Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks all for the feedback.Will suck it and see, am not going to aim for one stop but seems easily do-able with two. In no rush either.

If we we weren't nearby on our way home from hols, i would have them deliver but given it's not a big detour, i'd rather collect and inspect etc

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Last Friday in my 94Ah Rex I did a round trip of 129 miles and got home with 18% left. I was doing about 55mph on the motorway. Yes I know I could have just used the Rex but I wanted to see what I could get out of the battery.
Spot on. I would echo the experience of about 55 mph being about the optimum for range in good weather with steady running with an i3 yielding a total discharge range of about 157 miles for a 94Ah. At these speeds and in good weather the battery tends to sit at optimum temperature without active cooling or heating draining energy. Air flow under the car seems to balance the heating from the battery discharge rate.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Last Friday in my 94Ah Rex I did a round trip of 129 miles and got home with 18% left. I was doing about 55mph on the motorway. Yes I know I could have just used the Rex but I wanted to see what I could get out of the battery.
Trouble is on a busy motorway a 55 mph cruise is going to keep you being overtaken by trucks, you won’t be their favourite vehicle ;)🚗

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
697 Posts
Real world says that your journey will be over quicker by driving faster and charging longer. At "normal" motorway speed they just aren't that efficient, the aerodynamics are a bit sucky and even if you can rightly claim you should get a solid 100 miles you're going to be panicking looking for a charger if you try it so aim for 80 miles per leg and don't have a heart attack.

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,171 Posts
I aim to get 110 miles out of our 94Ah at a speed of around 60mph. So I would plan for 2 stops, and then you don't need to worry about your speed (or the weather). I would always charge to at least 98% ('a bird in the hand...') - note, you can't set an upper limit so you just unplug once you're too bored to stay longer.

Reactions: KSS_i3

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback.Will suck it and see, am not going to aim for one stop but seems easily do-able with two. In no rush either.

If we we weren't nearby on our way home from hols, i would have them deliver but given it's not a big detour, i'd rather collect and inspect etc
A prudent call for a first major trip. Far better to discover you could have done it with one stop than to find out you cannot do it without two stops. Have a lovely trip getting to know and enjoying the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Cheers all, on holiday from Sat and we collect on Sat 23rd on way home.

Trying to sort a charger install, lead times are long but sort of inevitable right now, so will end up using the granny charger for a month or so

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Trouble is on a busy motorway a 55 mph cruise is going to keep you being overtaken by trucks, you won’t be their favourite vehicle ;)🚗
Are these the trucks that are limited to 56mph and sometimes slower...
I don't think they'd be overtaken by many lorries 🤣🤣
Drama queen.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts