Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My i3 is clicking on to charge (even when fully charged) for a few seconds when I unlock it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
636 Posts
My i3 is clicking on to charge (even when fully charged) for a few seconds when I unlock it. Any thoughts?
Not quite sure as to the issue, is it plugged in, is it away from the charger, how do you know it’s ”clicking on to charge” and not some other operation happening for a second?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,886 Posts
I remember mine doing this, seems entirely normal. If it’s fully charged, then it soon stops.

In fact, the e-Golf and ID.3 do this as well, although it’s just the green light comes on by the charging socket indicating ready, rather than actually charging.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
665 Posts
Usually it STOPS charging and unlocks the cable when you unlock the car. Though it may well resume charging shortly afterwards.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Yes, I remember it doing that as well, but when it was charged to 100% (or whatever set percentage) so not actively charging but still plugged in, it used to charge (I had a Rolec st the time and there was the usual clunk as the charge engaged) when I unlocked it, but stopped shortly afterwards or when the door was shut.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, I remember it doing that as well, but when it was charged to 100% (or whatever set percentage) so not actively charging but still plugged in, it used to charge (I had a Rolec st the time and there was the usual clunk as the charge engaged) when I unlocked it, but stopped shortly afterwards or when the door was shut.
That’s down to the way the Rolec operates rather than the i3 controlling anything surely?

As above ours always unlocks the cable lock when unlocking the car, maybe that’s the “click” sound the OP is hearing?

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
That’s down to the way the Rolec operates rather than the i3 controlling anything surely?
I don’t know, but there was something going on when the car was unlocked is what I’m saying, even though it was fully charged, when it was plugged in.

I don’t think it’s unusual for EVs to do that, it was trying to reassure the OP that it’s nothing to worry about is all.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The OP’s original post is a bit light on information which I wondered if it was just normal operation, but until we know whether the car was plugged in and what the EVSE type was it’s difficult to be precis.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
665 Posts
The evse won't ever close the main relays unless the car has asked it to, I know that much. It would be a major fault if it did.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Two I3s and three EVSEs on, I have always noted that the EVSE initiates when a door is unlocked, and the cable is plugged in, even when the battery is at 100%SOC. Whilst the LED usually shows green, I believe that the DC to DC converter kicks in when the car is unlocked. It usually stays on for c.30 minutes to charge the 12 volt battery. I should add that this only happens when my Zappi is set to Fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts