Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Macman
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, As the title suggests my drivers side external trim flew off on the motorway the other day!! Very surprised that this should happen and lucky it did not hit another car. I have covered over 4000 miles since I got it and did due diligence before I bought, so I don’t know if screen ever changed but doesn’t look like it has. I understand it’s a plastic car but quite surprised by this happening. Just out of 3 year warranty by 6 weeks. Has anyone any experience of this happening and is it costly to get a new one and colour code it. Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi, As the title suggests my drivers side external trim flew off on the motorway the other day!! Very surprised that this should happen and lucky it did not hit another car. I have covered over 4000 miles since I got it and did due diligence before I bought, so I don’t know if screen ever changed but doesn’t look like it has. I understand it’s a plastic car but quite surprised by this happening. Just out of 3 year warranty by 6 weeks. Has anyone any experience of this happening and is it costly to get a new one and colour code it. Thanks
Funnily enough I've been hearing some noises coming from the passenger side A pillar in the strong winds we've had recently and the thought had crossed my mind that the external trim might be coming loose. Interesting to hear your experience I might have a look later to make sure it's well secured!

Can't help with sourcing a replacement unfortunately, though.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had a bit come off my Saab's roof some years ago. It had just been in for accident repairs, so I guess not put back correctly. I wonder if your i3 had this item removed at a body shop before you acquired it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look closely where the trim came off. look for adhesive left behind after a repair. look for signs of any tools being used to remove the trim, scratch marks etc.
closely inspect the glass, look in the corners for the brand or make of screen. If it has been replaced its unlikely with a genuine BMW screen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are a few of these listed on eBay which might be a cheaper option for you - assuming all fixing points are intact?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts