Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,320 Posts
My i3 is clicking on to charge (even when fully charged) for a few seconds when I unlock it. Any thoughts?
I remember mine doing this, seems entirely normal. If it’s fully charged, then it soon stops.

In fact, the e-Golf and ID.3 do this as well, although it’s just the green light comes on by the charging socket indicating ready, rather than actually charging.

· Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,320 Posts
Yes, I remember it doing that as well, but when it was charged to 100% (or whatever set percentage) so not actively charging but still plugged in, it used to charge (I had a Rolec st the time and there was the usual clunk as the charge engaged) when I unlocked it, but stopped shortly afterwards or when the door was shut.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Yes, I remember it doing that as well, but when it was charged to 100% (or whatever set percentage) so not actively charging but still plugged in, it used to charge (I had a Rolec st the time and there was the usual clunk as the charge engaged) when I unlocked it, but stopped shortly afterwards or when the door was shut.
That’s down to the way the Rolec operates rather than the i3 controlling anything surely?

As above ours always unlocks the cable lock when unlocking the car, maybe that’s the “click” sound the OP is hearing?

· Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,320 Posts
That’s down to the way the Rolec operates rather than the i3 controlling anything surely?
I don’t know, but there was something going on when the car was unlocked is what I’m saying, even though it was fully charged, when it was plugged in.

I don’t think it’s unusual for EVs to do that, it was trying to reassure the OP that it’s nothing to worry about is all.

· Registered
2,513 Posts
Two I3s and three EVSEs on, I have always noted that the EVSE initiates when a door is unlocked, and the cable is plugged in, even when the battery is at 100%SOC. Whilst the LED usually shows green, I believe that the DC to DC converter kicks in when the car is unlocked. It usually stays on for c.30 minutes to charge the 12 volt battery. I should add that this only happens when my Zappi is set to Fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.