Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ooh, controversial?!

Bear with me. I have driven each one about a dozen times today, one after the other, again and again and again, but no more than a few car lengths each time.

Yes - it's showtime again, and as I'm the only one in the team who has driven a RHD Model S, I got to position the one we've kindly been lent, along with an i3 and a Nissan Leaf too. All flipping afternoon, as the "thinking" on our stand space "evolved".

The Model S is brilliant right up until, as a big fella, one needs to get in and out of it a bunch of times. It's like a Tardis, only in reverse. Anything in my right trouser pocket gets crushed against the pillar on the way out *every* *single* *time*. I almost fall out.

The Leaf is slightly better, but still a little bit of a scoochy squeeze to get in and out. The lack of reach in the wheel does for my knees on both ingress and egress as well.

In comparison, the i3 is like checking into my favourite suite. It's so easy - the raised altitude and the seating position seems to make a mile more room twixt squab and wheel.

Usually, test drives in unfamiliar vehicles are a little surreal. You don't really know all the controls, you take your time, you change things from the previous driver, you learn just enough to make it go and stop, you're excited etc. Ease of entry was never something I paid attention to.

It's not exactly a replication of living with a single car, but having all three cars familiar to the point where you just get in and go, and in and out of all three in no more than a minute, the difference was so noticeable it really did hammer home that such a simple thing as getting in and out without contortion really does matter to me.

·
Registered
705 Posts
A good point. One I'd the reasons I was not keen on the i3 was the half doors on the back, but Ivan now see an advantage in not having a central pillar. I too have difficulty in getting out of the Ampera in narrow parking spaces.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
When I picked mine up, Tesla mentioned that some people have created a special "exit" driver profile, which moves the steering wheel out of the way, and lines up the seat for optimal accessibility.

Wouldn't have helped much if you were jumping in and out all day to move it around a stand! For general use it seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I am sure the Outlander PHEV would be easier to get in to and out of too, horses for courses I suppose, I imagine the i3 also loses out on aero efficiency by being taller though. Personally I too prefer a higher driving position.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its must be technique, I am 6'1 and never have an issue getting in and out, you just have do it the "tesla" way
I haven't been six-one since I was 14 :cool:

I have short legs (a mere 31") and this is combined with considerable "stability" around the mid-section. I'm sure you're more streamlined.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I knew which @Mark J Constable was the correct Google image search results I'd be busy in Photoshop right now. :D
Amazingly I don't crop up. The most famous one is the ex-GB badminton player, who two of my school friends assumed I was at my 20 year reunion. I wish.

As it happens I do have a picture very similar to @Brooktop's post of me in the Delta S4 with the door open. I'll try and dig it out- there was no shutting it!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Laugh it up, fuzzballs...

Attachments

Reactions: Jimbo and Brooktop

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Is that an induction charging plate in front?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Vaguely back on topic, I drove MINIs for years and despite being small (it was OK, the "original" new MINI was shorter than the Ford Ka of the time, just) it was really roomy up front, for the driver (the person who matters). I knew many taller folk who agreed and loved the seating position(s) available. So to me it's not really surprising the i3 is good up front too. I find BMWs generally that I've driven have good seating, even in different models (the big X ranges, the M/Sport editions, and the Roadsters).

·
Banned
200 Posts
Hi,

After reading this topic I was going to suggest that the Model S makes up for the less comfortable situation with a lower center of gravity and reduced rollover risk. But as I looked more into the subject it turned into a topic of its own. Because it was inspired by and is indirectly related to this topic, I thought I will write the link here:

Rollover risk of EVs and ICE cars
https://speakev.com/threads/rollover-risk-of-evs-and-ice-cars.3979/

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vaguely back on topic, I drove MINIs for years and despite being small (it was OK, the "original" new MINI was shorter than the Ford Ka of the time, just) it was really roomy up front, for the driver (the person who matters). I knew many taller folk who agreed and loved the seating position(s) available. So to me it's not really surprising the i3 is good up front too. I find BMWs generally that I've driven have good seating, even in different models (the big X ranges, the M/Sport editions, and the Roadsters).
By happenstance I got a sit in the new 5 door Mini today, before it's actually launched in Oct. BMW brought one to the show and encased in a close fitting windowless marquee with zero external branding. Conflicted PR team????

Based on the same platform as the new 2 Series Active Tourer it was a roomy thing up front to be sure.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is that an induction charging plate in front?
Yes indeed - fitted with Qualcomm Halo hardware. We were doing some stuff with them and Renault on the IC Fluence, but the project was shelved.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
By happenstance I got a sit in the new 5 door Mini today, before it's actually launched in Oct. BMW brought one to the show and encased in a close fitting windowless marquee with zero external branding. Conflicted PR team????

Based on the same platform as the new 2 Series Active Tourer it was a roomy thing up front to be sure.
Saw a truck load (literally) over a month ago up close, clever packaging but I don't think it's very "mini" by any means.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts