may need between 4 and 5 stops!! Eeek

·
Registered
BMW i3
477 Posts
Hi there all

Thanks
Congratulations on the purchase, great little cars.

Coincidentally we did the longest trip thus far in our 94Ah yesterday - 143 miles with 4% left, so could have nearly got to 150.

Mainly A roads and motorway with some town to start, I was taking it easy as didn’t want to stop to charge (after seeing how busy the chargers were on the outward leg) - 60/ 65mph on the motorway and A roads, mix of EcoPro and EcoPro+ to save a little juice!

It was 19 degrees so ideal conditions, probably colder in a few weeks but you should be able to one stop it easily - just find a suitable Instavolt/ Osprey or perhaps a Gridserve charger en-route. (got ZapMap?)

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
115 Posts
Just double check they've charged the car before you collect. If it's a BMW main dealer they are notorious for what I would consider a basic requirement.

Anyway, congratulations on the purchase. Enjoy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For 200 miles? Something wrong there!
yes, it did seem pessimistic.

i set it so that it started with 100%, went to no lower than 20%, and charged to max 80%.

I’ll make a mental note of where the best charge stops are for initial leg and just keep going as far as i sensible can, then take it from there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just double check they've charged the car before you collect. If it's a BMW main dealer they are notorious for what I would consider a basic requirement.

Yep, good point. They said they would but will check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yep, good point. They said they would but will check.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Honestly I think if you do that journey, as soon as you get home, you’ll be arranging for the dealer to collect it and refund it.

Get someone else to do the crap unsuitable motorway journey, use it for its intended purpose when it turns up, and you’ll be much happier.

Edit: also you can still inspect it when it’s delivered. If it doesn’t look good, tell the guy to turn round and take it straight back. I also think delivery may strengthen your return options under distance selling rules, but I’m not a scumbag… sorry, lawyer.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Keep it around 60 - 65 mph as steady as possible anticipate and use regen when you have to slow. Put the car in Eco Pro otherwise you will very quickly get addicted to the rapid but battery draining acceleration. Then you should only need to charge the car up once to get home after about 100 miles.

Charging on a rapid an i3 does not slow down the charging rate until the battery is over 90% full.

Some comments on this thread seem to come from folk who have never driven or owned an i3. My 94Ah i3 turns in about 150 miles in summer and about 120 miles in the depths of winter. Reset the trip and put the display on % capacity. That will give you all the information you need and then aim for 15 miles every 10% if you want to drive it to get the most miles out of the charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep it around 60 - 65 mph as steady as possible anticipate and use regen when you have to slow. Put the car in Eco Pro otherwise you will very quickly get addicted to the rapid but battery draining acceleration. Then you should only need to charge the car up once to get home after about 100 miles.

Charging on a rapid an i3 does not slow down the charging rate until the battery is over 90% full.

Some comments on this thread seem to come from folk who have never driven or owned an i3. My 94Ah i3 turns in about 150 miles in summer and about 120 miles in the depths of winter. Reset the trip and put the display on % capacity. That will give you all the information you need and then aim for 15 miles every 10% if you want to drive it to get the most miles out of the charge.
thanks, useful info, especially that i can charge up to 90%.
I am relaxed about 2 stops on way home especially as they don’t need to be long stops. But 4 or 5 will do my head in i suspect!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Take it easy and 100miles should be doable. That’s a one stop journey if you don’t mind charging to 90%.

Does it have a heat pump? Remember cold weather can reduce range significantly and it might be a bit chilly in a few more weeks. I’d personally make it a two stop journey if it’s cold.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My understanding is that this car has a 27kwh USABLE battery. Seeing as no EV achieves better than 4mls/kwh at 70mph thats a range of 108mls at 70mph. Now thats on a warm day with no heater and no head wind.

I have run my car down to a few miles range and i would not want to encourage a new comer to do that.

Two choices seem to be a 2 stop or max speed 60mph (only if no head wind). This will keep range anxiety under control.

People do not seem to take enough notice of wind direction but it sure does make a difference with my most anxious times being when driving into a strong head wind.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 w/ Onto
50 Posts
We did a 220mi trip a handful of times with our 120Ah i3. One stop was more than possible, but with the 94Ah, particularly if you're getting used to the car may be safer to plan for two. There's no way you'd need 4/5 unless you're driving like a maniac.

The i3, thanks to its small battery and consistent charge curve fills up quicker than you'd think and was usually ready to go before we were on a charging stop. If you're comfortable keeping your speed to ~65mph then you'll get significantly more as well, particularly if you've got a headwind as suggested by others.

They're a lovely car - hope it goes well for you!

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Without knowing rough start and end points its hard to say.
But I picked up my first leaf from Newcastle and drove it back to manchester without issue, 30wkh.
And the second leaf from Bristol to Manchester again. Charging is much easier than it used to be as i had to use the EH app when units were not on freevend.

Yes i know they are not i3's but the network is better

·
Registered
Blue BMW i3s 94ah 2018
110 Posts
We bought our i3s (non Rex) in North London and considered driving it 500miles home to Scotland. With hindsight, this would have been an epic first off adventure for us! Never having driven an EV ( other than test drives), planning and charging would have been somewhat stressful I am certain. We opted for flatbed truck delivery.

We've had a few 100 mile round trips with no changing. 20 miles to spare.

We have also learnt (not on the longer journeys but in general) is that Rapid isn’t so rapid. best to budget 30mins for a Rapid charge to regain range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Temperature will be key. I do a 60 mile each way commute in my 94ah (with heat pump). On the way in on Monday with a 7 degree ambient and a bit of heat on I used about 55% of the charge, on the way back at 16 degrees I used 44%. I tend to run in Eco Pro+ if I don’t need any heating or cooling, but switch on the cruise control to override the 56mph limiter so I can do 60-65 on the motorways and dual carriageways so I’m not getting in the way of the trucks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts