Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I requested a quote on Carwow for an i3 and by the end of the same day I get the following message

"This model is now discontinued by the manufacturer and factory orders are now closed. You can obtain similar vehicles from existing dealer stock here or by configuring a new car. "

If I go to new order BMW is not even in the list for any model so maybe a BMW / Carwow issue.

Does anyone have the same issue?

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
Carwow may have their own opinion on the matter, but the i3 and i3s are both still in production with 120Ah batteries. All I can assume is you maybe selected a discontinued battery or trim level perhaps?

You're right though, their website doesn't show BMW at all in the new electric car section.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Hi, I requested a quote on Carwow for an i3 and by the end of the same day I get the following message

"This model is now discontinued by the manufacturer and factory orders are now closed. You can obtain similar vehicles from existing dealer stock here or by configuring a new car. "

If I go to new order BMW is not even in the list for any model so maybe a BMW / Carwow issue.

Does anyone have the same issue?
The reply when decoded makes the situation clear. The car looks to be on run-out i.e. sales will not stop until the stock has been cleared but factory production has ceased. With COVID BMW may have made a decision to cut the i3 and clear stocks before they launch the iX3. BMW will delay the announcement of the end of the i3 in order to avoid discounting to clear existing stock. Perhaps they have a lot of cars to shift and sales have slumped. If BMW had to cut back the i3 sadly would be first to go as it was not profitable for them but a great halo car. The iX3 will take over. Sad as I would have liked the final iteration of the i3 with a 50 kWh battery.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
The stop on factory orders may be just be between Carwow and BMW.

I found this dated 28 July 2020

Product Strategy: fully-electric models in high-volume series. The BMW Group is already a leading provider of electrified vehicles: By the end of 2021, the BMW Group will offer five fully-electric production vehicles: the BMW i3, the MINI Cooper SE, the BMW iX3, the BMW iNEXT and the BMW i4.

Ref: BMW Group makes sustainability and efficient resource management central to its strategic direction

I agree the iX3 is no substitute for the ultra efficient i3. The only good bits about the iX3 are the 5th generation drive train, the electric motor that needs no rare earth metals, and the 811 battery tech. All of which could find their way into the last revision of the i3. That would lift the i3 to another level for those who want efficient Wh per mile electric cars.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
992 Posts
The reply when decoded makes the situation clear. The car looks to be on run-out i.e. sales will not stop until the stock has been cleared but factory production has ceased. With COVID BMW may have made a decision to cut the i3 and clear stocks before they launch the iX3. BMW will delay the announcement of the end of the i3 in order to avoid discounting to clear existing stock. Perhaps they have a lot of cars to shift and sales have slumped. If BMW had to cut back the i3 sadly would be first to go as it was not profitable for them but a great halo car. The iX3 will take over. Sad as I would have liked the final iteration of the i3 with a 50 kWh battery.
I had a couple of business orders in for another 24 i3's total that was only placed a week or two ago and they were to be manufactured to order, not existing inventory to clear. They sadly had to be canceled for now, but I got a call within the last few days telling me if I need more later on they are happy to take another order anytime.

There is nothing to say that they are stopping production for now as far as I am concerned. Though there is likely to be a new model with upgraded battery announced in the not too distant future I imagine.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
The iX3 is no i3 equivalent. It is, frankly, a joke. So spectacularly underwhelming.
The iX3 is just an overpriced rip off of an MG ZS EV with minimal redeeming features apart from the badge for poseurs.

Reactions: Mr_G

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I had a couple of business orders in for another 24 i3's total that was only placed a week or two ago and they were to be manufactured to order, not existing inventory to clear. They sadly had to be canceled for now, but I got a call within the last few days telling me if I need more later on they are happy to take another order anytime.

There is nothing to say that they are stopping production for now as far as I am concerned. Though there is likely to be a new model with upgraded battery announced in the not too distant future I imagine.
That sounds like the production line is down at the moment perhaps for changes needed to produce a revised version. We can but hope. 811 battery tech in the i3 would make it an amazing car and cover any use case that required the 94Ah plus REx to get the range. PSA have already announced their platform can support 50kWh per m between the wheels. So an i3 ought to be capable of 50 kWh with a final revision.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
439 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I wish we could describe the i3 as "ultra efficient" but in reality its breeze-block aerodynamics put it low down the heap when it comes to distance cruising, and it's way outclassed by 2 tonne Teslas there.
A 160-200Ah model would be good, and it would be even better if they could step up the CCS charge speed to maintain the 30-minutes-to-80% timing too.
But I've certainly seen no evidence that BMW are cancelling production, nor that BMW have the guts to follow it up with anything equally radical. I suspect it will die the death after another couple of battery respins and BMW will go back to producing "more the same" and I'll be looking elsewhere for replacement vehicles.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I wish we could describe the i3 as "ultra efficient" but in reality its breeze-block aerodynamics put it low down the heap when it comes to distance cruising, and it's way outclassed by 2 tonne Teslas there.
A 160-200Ah model would be good, and it would be even better if they could step up the CCS charge speed to maintain the 30-minutes-to-80% timing too.
But I've certainly seen no evidence that BMW are cancelling production, nor that BMW have the guts to follow it up with anything equally radical. I suspect it will die the death after another couple of battery respins and BMW will go back to producing "more the same" and I'll be looking elsewhere for replacement vehicles.
You are right, the Tesla takes the efficiency crown at higher speeds, but below 55 mph the i3 with its low mass can get as low as 186 Wh per mile.

Likewise without a direct replacement the i3 will be the first and last BMW for me.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
You are right, the Tesla takes the efficiency crown at higher speeds, but below 55 mph the i3 with its low mass can get as low as 186 Wh per mile.

Likewise without a direct replacement the i3 will be the first and last BMW for me.
The i3 was an ultra efficient EV, back in 2014. 6 years on, BMW have squandered that advantage and simply updating the size of the battery hasn’t really done it.

It’s eclipsed now by many more traditional, not to mention more practical, EVs. It is more powerful than a lot of those though, which should be factored in, but it’s always been a car for me that couldn’t decide between being electric, being next generation, or being a BMW.

I liked mine, but don’t miss its quirks.

I hope they do keep manufacturing it, but 7 years is a long time for a BMW to be in production without a refresh (other than the aforementioned battery), and I wonder how long they will carry on. If it isn’t canned this year, it can’t be long.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I hope they do keep manufacturing it, but 7 years is a long time for a BMW to be in production without a refresh (other than the aforementioned battery), and I wonder how long they will carry on. If it isn’t canned this year, it can’t be long.
But if the i3 was launched today instead of 2013/14 it would still look fresh and interesting........to us there is just NO other EV that matches the i3 in its uniqueness.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
But if the i3 was launched today instead of 2013/14 it would still look fresh and interesting........to us there is just NO other EV that matches the i3 in its uniqueness.
Well, in fairness, I never said it wasn’t unique.

If you want unique, then yes, the i3 is up there.

Most people want an EV that has range and efficiency, and maybe practicality as well.

I actually quite liked the i3 suicide rear doors, but I know a lot of people hate them. I liked the power, and the interior space, the flat floor was eye opening at the time. I even liked the little frunk/froot.

But BMW didn’t keep developing it, it’s efficiency is ordinary by today’s standards, and throws away it’s weight advantage.

It’s now a sum of less than its parts, but I still think it’s a good EV, so please don’t get me wrong. I was really responding to the ‘ultra efficient‘ tag it was given. BMW work on 7 year life cycles I think, with a usual mid-life update which is why I’m wondering how long it will be around.

I‘d love to see what BMW could do with the i3 ‘Mk 2’.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, in fairness, I never said it wasn’t unique.

If you want unique, then yes, the i3 is up there.

Most people want an EV that has range and efficiency, and maybe practicality as well.

I actually quite liked the i3 suicide rear doors, but I know a lot of people hate them. I liked the power, and the interior space, the flat floor was eye opening at the time. I even liked the little frunk/froot.

But BMW didn’t keep developing it, it’s efficiency is ordinary by today’s standards, and throws away it’s weight advantage.

It’s now a sum of less than its parts, but I still think it’s a good EV, so please don’t get me wrong. I was really responding to the ‘ultra efficient‘ tag it was given. BMW work on 7 year life cycles I think, with a usual mid-life update which is why I’m wondering how long it will be around.

I‘d love to see what BMW could do with the i3 ‘Mk 2’.
I understand where your coming from, oddly we hate the rear doors, for anything other than throwing stuff in the back, as far as using them in car parks for rear passengers they are useless, bloomin’ annoying.

As for the rest of it, still without peer.

But yes I would wish BMW had plans for a Mk2 version without watering down the originality as it appears they are with the rest of their EV upcoming range, but hey.....it was a gamble for them and they did it with the right “chips” and along with the i8 gave BMW the publicity they needed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As a happy owner of 2017 i3 Rex 94Ah (49,500 miles and counting) I am more than a little curious and certainly hoping that this is a sign that there "may" be a new bigger battery i3 in the offing. The battery has been upgraded every 2 years or so and the 120Ah was released in September 2018....
If they could put a 50kWh (or a bit more) battery in the floor plan of the i3 AND upgrade the CCS charging speed to 100kw then this will be perfect. I would happily dump the Rex then. The problem with it now is that it just too expensive for what it offers compared to other EVs. As an example, we test drove the i3S yesterday. Still a fantastic drive and oh so quick and impressive, but wife has chosen the slower Peugeot e-208, as it is prettier in her eyes and a better all round EV (50kWh battery/100kw CCS/5 seater/bigger boot etc and in GT spec fully loaded). Delivery Nov/December though. They must either lower the price dramatically or it will die a death.Unless the internals are upgraded. As a car and piece of design, it fits our lifestyle perfectly, and remains a joy to drive.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I suppose opinions vary on the i3 depending on what you use it for. In 18 months we have only once had four people in the car, mainly it’s just a runaround for me. As such it’s quite brilliant. Airy and spacious inside and plenty of room for two sets of golf clubs with the rear seats lowered. Incredibly fast off the mark and very manoeuvrable. It’s a small car, not a family saloon and my only criticism is that it’s a bit skittish and the ride quality isn’t great but that‘s comparing it with my old three litre X5!

How many compact EVs are there out there with near perfect weight distribution, GRP not metal and using many recycled materials. It’s still the most innovative car out there.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,554 Posts
I though I recall seeing someone mention this end-of-i3 some number of threads ago?

·
Registered
385 Posts
To be fair it has been refreshed and the battery capacity has been doubled over the original. I am on my second I3. The first was a REx 94Ah with every option ticked. Now I have an I3s specced by a vegan with an aversion to black wheels. Every other option was ticked... I tried a Tesla M3, but this is better for me...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts